tmpwhore

Destructible environments Tookit for UT engine 4.15

We need this. Now it's a little exaggerated in the Demo but it's kind of crazy when I shoot a 120mm tank round at a wooden house and it blows it off like nothing happened. I guess the houses in Russia are built really tough. "In Russia you don't shoot house, house shoots you."

Obviously he is making it super exaggerated, but if this was toned down a bit, it would be really cool. Since it's a toolkit, it would cut development to a small fraction of what would be needed to program it in from scratch. Also obviously some building would be more resistant to rounds than others.

Here is a tutorial:

Edited by tmpwhore

5 hours ago, budder8818 said:

Is the engine squad is built on? 

"Built from the ground up in the Unreal Engine 4"

-Official Squad Wiki

8 hours ago, Chinchilla said:

"Built from the ground up in the Unreal Engine 4"

-Official Squad Wiki

But IIRC it's not the same version.

===================================

As if squad doesn't already have problem with cpu usage...

Edited by EcchiRevenge

23 minutes ago, EcchiRevenge said:

But IIRC it's not the same version.

===================================

As if squad doesn't already have problem with cpu usage...

Supported Engine Versions: 4.14 - 4.24

9 hours ago, budder8818 said:

So what are we saying here? That squad will have the ability to have some objects destructible? 

I believe the team have stated in the past that it's something they would like to look into after a 1.0 release. It's something just on the wishlist I guess.

They'd have to make everything else up to snuff before trying this, i cant imagine what it would do to the games performance and stability.

Edited by you ok

On 2/6/2020 at 5:36 PM, budder8818 said:

So what are we saying here? That squad will have the ability to have some objects destructible? 

Mmm, not really. All this is saying is that games built from this point forward can have access to that technology. It's possible some games may be able to make it backwards compatible, but it's never as simple as flipping a switch. There are art, sound, gameplay, physics, and pretty much all parts of the game to take into account. Ultimately, though, it may boil down to performance: what's possible in a tech demo isn't always possible with 80-100 players that all need to be seeing the same thing, at the same time, to play a fair game.

What about Chaos? Will that ever reach Squad.

On 11.02.2020 at 10:25 PM, Gatzby said:

Mmm, not really. All this is saying is that games built from this point forward can have access to that technology. It's possible some games may be able to make it backwards compatible, but it's never as simple as flipping a switch. There are art, sound, gameplay, physics, and pretty much all parts of the game to take into account. Ultimately, though, it may boil down to performance: what's possible in a tech demo isn't always possible with 80-100 players that all need to be seeing the same thing, at the same time, to play a fair game.

What do you do than? I thought it was your job. And i can't see 100 player servers around? You allways write 80-100 players but it has been 2 years I have been playing this game and still we don't have 100p servers but 78 player servers....

Edited by Nefer

28 minutes ago, Nefer said:

What do you do than? I thought it was your job. And i can't see 100 player servers around? You allways write 80-100 players but it has been 2 years I have been playing this game and still we don't have 100p servers but 78 player servers....

Basically, if you want a game to have destructable environments, you'll need to start implementing that from the start, and build the game arround it.
If they'd do this now, it would mean another 2 years of just trying to get that right and optimised.

I personally prefer to have 100 players over this. I hope they'll be able to get stable-enough servers for it soon..

Edited by Guan_Yu007

4 minutes ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

Basically, if you want a game to have destructable environments, you'll need to start implementing that from the start, and build the game arround it.
If they'd do this now, it would mean another 2 years of just trying to get that right and optimised.

I personally prefer to have 100 players over this. I hope they'll be able to get stable-enough servers for it soon..

So you are into game developing bussiness? If they don't do it someone else will, I gurantee it. When that happens i see little reason to play squad.

2 hours ago, Nefer said:

100p servers is something that was prioritized to be added after all major planned systems were added. Since during major patches, performance and server stability fluctuates as newly added system change the load on the servers. Makes more sense to implement 100p when things are more stable, when major optimizations can be focused on , to make implementing higher playercounts as smooth as possible. Squad is pretty much at that stage now, where a lot of focus is going into improving client and server performance - The jump from UE4.21 to UE4.23 in B19 is one of those stepping stones, to make 100p servers come true.

Most servers are 78+2, meaning 78 public slots and 2 reserved slots(for admins and donators of the server). 100p servers have been tested a few times over the years, to gather data on how the servers handle the additional client increase. Last publicly held test was 06/08/2019 
50V50.thumb.png.17a1cd48b177793faf9ad38b706796ae.png

22 hours ago, Dubs said:

100p servers is something that was prioritized to be added after all major planned systems were added. Since during major patches, performance and server stability fluctuates as newly added system change the load on the servers. Makes more sense to implement 100p when things are more stable, when major optimizations can be focused on , to make implementing higher playercounts as smooth as possible. Squad is pretty much at that stage now, where a lot of focus is going into improving client and server performance - The jump from UE4.21 to UE4.23 in B19 is one of those stepping stones, to make 100p servers come true.

Most servers are 78+2, meaning 78 public slots and 2 reserved slots(for admins and donators of the server). 100p servers have been tested a few times over the years, to gather data on how the servers handle the additional client increase. Last publicly held test was 06/08/2019 
50V50.thumb.png.17a1cd48b177793faf9ad38b706796ae.png

All i hear is optimization, performance blah blah... I don't care what it is... It's developers problem. Besides the last test was 6 months ago you say. That is a long time... Anyway do what you want. I'm just saying, people gets bored. New games will be developed. All I'm saying is, be quick.

3 hours ago, Nefer said:

All i hear is optimization, performance blah blah... I don't care what it is... It's developers problem. Besides the last test was 6 months ago you say. That is a long time... Anyway do what you want. I'm just saying, people gets bored. New games will be developed. All I'm saying is, be quick.

The last public test was around 6 months ago, doesn't mean it hasn't been tested internally, or worked on at all(as explained in my previous post, it has and is being worked on). All I'm saying is, no one wants to play on a 100p server if things aren't ready server side for it. No one wants to be lagging, suffering desync or having servers crash, because 50v50 was added too early at a time optimizations weren't up to standard. So you should care.