EA_SUCKS

Happy New Year OWI (2019 sucked)

ahhh OWI, always taking one step forward (buddy rally gone) and then 2 steps back (vehicle cleanup system introduced)

of course 2019 could not end without one bad small choice for the game, right?

2019 was marked for so many bad choices for the game, and I wonder why the buddy rally stayed for so long... nobody asked for it, it wasnt necessary, neither it was broken.... hey but they "fixed" it now by removing it

now to start 2020 in "good shape", there is this cleanup system for the game, may I ask why?

if a team loses or leaves vehicles in the field, they deserve NOT TO have the vehicle back at main

vehicles already suck at this game, they are not fearful as they are in PR, and you even make them spawn at main for free?

if there is a problem in some players behavior, you DONT FIX the game because of that, its not the game that is broken

and how consistent is it, to be able to track and disable vehicles, if you are going to bring it back to main for the players? O.o

in PR vehicles played a huge importancy for the gameplay, I remember when I played PR I treated my vehicle very carefully, not to lose it, because without a vehicle the entire team could suffer and lose the match... and I was proud of playing in a tank or APC, and NOT LOSE the vehicle for the entire round

the team who is dumb deserves to lose quickly... adapt and learn to play properly, or lose miserably!

but in your mentality, the player "deserves" a second chance... yeah like this do you think the player will care to learn? or put effort to treat the vehicle well?

I remember some rescue missions in PR, where I had to take back a vehicle or watever because the driver as killed, fun times with true teamwork, and great memories of PR in general, great nostalgia, but in Squad on the other hand, vehicles WILL spawn at main if left on the field... wat are you thinking OWI?

and the memories, well Ive been playing this game since 2015 and i have NO good memory for this game, shouldnt I have some at least? its been some time, why is it?

well, I have one GREAT MEMORY of Squad, just one, but it happened BEFORE I ever played the game, you can find it here:

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131654

a spiritual successor of PR is being made? like a PR2 game? WOW, Ive been waiting for this since... hum 2009? when PR2 was first announced? (thats exactly wat I thought back then)

why have you forgotten about the vets OWI? they helped you fund this game and believed you, but slowly and in small increments you changed the game, and still does this with very patch you release!

how much more do we have to wait until you give us a hardcore/PR or watever gamemode? I know you will keep changing the game for worse more and more, 99% of the playerbase wont complain, dont care and dont know what PR is and why this game was conceived in the first place, but dont you owe the 1% a little something? say a special treat?

well I have so many complaints/suggestions for the game, but for now I hope in 2020 your choices for the game ARE NOT as bad as the ones you did in 2019, and truly wish you a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Yeah vehicle tickets should cost more, much more in some cases 

and vehicle clean up shouldn’t be a thing 

the current buddy rally setup is good 

Anybody with half a brain can poke around in the SDK and look at the blueprints etc and see that 99.9% of the features that both the PR and Competitive communities want back in the game could easily be accomplished by simply making things called "child classes" and also duplicating map layers and then changing different attributes within those as well. And that's only with the stuff you can see. Then there is the whole entire proprietary core that's not included. So yeah, I imagine these modes could be implemented in the current game and it would simply just be another map layer with either the PR or Comp extension added to the name.

That said, considering how simple and easy it would be for them to create different gamemodes and/or maps tailored to specific communities without even having to make a new game then by simply applying logic it's quite obvious that maintaining the current arcade/milsim hybrid is a conscious decision.

So if that's the case then maybe it's just out of spite. Probably they're just sick and tired of a million voices telling them what to do. Ever consider that?

It is also easy to forget that better graphic in itself would make squad fundamentally different from PR even if everything else is the same. In squad a vehicle or emplacement can dominate a large portion of a map since the viewing distance are so large. Adding for example thermals to squad and a vehicle could dominate everything out to 1500-2000 meters. At the Manic layer with no fog ive had tank engagements of 3+ km.. Same with jets and attack helos. They could easily use their thermal optics to locate HAB:s and destroy them in notime. And the other way around, a guy with a MANPAD could cover a huge area. The overall fighting distances would be much longer in squad unless you add the magic fog that everyone loves.

Posted (edited)

TrollsWow this post sucks and I have no good memories of if left, although I like shitposting and remember some good shitposts from 2015

Even if I agree with big parts of it in general

Reason for vehicle clean up system has been stated by developers. Can I ask you if you didn't read it?

Vehicle clean up by itself even if forgiving makes gameplay better, because the initial game mechanics of "you have unlimited amount of vehicles and the super power is watching them, and when they get destroyed, the super power is counting up to 20 and bring you a new one" is a bad construct for anything except the most serious organized player who cries about every ticket for days, and it never worked well in public servers. Trolls don't care. New players don't care. Players who are leaving as soon as they drive a vehicle next to enemy main don't care. Admins suck. Public servers do benefit from such mechanics.

What you should be crying about instead, is that OWI refuses to support the "serious and experienced, hardcore" part of community which you represent with separate gamemode or something, not that they defend you from COD players on public servers

Edited by paragonid

On 1/1/2020 at 3:44 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

So if that's the case then maybe it's just out of spite. Probably they're just sick and tired of a million voices telling them what to do. Ever consider that?

Yeah how dare people that kickstarted this game want owi to actually deliver on promises.

8 hours ago, paragonid said:

Trolls don't care. New players don't care. Players who are leaving as soon as they drive a vehicle next to enemy main don't care. Admins suck. Public servers do benefit from such mechanics.

No. A specific kind of gameplay Benefit from this. Public servers is only the place where this happens.

I totally agree with OP´s point of view. 

8 hours ago, paragonid said:

What you should be crying about instead, is that OWI refuses to support the "serious and experienced, hardcore" part of community which you represent with separate gamemode or something, not that they defend you from COD players on public servers

Yes. Totally agree with you.

There is no more hope for vanilla SQUAD. It´s now a casual shooter. The only difference it has with COD and such is building and hitpoints.

On the other hand…."crying" like you said, is the only way he feels he has of asking for a separate game mode or mod or even server settings.

If he didnt start a post like this one, Owi wouldnt listen. 

That´s after all how we got rid of buddy rally... Crying like Little babies!  Whining and kicking!

On 1/1/2020 at 4:44 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

,,,it's quite obvious that maintaining the current arcade/milsim hybrid is a conscious decision.

Squad is no longer a milsim/casual hybrid.

It´s just a casaul arcade shooter with different HP mechanics.

17 minutes ago, Nightingale87 said:

The only difference it has with COD and such is building and hitpoints.

That's not entirely true at all.

Give credit where credit is due and be honest here.

I own all the COD games including the most recent version and even the biggest map in COD is still smaller than Sumari. So yeah, that's a major difference right there alone. Much bigger maps. Plus COD doesn't have AAS or RAAS gamemodes.

Then on the other hand the frantic gunplay, animations & weapons in this most recent COD make Squad seem like a shooter game from 2001. So there's that.

As an arcade shooter competing with all the AAA titles Squad doesn't even place in the top 20. Correspondingly as a realistic milsim fps game Squad does marginally better but still has way too many arcade attributes and elements to even consider being classified in that genre.

Despite being an answer to a question nobody asked I still to this day enjoy playing Squad and all the wacky characters I've met over these past years. To me its more about the process than the result. With Squad you can kind of kick back and eat some nachos and drink a beer and yet still technically be a relevant team member which is more than you can say about COD or CS:GO with its non-stop action.

10 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

That's not entirely true at all.

Give credit where credit is due and be honest here.

I own all the COD games including the most recent version and even the biggest map in COD is still smaller than Sumari. So yeah, that's a major difference right there alone. Much bigger maps. Plus COD doesn't have AAS or RAAS gamemodes.

I´m being absolutely honest. 

The two points you lay down as differences are 1.The size of the maps, 2.AAS/RAAS.

Well. Because of the nature of the game, the size of the map is irrelevant:

As you have pointed out many times, just like others, the game is too focused around the flags. And it´s actually focused only on the middle flag. Rendering 80+% of the map irrelevant.

Actually, the time that it takes an infantry squad execute a flanking manouver with stealth is usually much less effective than having that same squad dying and respawning putting pressure on the flag.

How many times do you hear an enlightened squad member asking "what is squad 4 doing there?"... Most of the time it is a SL that hasnt realized what the meta is and is tying to play insticntively something that would be productive ws the meta different.

Constant action. Low life value. Low asset value. Low communication value.

The argument can be articulated and can be put down to this or that. But the feeling I have when playing SQUAD now is what I have when playing insurgency with a microphone,...just a bit slower. 

The new vehicle clean up is for me the last nail on the coffin for Squad vanilla. I´m only waiting for a mod/mode that matches my desired gameplay.

As an arcade shooter competing with all the AAA titles Squad doesn't even place in the top 20. Correspondingly as a realistic milsim fps game Squad does marginally better but still has way too many arcade attributes and elements to even consider being classified in that genre.

That woyld also corespond to the fact that from the dev side of community they are VERY interested in keep calling it a MILSIM as means to advertize the game and to create the feeling/sensation that players are buying and playing a whole different animal than COD. 

Despite being an answer to a question nobody asked I still to this day enjoy playing Squad and all the wacky characters I've met over these past years. 

I don´t enjoy it. The op doesn´t enjoy it. Many people don´t enjoy it anymore.

Despite being an answer to a question nobody asked I still to this day enjoy playing Squad and all the wacky characters I've met over these past years. To me its more about the process than the result. With Squad you can kind of kick back and eat some nachos and drink a beer and yet still technically be a relevant team member which is more than you can say about COD or CS:GO with its non-stop action.

This part I love…! +1

Posted (edited)

Generally I agree. Given that success in Squad relies so heavily on teamwork, all this designing for trolls and non-compliant noobs slowly eats away at the core design elements. The game should not be designed for the lowest common denominator, but for those who want to play to its strengths. That said, a balance should be struck between punishing poor play and allowing a comeback based on good play. For instance, the vehicle cleanup could be balanced as it costs the team tickets and takes time. When the team loses a vehicle it still puts them behind. When they get a new vehicle it gives them the chance to come back with a better plan. The punishment should be severe enough to discourage carelessness but not so severe that mistakes can't be rectified. I still think the new system is more complicated than it needs to be, and prefer a solution based on purchasing vehicles at Main (with tickets and/or commander points), with no automatic respawn of destroyed vehicles or destruction of abandoned vehicles. 

Edited by pinko