Gatzby

New Commander on Duty!

Hey squaddies!

We’re fresh into a new year and that means it’s time to take a look ahead at what that means for Squad! First and foremost, we’d like to introduce you to our new producer: Arnaud Lebesnerais. Arnaud has been with us for a little bit now and has been quietly kicking our butts back into gear, so we figured it was high time you got to know him as well.

Oh, and don’t worry, your beloved UAV/Producer Phil is on-station.

overwatch2-700x394.png

Greetings Squaddies!

My name is Arnaud “Arno” Lebesnerais, Producer on Squad. 

While I may be new to OWI, I come from a background of games ranging from FIFA, Need For Speed, Dawn of War, Space Marine, all the way over to Company of Heroes. Which, of course, brings us to Squad. Well, why am I here?

The reason for me joining the group is simple: OWI is expanding and Phil is getting into a bigger role! While still overseeing Squad, he is taking on a more strategic role within the organization and he needed to get someone to lead Squad’s development. 

pt-700x394.png

We are both working closely to get Squad into its next phase so rest assured that you are all still in the same good hands as ever. I have always been an FPS fan, but our industry is still producing too many samey games and Squad is only one of the few pushing boundaries. So I can truly say it is an honor to join the Squad Community!

I’ve been busy getting up to speed on the last year of Squad, which saw a lot of updates: entering Beta, the initial release of Commander, helicopters took flight, the Canadian Armed Forces joined the fray, the first batch of tutorials was released, and we even saw Territory Control, all the way back in… *checks notes* Was it really just June?! Those are some pretty big shoes to fill, but I think the team is up to the challenge!

welcometohell-700x394.png

For 2020, we want to further build on this momentum and we have been working on a list of content ranging from quality of life updates to brand new content. For the next 11 months, we want to hit a cadence of updates that will improve the game in general from optimisation to new factions. 

But first and foremost, I would like to focus on tying a lot of loose ends that are currently still happening in the game and are impeding your gameplay experience. These are crashes, performance, gameplay issues, and other Quality of Life improvements that need to be done.

Looking forward to this year, I can assure you we will do our very best to make Squad the greatest Tactical FPS game of 2020. (And for many years to come.) To support this vision, we want to introduce:

• New theatres of war.
  • New factions.
  • New tools for Events and Competitions
  • Enhance the modding support from which Squad is built upon. 
  • Boost an already thriving community so that it can continue cross-pollinating content.
  • Improve our game modes and tweak and balance our content, all the while listening to your feedback. 

While we want to deliver all this at a level of excellence that squaddies expect for such a quality title, it will take time to achieve. We will do our best to be as transparent as possible and we appreciate your patience while we work on these throughout the year.

t72-climber-700x394.png

As YOUR involvement which is one of the main reasons why Squad is so incredible, we’re going to continue to focus on developing events, competitions, and modding support. Our goal is to continue to grow that involvement and we want to create more tools to support these endeavors. 

On that note, we applaud the tremendous events and leagues like the Squad Community Cup, Squad World Championships, Here Come The Girls, and Squad Charity League for giving so much back to the community with the game they love!

bmps-700x394.png

Finally, it is a real honor to be part of such a group. In my 16 years of experience in this industry, Squad is literally the best community far and wide. I have met the kindest players on the Squad servers, welcoming newbs and willing to educate each other on the depths of gameplay. 

We will make sure that Squad keeps delivering the expected quality content for your enjoyment.

See you on the battlefield, squaddies.

Dismissed.

A.L.

OFFWORLD OUT.

51 minutes ago, Gatzby said:

While I may be new to OWI, I come from a background of games ranging from FIFA, Need For Speed, Dawn of War, Space Marine, all the way over to Company of Heroes. Which, of course, brings us to Squad. Well, why am I here?

Oh!,...no...:(

You mean all those arcade games some of which have DDA (Dynamic difficulty adjustment built in)... Sigh*

I might come off a bit rude. But, have you played PR? 

Lol...;)

Now seriously. Any plans in that long list for people who are feeling neglected by the gameplay? Some "more" support to some "hc" mods???

Edited by Nightingale87

Yeah i'd like a stance from the main developers on giving servers the option to turn on a more "hardcore" or tactical game setting compared to regular Squad.

Welcome though! I hope to see some good stuff.

Let's hope the new head would be less arcade-oriented. Also, would he address the omnipresence of AK analogs?

Edited by Noobgamer

You wont please everyone here. Pleasing the many should come second to satisfying your own vision or a clear team vision.

I am nearing 30 years of multiplayer fps gaming and mapping contribution and I for one am happy with the overall direction so far.

Please just make a game that is different and that you will be proud of in the future. 

Keep testing new paths!

Welcome Arno!

keep up the pace and please listen and talk a lot with @fuzzhead. He has reflected a lot about the last 6-7 updates and he is the right person for your motivation to avoid the "too many samey games" trap. Listen to him and Squad will continue to push boundaries ;-)

Hey you guys,

Thanks for making Arno feel welcome, I know he's getting all the feels from this community.  I thought I'd stick my nose in here to let you all know that it took a long time to find the right person to hand over the reins of Squad to, and I have complete confidence in Arno to make Squad's 2020 it's best year yet.  I'm still around and meddling with things I probably shouldn't be, and supporting Arno when he needs it.  You guys are always our primary source of inspiration, so keep "Givin' 'er" as we say in Canada!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. While I am still ramping up, one thing has to be clear; Squad will not become just another shooter. The soul of the game is very different than anything else out there, and we want to maintain that. We are also very well aware of many "wants" from the community, and we  plan on implementing these within bigger endeavors. Your voice helps shape Squad and as Owiphiluav rightfully mentions, please keep it coming!!

On 2/7/2020 at 6:51 PM, DamageInc said:

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. While I am still ramping up, one thing has to be clear; Squad will not become just another shooter. The soul of the game is very different than anything else out there, and we want to maintain that. We are also very well aware of many "wants" from the community, and we  plan on implementing these within bigger endeavors. Your voice helps shape Squad and as Owiphiluav rightfully mentions, please keep it coming!!

It makes me worry every time I see a new Dev who does not come from Project Reality, I really hope you understand how important it is for a big part of the community that Squad does not drift too far away from its roots. We were the original backers that made Squad happen in the first place.

Please please please don't forget where Squad comes from, Project Reality.

Anyways, welcome to the community! Surely hope you pick up PR as a research project :)

On 2/6/2020 at 1:46 PM, Mauti said:

Welcome Arno!

keep up the pace and please listen and talk a lot with @fuzzhead. He has reflected a lot about the last 6-7 updates and he is the right person for your motivation to avoid the "too many samey games" trap. Listen to him and Squad will continue to push boundaries ;-)

I absolutely agree. Fuzzhead is our savior.

Edited by MikeDude

8 hours ago, MikeDude said:

It makes me worry every time I see a new Dev who does not come from Project Reality, I really hope you understand how important it is for a big part of the community that Squad does not drift too far away from its roots. We were the original backers that made Squad happen in the first place.

Anyways, welcome to the community! Surely hope you pick up PR as a research project :)

I absolutely agree. Fuzzhead is our savior.

DITTTTT.

TOOOOO.

On 2/22/2020 at 8:37 PM, SlumLord said:

DITTTTT.

TOOOOO.

Don't worry! We still have Fuzz on design, and plenty of PR veterans hanging around. Arnaud is also an experienced veteran of the gaming industry that's going to help us make sure we keep the PR vets on track. ;)

He's been a strong encouraging force on the team so far and really bringing a set of organizational skills and hands-on involvement with the diverse teams on Squad to bring us up to launch and into live ops. (Which is something new to a lot of the PR veterans on the team too!)

We're pretty big on hiring for company fit too... and the Squad team has kept that fit true, imho. =)