Posted (edited)

So yesterday I received the answer again I always get from my SL when I ask this question "Can I get FTL for ranging with HAT?" I usually get the FTL but that's not the problem. The thing is I always receive the answer "You cant range with FTL".

Now yes you can't get the range just from marking the target with FTL, not like the SL marks. But my question is why do people most of the time not consider using the map for ranging? It is an easy way for someone to get a ruff estimate on range and makes hitting tanks/IFVs etc. mutch easier to hit at 500m+ going as far to say that it's useful until smth is 1km far away(of course it's only gone be useful against big targets with HAT/LAT or small targets with HE/Frag rockets)

So I just want to know what do other people think about map ranging or the other easy ways to range targets at 300m-1000m
tweakbox appvalley https://vlc.onl/

Edited by GriffinKnox

I don't think many people notice it lol. I use it often when running LAT and it helps a ton to have FTL. I've had a few guys say "just use the map without FTL" but it's a lot easier to mark it, check it, and fire rather than scouring the map for something that resembles where you're shooting. 

This guide is all you really need. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1617623261

It is so much quicker to use some estimates than trying to get the SL to mark something or to start counting squares on the map. I have in 400+ hours have maybe used the map twice to estimate range. At least in my opinion, engaging targets at over 300 meters with infantry antitank weapons is a waste of time. I have always felt that the infantry AT weapons are better used in a defensive role to protect the squad from overextended APCs and tanks, rather than an offensive role where they go out of their way to find targets. I've just gone with the rifleman first most often and found it to be pretty effective. Generally once the targets are in 400+ range then it is better off calling in the teams vehicle assets to take care of the threat.