fred64

Joining squad to improve helicopters

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone,

My name is Fred Naar, and have been around ARMA3 forums for a while, mostly flying helicopters and trying to tweak the flight model in order to make it more realistic. After spending some times with the terrible Arma SDK and posting bug / improvements reports, I realized it was really going nowhere and slowly abandoned the project.

I am also the developer of Helicopter Total Realism (a.k.a. HTR ) for FSX and Prepar3D. I am still maintaining this project as it is currently used a lot in the helicopter community (we have a facebook group with over 10k members) as well as for professional training .... I was recently also contacted by the US Army as they are using HTR in their Pilot Training next program so I am helping them there B|...

I think that with his open architecture Squad is indeed the future of realistic cooperative military simulations, and this I believe involves helicopters as well . So  the reason I am here is to check if there's interest in a realistic flight model for helicopters in Squad.

Good news is that I am currently developing a realistic helicopter rescue game in Unreal Engine ( for those wanting to lean more, google Airland Helicopters) so I am already very familiar with Unreal Engine (C++ and Blueprints) and also the Squad SDK. Integrating our flight model library (a C++ library based on HTR) in any existing mod, should be relatively easy....

Thanks

Fred

Edited by fred64

Posted (edited)

I really enjoyed the skill level required to fly helis properly when playing Take On Helicopters and by the sounds of it you could certainly bring realism to Squads helis. Squad though is moving in a more casual direction, while trying to capture a larger player base, so I am not sure how welcome that realism would be.

Just off to check out Airland Helicopters.

Looks up my street. Anywhere I can keep up to date with progress?

Edited by Major Trouble
Updates

Posted (edited)

Hi, 

my idea is to implement something like the advanced flight model in Arma3, and maybe also help improve the easy flight model

Regarding my project, I think the best place is Helisimmer or the helicopter flight sim forum here. We do not post very often, but it is really advancing well... I would love to post some more info here, but I respect this is a Squad forum...

thanks !

Edited by fred64

Squad Heli mechanics definitely need work, sign this man!