Sign in to follow this  
Pastah

How do you automatic-rifleman/machine-gunner?

How do you automatic-rifleman/machine-gunner? I find when I prone I can't see through grass and there are no places where I can elevate my gun for deploying my bipod higher than grass. This is especially so for open maps or maps with a lot of foliage and when attacking. I find I end up dying a lot. Also, a lot of these guns are iron sight and it's too hard to see far enough. Even using binocs in combination I don't see the dots of people on iron sight.

Edited by Pastah

On 1080p targets up to 300 engageble with iron sights. No deviation makes it relatively easy to hit. Classic pixel hunting. Still you die if you don't get position to engage in very limited arc or get in cover immediately after fire cuz tracers.

Get a sapper to put down sandbags, or anything you can use as cover and deploy from behind. Look for rocks that have level to upward angles to deploy on. Flat grass is annoying but once you know about it you can work around it :)

As long as you know where the enemies are you should be fine, even if you dont see them, AR (and MG) is mainly for providing cover and suppression so that the enemy have a harder time shooting back at your friends. So just keep the bullets flying in the general direction of the enemy and half the job is done.  So dont worry too much if you cant spot individual enemies, your job is to provide cover for your teammates, not to snipe off individual targets.

Spotting with iron can be a bit hard but if you use the binos to locate the enemies its a lot easier. If you point the binos at the enemy and then switch to gun, your gun will also point at the enemy. Also look for movements, its way easier to spot a moving target.

The fundamental issue with AR and MG is that you are rarely allowed by your SL to find a good position and are not used in the intended way. AR/MG are often just like a rifleman that runs around trying to get kills. A squad that deploys its AR/MG:s efficiently to provide fire support can be really effective.

Very often you should be using suppression fire, anyway, which you can do fine with iron sights.  You shoot at doorways, windows, and corners while your buddies advance, to keep the enemies' heads down.  That's the real job of the automatic rifleman.

On 1/11/2020 at 10:48 AM, DualFlameBane said:

Very often you should be using suppression fire, anyway, which you can do fine with iron sights.  You shoot at doorways, windows, and corners while your buddies advance, to keep the enemies' heads down.  That's the real job of the automatic rifleman.

I find that makes me easy to spot and killed by a marksman where I never see tracers, smoke, or muzzle flash. My tracers make it super easy to find me and people don't care about being suppressed because suppression does nothing in this game.

Edited by Pastah

Tracers are weakness of those powerfull weapons. More tracers you shot bigger chance that you will be spoted. ARs are great for big distance suppression fire. This will increase chance that return fire will miss you. 

Dont suppress with weapon like pew pew everywhere no. Even you fire at long distance, aim properly. Focus on windows, corners (any object edge) and bushes. Preshot areas where you expect that enemy can leanout with torso or side step. And thats it. If some silly player do that he has to be shoot. That means dont waste ammo at wall but aim to hit if he peak out.

In this case you dont have to just hold button but send 3 bullets there 5 there 3 there ... and so on. In most cases you can even count to 5 or 10 in between bursts. When you use AR in this mod you can keep shooting for very very long time with many kills at the end and surprisingly without being spotted because of one simply psychological reason. Most players are impatient, they so fast look around for spot and shoot that their brain forget that there was tracer somewhere and stop searching from where it comes if its not a "tracers stream". Sure in one moment they will figure out but it could be too late or your friendlies are so close that they are overrun. 

Last trick, when you are reloading use it for great repositioning everytime.   

How to deal with grass. Dont try see everything you know that enemies are somehwere. Focus to 2 - 5 deg from big distance and remember terrain, when you prone than you imagine that terrain and just shoot, for aquisition you can aim down and free look and you will see over grass, remember bullets impact and correct your fire.