Covalent

IED Drone (Limit - 1 IED) Disables vehicles, but doesn't kill them.

It's largely considered in a lot of the community that being able to stack IED's on top of the Drone that just float in mid air, is a bit of a stupid idea.  It works, but it works in a way that glitching into parts of maps allowing you to fire through walls, also works.  It's bad, and needs to be addressed.

A solution - The IED is implemented inside of the drone/on top.  Allowing the drone to still do what it does, deliver a payload of death to infantry/light vehicles.

It will allow Insurgents/MIL to take out HAB's/FOB's momentarily as well, to allow infantry to move in and take it over.

However, it will NOT kill heavier vehicles, but only disable their tracks/engine/turret.  
Example: BTR-82A, BMP-2, Warrior, Stryker, BRDM's(shitboxes), T72B3/Abrams/Challenger/Leopard.

I doubt it would be extremely difficult to make this change, considering what you guys have done.

Also, for the vehicle players that get ****ed by competent teams - Please, we need thermals or some iteration of it.  I know noobs will complain, but as players get more competent at this game, playing in a vehicle on most maps is just not worth it.  It's easier to go 32-2 as infantry than it is in a vehicle.

Edited by Covalent

They should give the drone a payload capability and IEDs a weight. That way the drone flight model is affected by the weight added making it more difficult to fly when loaded. It would even prevent the drone taking off with to much weight.

I know, brilliant right? Not really, just more realistic.

Edited by Major Trouble

13 hours ago, Major Trouble said:

They should give the drone a payload capability and IEDs a weight. That way the drone flight model is affected by the weight added making it more difficult to fly when loaded. It would even prevent the drone taking off with to much weight.

I know, brilliant right? Not really, just more realistic.

The drone they're using in game wouldn't be able to get off the ground with the payload of even one IED, considering typical drones that ISIS and such have used can barely lift over 10 pounds.

Considering that the IED in Squad has TWO 81mm mortar rounds taped together, that's 30 pounds right there alone.

The only drone that can lift that, is a drone that costs thousands for special purposes in movies.

They should just make it so you can't put anything on the drone at all, and just make the drone itself a payload that can be used for scouting or blowing shit up.

Edited by Covalent

22 hours ago, Devastation said:

Well, in my honest opinion I think drones/UAV's just ruin the game

3 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

bad enough that a drone was added - worse that they would allow stacking of anything on it.

What's wrong with the drone? I understand the dislike of IED placement on the drone, but why do the drone/UAV abilities ruin the game?

Does any developer ever comment on these?  Or is it just "**** it our way is the highway" until enough people make a ruckus like buddy rallies?

On 12/25/2019 at 7:02 AM, Covalent said:

The drone they're using in game wouldn't be able to get off the ground with the payload of even one IED, considering typical drones that ISIS and such have used can barely lift over 10 pounds.

Considering that the IED in Squad has TWO 81mm mortar rounds taped together, that's 30 pounds right there alone.

The only drone that can lift that, is a drone that costs thousands for special purposes in movies.

Destroyer's of fun... Let's just make the game like Toy Story Woody and give everyone an empty holster...

Jeez... why not let people just have fun? In a game where you can barely get someone to dig a HAB up let alone coordinate anything else together as a team and do something simple like even just defend a flag and yet you're complaining about something that is rare as hen's teeth anyway and needs several people to coordinate?

People play this and any other game for entertainment purposes not reality. In real life when you get fragged you don't rematerialize in a pile of backpacks in 120 seconds instead your giblets get swept up into a body bag and you go home in a flag drapped coffin on a C-130. So yeah, according to your realism logic that should be in the game too.

Insurgents should have these ied drones and even more diabolical stuff like suicide vests and trucks too like this Garry I heard about. Or perhaps kill even more fun and just drive away another million key holders from the game...

Edited by Zylfrax791

22 hours ago, Covalent said:

Does any developer ever comment on these?  Or is it just "**** it our way is the highway" until enough people make a ruckus like buddy rallies?

Devs are on holiday because you know...it's the Christmas period.

On 12/26/2019 at 12:51 PM, Dufflespud said:

What's wrong with the drone? I understand the dislike of IED placement on the drone, but why do the drone/UAV abilities ruin the game?

i'll reduce "ruin" to, "detracts from basic concepts of" the game (even tho i do agree with Devastation).

all IMO, of course: It draws away from communications and team work as relates to field observations or on-the-ground stuff, that is supposed to be a major part of the game. that is to say, a Commander can oversee the entire battlefield - what is the point of the enemy bothering with tactics if there's a high probability that they're every movement is being tracked? what is the new value of ground-based intel, now the Commanders need not rely on it?

i remember the UAV in BF3(i think) was stupid - being able to see-all and direct team mates to hidden(lol) enemies accurately, reduced the game to cheesing the UAV and have the enemy team turn UAV hunters en-mass.

29 minutes ago, LaughingJack said:

i'll reduce "ruin" to, "detracts from basic concepts of" the game (even tho i do agree with Devastation).

all IMO, of course: It draws away from communications and team work as relates to field observations or on-the-ground stuff, that is supposed to be a major part of the game. that is to say, a Commander can oversee the entire battlefield - what is the point of the enemy bothering with tactics if there's a high probability that they're every movement is being tracked? what is the new value of ground-based intel, now the Commanders need not rely on it?

i remember the UAV in BF3(i think) was stupid - being able to see-all and direct team mates to hidden(lol) enemies accurately, reduced the game to cheesing the UAV and have the enemy team turn UAV hunters en-mass.

Exactly bro!

UAV: Hab spotted, Rush the first point game over!

On 12/26/2019 at 4:02 AM, Covalent said:

They should just make it so you can't put anything on the drone at all, and just make the drone itself a payload that can be used for scouting or blowing shit up.

They're M37 82mm HE rounds, which weight around 3kg(6.6lbs) from memory. Two would equals 6kg(13.2lbs).

While I agree the quad drone in Squad wouldn't be able to lift a 13kg IED in reality. A lot of civilian mid-line quad drones on the market are able to easily carry around 4kg in weight as they're designed to carry up to two cameras, plus added equipment like external batteries. So the drone in Squad is carrying double it's capability.

But in saying that, Squad is a game and allowing IED's being attached to INS/MIL drones allows a different dynamic to unconventional factions and airborne IED drones have became a reality over the past half decade. It's both un-realistic and realistic in current design of Squad. The drones are easily shot down when near ground level. Bumping into a wall, roof, barrier makes the drone explode. Have limited use, and they have a choice to keep eyes in the sky or yeet an airborne IED into something that might not work. Fair trade offs IMO. 

I Wouldn't be against limiting to a single IED to be placed on a drone through. 

A single IED would make the most sense and could still be fun.  I don't get people saying it'd ruin 'fun'.  Vehicles are hard enough to not get ****ed on constantly by competent teams, adding flying machines that can fly at you near mach speed(over exaggeration I know, they're still fast) and blow you up in one hit, doesn't make for a fun experience in a vehicle that already has to look out for:

Mines, RPGs, HATs, TOWs, SPGs, Sappers, IED vehicles, Enemy vehicles, Mortars.