Hear me out...

I know that a lot of attention-deficient younger players complain that the maps are too large and empty, but that's NOT what I'm talking about at all.  This is not another one of those juvenile diatribes.  I love the large maps.  I'm talking about the display map that pops up when you hit the CapsLock or M key.

These maps are useless for anything except noting roads and rivers.  The terrain is displayed absolutely horribly- there is no sense of relief!  The maps just look like a bunch of random shading and it is impossible to note hills that might have good sight lines for planning purposes.  An example is Kohat- looking at the map you would never guess that there is a long, high ridge south of the river that dominates it, or that the road along it is exposed to the north.  

If decent shading was implemented I suppose that would be sufficient, but I would love something that looks more like a real topographic map with contour lines.  Perhaps it could even be specific enough that there are two versions of each- a NATO-ish version and a Russian-ish version, depending upon the faction.  (The old Soviet maps are works of art, frankly.  They are beautiful and incredibly detailed.)  Post Scriptum has maps that sort of try to look like actual paper maps, why can't Squad?

While we're at it, I know that I'm in the minority on this one but I would prefer to use military symbology on the maps rather than the cute little helmets, tank figures, etc.  I know that both real symbology and realistic maps will turn off the kiddies who have no patience for learning how to read either of them, but screw them.  Those players are never going to be squad leaders, anyway.

8 hours ago, DualFlameBane said:

These maps are useless for anything except noting roads and rivers.  The terrain is displayed absolutely horribly- there is no sense of relief!  The maps just look like a bunch of random shading and it is impossible to note hills that might have good sight lines for planning purposes.  An example is Kohat- looking at the map you would never guess that there is a long, high ridge south of the river that dominates it, or that the road along it is exposed to the north.  

If decent shading was implemented I suppose that would be sufficient, but I would love something that looks more like a real topographic map with contour lines.  Perhaps it could even be specific enough that there are two versions of each- a NATO-ish version and a Russian-ish version, depending upon the faction.  (The old Soviet maps are works of art, frankly.  They are beautiful and incredibly detailed.)  Post Scriptum has maps that sort of try to look like actual paper maps, why can't Squad?

A topographical map would be great. I can't stand not knowing the lay of the land.

8 hours ago, DualFlameBane said:

While we're at it, I know that I'm in the minority on this one but I would prefer to use military symbology on the maps rather than the cute little helmets, tank figures, etc.  I know that both real symbology and realistic maps will turn off the kiddies who have no patience for learning how to read either of them, but screw them.  Those players are never going to be squad leaders, anyway.

A good way to do this is like the way they did it in the Wargame series. In that series there was a toggle for their symbology vs the NATO standard. The only problem is that the nato symbols are meant for larger unit sizes rather than individual elements like you find with the squad. You can't really mark an individual man with nato symbols the smallest possible marker is a fireteam size. Maybe they can make it a little different. Maybe stylized a little different might work.

I don't think you'd necessarily need the unit size markings.  The NATO manual even mentions them as an optional element.  Actually everything including the unit type is an optional element, though unit size and type is essentially always included, for obvious reasons.  But I think that omitting them for this game is a reasonable simplification.  At this scale we know, for instance, that the armor symbol means a single tank.

topo and other suggestions have been made numerous times here-in.

search for "topo" / "topographic"

;)

On 1/11/2020 at 5:37 PM, LaughingJack said:

topo and other suggestions have been made numerous times here-in.

search for "topo" / "topographic"

;)

Well that's not good then, because it shows the developers haven't been paying attention and I'm wasting my time giving feedback. 

Edited by Jibroni Gibironi

18 hours ago, Jibroni Gibironi said:

Well that's not good then, because it shows the developers haven't been paying attention and I'm wasting my time giving feedback. 

yes and no, your adding your voice, which is important ;)

@Zylfrax791 has been working on a shader(?) that lays contours onto the existing maps.

i, like many, would love a true topo map rather than the top-down 'photo' we have to use currently - we can't even do an orthographic of the map, so distrotion occurs.

On 13/01/2020 at 2:51 AM, Jibroni Gibironi said:

There's a recent post somewhere about the maps (the ones you look at in game) taking up a lot of memory and the lack of decent support for vector based images.

It's something a lot of people on the dev team would like to see but there are bigger fish to fry currently.

Edit -