Don Kadart

FOB asset tolerance to a land form

Poll  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Agree?

• Yup
    • Nope

Hi squaddies.

I would like to point out a gameplay issue that (I think) creates a "glass wall" effect without solid excuse behind it. That is ground form requirement for placement of a FOB asset.

Current state of things: players often spend minute or two searching for a sweet spot on a bumpy terrain or on a mildly steep side of the hill. Just to find out that big chunk of the "FOB area" is unusable for their precious ATGM. Despite that land itself looks OK from aside. That creates a comedic situations when squadleads lurk around mumbling "just one more second.. errr... let's try this way... ground is too steep... maybe here... no". While squadmates impatiantly standing around with shovels in hands.

Proposal: to increase tolerance of some FOB assets to the landform underneath. I am mainly talking about ATGM and heavy machinegun, because their tactics suppose direct line of sight at the enemy (obviously) and, as result, careful choice of the placement spot.

Justification: we all can check out footage from warzones where half-educated para-militants are able to place ATGM or machinegun in ridiculous spots between rocks or on the hill side. That is the idea behind such weaponry - to choose a convenient spot to earn a "first shot privilege". Soldiers are free to use sandbags to compensate ground bumps or inclination. Given that in-game shovels are capable of producing HUBs in a minute, to prepare a surface for a ATGM doesn't seem like a problem.

Edited by Don Kadart

instead of making it easy to place in crazy spots make it require a base mound structure for those crazy spots then allow it to be stacked on top. Increased cost and time slightly in return for the optimal position. 

Or make it place-able anywhere but fall over after a few shots :P

Another partial fix would be allowing left-click to be held down while trying to find a valid placement, so that the placement happens the instant a valid terrain is crossed.  Currently, trying to put down a prop on invalid terrain cancels the placement completely, which adds an extra level to the problem as I have to go back through layers of UI just to try putting down the same prop again 3 cm to the left.

Also, for some reason a green placement template isn't 100% assurance that the prop can actually be placed. Sometimes "Ground too steep" pops up anyway.  Could that get a fix?

true. 

the placement can be frustrating. that little flicker of green is often a lie.

On 27.01.2020 at 3:37 PM, suds said:

instead of making it easy to place in crazy spots make it require a base mound structure for those crazy spots then allow it to be stacked on top. Increased cost and time slightly in return for the optimal position.

Sounds fair. But this mount base shall not increase the overall hight of ATGM spot. That subverts the crucial requirement for this weapon - to stay low and shady before it delivers the death punch.

Examples of ordinary ATGM positions that are impossible in Squad at the moment:

Spoiler

glVeGi5.jpg

ZHKjuUO.jpg

Rxf0BLZ.jpg

scK3lq5.jpg

As result, contribution into the battle of Squad ATGMs and Heavy MGs is very limited in comparison to their real-life counterparts.

Edited by Don Kadart

i've never fired one of those - is there much kickback on the launched or does most of the force come out the back or from a secondary rocket stage?

I think they all look like they will fall over on first use...health and safety guy would be sending multiple cc emails.

They are recoilless type indeed: first stage "booster" kicks rocket out of the tube. Hot gases are free to exit via rear end of the launcher without doing much push on the weapon platform.

Are we supposed to have a feedback from Developers in such threads?

At least, yes or no. Would be much appreciated.

Edited by Don Kadart