RB79BALL

Should we implement a hard counter against players soloing assets?

The current system requires the server to set up rules and admin to kick or even ban players from soloing tanks and APC. I believe the devs can spend a few line of codes to solve the problem. 

From PR experience, warming up a turret is a thing and the time delay discourage 99% of the players from soloing. Although the concept is unrealistic, it is better than the current self regulating system. 

What's your thought? 

Soloing is fine and sometimes preferable/necessary. Such rules/mechanics shouldn't be forced on everyone. If some servers need it, they could mod it in.
If it's a server setting then why not (as something as not priority)

Edited by paragonid

Since the very beginning of vehicles I've always maintained that weaponized vehicles should be programmed for a single user to both drive and shoot and then once another user entered the vehicle they both could be assigned to either seat to be more effective.

The fact that the game is programmed in the first place to allow soloing just in the drivers seat alone has always seemed ludicrous to me.

3 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Since the very beginning of vehicles I've always maintained that weaponized vehicles should be programmed for a single user to both drive and shoot and then once another user entered the vehicle they both could be assigned to either seat to be more effective.

The fact that the game is programmed in the first place to allow soloing just in the drivers seat alone has always seemed ludicrous to me.

Please no! Your idea is horrendous. Arcade style bs gameplay.

Split the crewman roll in to 3 parts: Driver, Gunner and Commander. One roll will not be able to switch out to the other on the fly (only in main). And have the tank un-manable until all 3 crewman are assigned a position inside the vehicle. I say all 3 rolls must be filled is to insure your valuable asset, like the tank, has all the proper rolls to insure it's safety, i.e. driver drives, gunner kills, and the commander hunts. 

20 minutes ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

Please no! Your idea is horrendous. Arcade style bs gameplay.

Ok then. Reprogram the game so the first seat is the gunner and the second seat is the driver. It's not rocket surgery. In the blueprint it's simply a matter of dragging the cable to a different node and hitting the "compile" button and then updating the game.

Then this facet of the game becomes standalone and doesn't require a server nanny to make sure people aren't soloing armor. How hard is that?

The counterargument to this has always been "what if someone disconnects?"... ok? what if? You then work as a team to get a new driver.

The few seconds spent switching seats and finding your target is already disincentive enough for most to ride with a gunner given the opportunity. I don't think there's a need to add an unrealistic delay on top of that when it's already enough to get hit by a TOW or Sabot round before you can line your sights up. Add to that the need to switch ammunition or reload and the delay involved in that, and soloing becomes a huge liability as the effectiveness of the vehicle is greatly diminished in vehicle battles. I'm not sure if the gunner needs to stay in the seat to reload now or if you can just press your reload key and switch seats and take cover. If not, adding that feature could be a more realistic nerf to soloing (even though in real life there's a dedicated loader.. but who wants to play that in game?)

I'd love for there to be a toggleable server rule that makes it so that vehicles cannot leave main without a minimum number of crew members.There is no good reason for an undermanned vehicle leaving main. Soloing should never be encouraged. EVER. I don't really mind that helicopters can be single manned but there really is no reason for a copilot in game. Maybe if damage models get a little better then they will find more use.  Everyone always points to the TOW MATVs and BRDMs as good vehicles to be one manned but I really wish that people would fully crew them. This kind of thing feels really gamey when you see one man squads taking vehicle assets. I also don't like when tank teams decide to take tanks with only driver and gunner. You really should be forced to get that commander. It makes you so much more effective with an extra set of eyes.

48 minutes ago, Geebus said:

I'd love for there to be a toggleable server rule that makes it so that vehicles cannot leave main without a minimum number of crew members.

Every single North American server I've ever played on has had a no soloing armor rule since even before the crewman role was implemented. Needless to say, making it a server choice wouldn't any make sense then because nobody allows it in the first place and it only occurs when there aren't any admin.

Simply change seat one to the weapon and be done with it already.

On 12/21/2019 at 4:43 AM, RB79BALL said:

Although the concept is unrealistic

How easy do you think it is to worm yourself through the inside of a tank to the other spots in less than a second?

10 hours ago, Geebus said:

I'd love for there to be a toggleable server rule that makes it so that vehicles cannot leave main without a minimum number of crew members.There is no good reason for an undermanned vehicle leaving main. Soloing should never be encouraged. EVER. I don't really mind that helicopters can be single manned but there really is no reason for a copilot in game. Maybe if damage models get a little better then they will find more use.  Everyone always points to the TOW MATVs and BRDMs as good vehicles to be one manned but I really wish that people would fully crew them. This kind of thing feels really gamey when you see one man squads taking vehicle assets. I also don't like when tank teams decide to take tanks with only driver and gunner. You really should be forced to get that commander. It makes you so much more effective with an extra set of eyes.

Commander is not necessary IRL though so I disagree. Loader is however. Unless you want to fire just one round though. I think it is good the way it is. Current way is the most realistic which has always been the aim of the game - to be fun with real weapons. IRL you can operate a tank completely one manned as well but it would be extremely ineffective and your squad leader would be seriously pissed. Just like in Squad. In fact I think there is already to much babysitting logic in Squad compared to PR. In PR if you accidentally TKed someone you could be banned from server easily. Having to beg your way back. Stakes were high, hence the player standards as well. No magic walls preventing players doing stupid shit. Just like real life. 

Posted (edited)

Commander is necessary I think. Gunner gets scarified since commander can take over gunner duties.

For gameplay purposes PR's system was best, combining driver and commander and requiring gunner. Tanks were all 2-man but if always had all roles filled with both positions sharing equal amounts of responsibilities (and there's never any confusion over who is actually commanding the tank since driver/commander has both authority and the means). It would make sense for Squad to adopt this because of the reduced overall playercount.

I liked Red Orchestra 2's ridiculous system where the unoccupied seats were operated by AI and the commander could set waypoints for them to awkwardly drive to / shoot at. The tanks were really cool, the combined arms gameplay just wasn't there though unfortunately.

Edited by Good-Try Greg

Posted (edited)

Every person using realism as an argument for justifying a mechanic should only be allowed to play one-life servers. Once. Per game copy.

Edited by paragonid

Posted (edited)

Commander is used IRL to talk on the radio coordinate with other tanks etc. Commander can also take pot shots but if you are serious about hitting something you would wanna be the gunner. But IRL positions are easy to switch so I would say that either commander or gunner is good but can't live without at least one dude in there. If you are gonna go on a solo mission I'd prefer to be gunner any day. Especially since there won't be much coordinating going on. Mind you the gunner can also take over the commanders duties. Maybe squad lead should be forced to be the commander? 

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson

Bottom line there is a contradiction between the stated philosophy of the game and the actual programming of the game itself.

Philosophy:

"Squad" recreates the rigors of modern combat in a visceral environment where teamwork and communication are necessary for victory.

Actual Game:

Screw teamwork and communication boy! That's for sissies! You don't need no SL in that armor coordinating with other SL's or even another two players to operate the gun and commander seat! Get in the action son! Drive that tank into the center flag asap and win the match for us!

45 minutes ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

You need teamwork to win, not to to play lousy.

I pray to the God of Squad to bless me with a good team every time I join a server.