Sign in to follow this  

Can this just be exiled from Squad, completely?  Until the developers of it fix it?  Whoever designed this map, has never played the EASTERN SIDE OF IT IN A VEHICLE.  The map is godawful.  It's terrible.  It's disgusting.  The only thing that it has going for it, is that it has new map prop models.

It's the shittiest experience you'll ever have in this game driving a tracked vehicle, with all the god damn areas having triangular shaped hills, causing your tracks to basically mean **** all.  You become stuck.  You go maybe 10-15km/h on basically flat land making it even more difficult to maneuver.

Vehicles, thankfully, have become a bit easier to drive since a patch or two ago.  That does not make up for how god awful the map design of Nanisivik.

It's the only map where vehicles actually have a fighting chance instead of constantly being ambushed by HAT's, LAT's, TOW's, mines, and it's the worst god damn map possible, only because of how lazily it's designed in areas.  

I'm sorry to the developers of the map, but for holy gods sake how does this shit stain make it into the MAIN game?  It taints the image of the other relatively designed maps.

Edited by Covalent

Well... It is shitty for vehicles because any terrain of this type IS shitty for vehicles. Your ability to move off road is very limited and usually only light units are operating in this areas. What's missing is more helos to move people around the map. It could still need some work on the smaller details, like more rocks, but its very accurate.

This far north there is pretty much no vegetation so its very hard to find cover. Overall the fighting in this type of terrain is very different from a city or forest and in order to be efficient on Nanisivik you need to adapt. If your vehicles are constantly sniped by ATGM:s you need to find a way to counter that, and this is a very realistic aspect because in real life you would deploy small groups of rangers equipped with missiles to ambush anyone trying to use the few roads.

Yeah, you may hate this map, but the designers knew what they were doing with it. I like playing on it, if you don't, then don't.

4 hours ago, Pluto is a planet said:

Well... It is shitty for vehicles because any terrain of this type IS shitty for vehicles. Your ability to move off road is very limited and usually only light units are operating in this areas. What's missing is more helos to move people around the map. It could still need some work on the smaller details, like more rocks, but its very accurate.

This far north there is pretty much no vegetation so its very hard to find cover. Overall the fighting in this type of terrain is very different from a city or forest and in order to be efficient on Nanisivik you need to adapt. If your vehicles are constantly sniped by ATGM:s you need to find a way to counter that, and this is a very realistic aspect because in real life you would deploy small groups of rangers equipped with missiles to ambush anyone trying to use the few roads.

I see you've not driven any sort of tracked vehicle on this map since you're talking about helicopters when I'm talking about TRACKED VEHICLES.  The problem isn't the 'terrain'.  It's how it's built in the editor - There's no smoothing to any of the ridges, at all, it's all triangular and doesn't have any smoothing to it at all.  It makes the tracks become stuck constantly, even though they should be moving, albeit slowly if it's trying to replicate 'ice'.  It's lazy design. 

Vehicles shouldn't be stuck to taking the roads, that's how you die.  Any competent team, or player, will tell you how easy it is to kill vehicles in this game.

Edited by Covalent

The point is still that you ARE stuck to the roads in this kind of terrain. Not even a tank will be able to climb most of the mountains. You simply have to adapt to the environment and use a different tactic. The point of having all the different maps is that the gameplay must be adopted to that specific map. You cannot use the same tactic on Nanisivik as on Narva. And its part of the fun to figure out how to play the maps.

^What he said. Also give the guys who created this map a chance to improve it over time rather than just shitting all over their work. These guys are not Squad devs, they're a mod team doing it in their free time. Posts like these kinda do piss me off at times.

8 hours ago, Pluto is a planet said:

The point is still that you ARE stuck to the roads in this kind of terrain. Not even a tank will be able to climb most of the mountains. You simply have to adapt to the environment and use a different tactic. The point of having all the different maps is that the gameplay must be adopted to that specific map. You cannot use the same tactic on Nanisivik as on Narva. And its part of the fun to figure out how to play the maps.

You've never seen a tank or any vehicle move around in snow or any sort of rough terrain, have you?  Unless it's pure ice, the tracks eat that shit up like it's a fat kid eating a sundae.  They don't get stuck.  They ARE able to climb most hills, but since you're not getting what I'm saying and completely ignoring it, I'm not going to reiterate it again and suggest you READ my posts again.

7 hours ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

^What he said. Also give the guys who created this map a chance to improve it over time rather than just shitting all over their work. These guys are not Squad devs, they're a mod team doing it in their free time. Posts like these kinda do piss me off at times.

so then it shouldn't be part of the main game and just as a whitelisted MOD with how piss poor the quality of it is right now

6 hours ago, Covalent said:

You've never seen a tank or any vehicle move around in snow or any sort of rough terrain, have you?  Unless it's pure ice, the tracks eat that shit up like it's a fat kid eating a sundae.  They don't get stuck.  They ARE able to climb most hills, but since you're not getting what I'm saying and completely ignoring it, I'm not going to reiterate it again and suggest you READ my posts again.

Lol. I got my first snowmobile when I was 12, and i live around 300 km north of the Arctic circle. I would say i have a pretty good idea..

15 hours ago, Covalent said:

so then it shouldn't be part of the main game and just as a whitelisted MOD with how piss poor the quality of it is right now

Fact is that it is in the game, as free DLC, complain all you want instead of actually giving constructive feedback, but at least allow others to enjoy it lol.

12 hours ago, Pluto is a planet said:

Lol. I got my first snowmobile when I was 12, and i live around 300 km north of the Arctic circle. I would say i have a pretty good idea..

damn that must mean you know so much about tanks .................

3 hours ago, Guan_Yu007 said:

Fact is that it is in the game, as free DLC, complain all you want instead of actually giving constructive feedback, but at least allow others to enjoy it lol.

except my post is constructive criticism

the map is garbage and needs to be redone to fit the standard of OWI's maps

I like that knowledge of the terrain helps you decide the positioning and available movements of your vehicle. 

The map has some unique challenges and can be dominated too much by vics. Making it easier for them is the opposite direction any changes should take.

In this  game with all it's limits we will have to use our imaginations a bit or get stuck with bland same same maps.

Don't drive on the pointy stuff. Assume for your realism fix that it is made from something that the tank can not flatten or get 100% traction on. 

I would suggest making the steep terrain slippery like shale. add rock slides audio to the traction.

On 2020-01-27 at 9:03 PM, Covalent said:

damn that must mean you know so much about tanks .................

Well. you said " You've never seen a tank or any vehicle move around in snow or any sort of rough terrain, have you? " And i answered you. But obviously you just want to move the goalposts. You haven't exactly provided any proof that you are an experienced tanker either...

But im gonna explain it for you: Tanks can go up pretty steep hills and drive through snow yes - but not at the same time. AND.. Driving up steep hills is only doable with good traction, but in this case we're talking about bare rock, and a lot of lose rocks. The track of a tank will struggle to find enough traction to go uphill. And even if you did manage to get your tank up on the mountain your mobility is severely limited by natural obstacles, near vertical section of the hillside, creeks, boulders etc. On top of that you have no protection at all, you are an easy prey for anti tank weapon. 

This is why forces operating in such areas only use light vehicles like snowmobiles and light ATV:s like the 206:

Hagglunds_Bv206_25th_US_Marines_2.jpg 

Note the TOW on the back. Your tank will have no chance against them since even if you are at the top of the mountain there are plenty of ways for them to get a fire solution on your tank.

Edited by Pluto is a planet

Wanted to duck in and ask people to keep it cordial. There's plenty of ways to provide feedback on Nani (and tanks) that don't involve being directly insulting to anyone. In fact, you're more likely to get a productive discussion going without that, I'd wager. =)

Your frustration is totally reasonable and understandable and we know it comes from loving the game. Just try to splash a little of that love on the posts from time to time, please.

On 2020-01-30 at 11:11 AM, Gatzby said:

Wanted to duck in and ask people to keep it cordial. There's plenty of ways to provide feedback on Nani (and tanks) that don't involve being directly insulting to anyone. In fact, you're more likely to get a productive discussion going without that, I'd wager. =)

Your frustration is totally reasonable and understandable and we know it comes from loving the game. Just try to splash a little of that love on the posts from time to time, please.

I tried to express my be constructive with what I was saying, although, iirc I had just came out of a round on that map driving a T72 around, getting stuck on very triangular looking parts of the map, and it was really really frustrating to drive around on.

I'm hoping they do some revisions of it.  Is there any word of work from the CAF team?  Improvements etc?