Sign in to follow this  
[TP]Behr

[Vehicles] Engine power and small trees

Posted (edited)

Devs,

Vehicles in squad are generally really bad on and off road, especially when going up against even a slight hill. 
Can all vehicles get an update on engine power so they represent their capabilities more?

Also can the collision mesh of the small bushes and slim trees be removed to represent tanks and apc's actually being able to traverse small obstacles?
Some of my clanmates and i find the small bushes with collision meshes incredibly frustrating in combination with the engine power as it currently stands. 

Greetings ;)

Edited by [TP]Behr

Posted (edited)

my assumptions based on my SDK usage:

The collisions would need to be adjusted/modified to allow certain things to collide and others not. eg: collision on some foliage/trees will allow pawns to walk through but vehicles will collide - simplistic but achievable, for a game.

To achieve a more granular collision, the collision volumes need to be able to have certain vehicles collide and others not. The vehicles would prolly need to be segregated into light, med, heavy, etc., and have those 'classes' of vehicle be selectable within the collision parameters of the volume, so you can set a bush to collide only pawns and light vehicles but anything bigger will roll right over it.

Edited by LaughingJack

The gearboxes have undergone a lot of work, but they're still a fairly complex simulation that involves a lot of physics, so I don't believe it's as simple as turning up a little power. We've been working to optimize and clean up maps, in addition to the relatively recent gearbox fixes, so you'll hopefully be getting relief that way as well.

Same thing goes for a lot of those small bushes and snags. Full destruction gets a lot more costly, but the team is looking at ways to make a lot of that stuff less annoying or try to find better workarounds to make them behave as you may expect. In some cases, it may just be a matter of hanging in there until the optimization pass comes for that map.

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.
A solution like LaughingJack offered might work, no?

We'll see what the future will bring to us. 

Greetings ;)

14 hours ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

@Gatzby i think just doing what post scriptum did is good enough..

which was? - because i not played it i have no reference.

Posted (edited)

Fences and small trees and bushes basically don't have an effect on heavy vehicles, while infantry gets slowed down in bushes, so they can't run.

This is based on the last time i played, about a year ago.

Edited by Guan_Yu007

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

Fences and small trees and bushes basically don't have an effect on heavy vehicles, while infantry gets slowed down in bushes, so they can't run.

This is based on the last time i played, about a year ago.

That is true to squad to a certain extend too, however certain bushes/small branchlike trees do block vehicles which they should be able to traverse trough with ease. Just clipping it with the edge of your track is enough to go from full speed (if you even get to accelerate xD) to a complete standstill. 

Greetings ;)

Edited by [TP]Behr

On 3/24/2020 at 4:15 AM, [TP]Behr said:

A solution like LaughingJack offered might work, no?

It's possible, and I think it's happening through the optimization process -- as well as tweaking and removing some of the more annoying ones where it makes sense. I know the team has looked at making some more binary states for things like fences: up and down, making it easier on replication and, thus, the server and clients attached to it. At a higher level, I believe there's also work to clean up a lot of blueprints and cross-references to make specific tweaks like that easier, have less testing required, etc. It's not necessarily a focus right now, versus optimizing overall, but it is a thing we can continue to improve on.