Sign in to follow this  
Mad_Dog8762

Not understanding some "Server Restrictions" on Heli Squads

I joined a server, fresh match.

Create a Squad, take Lead Pilot (I like to fly helis in games like these), squad Joins= full squad

Im like "Cool, I can run an aggressive airborne squad" (Ive gotten really good at high speed/low Altitude fast landings)

Ive done this on another server too

I would land the squad, quickly hop out to drop radio, HAB, ammo crate, and then take off again. And then continually provide airborne support to my squad through resupplies or moving to the next soon-to-be FOB location for continuing aggression

Anyways, im in the server, and then I get kicked out of SQUAD to recruit (I was SL)
Im like strange, whatever. Get my kit again, back in heli, boutta take off, kicked from server

I checked the server rules, and helis apparently can ONLY be their own squad, with NO infantry involved. (2 man squads of two pilots ONLY)

And im finding more and more servers are restricting like this

To me, this seems a waste of a valid playstyle for helis. Having them be their own squad restricts them more to a mere supply ferry rather than an aggressive strategic tool as it significantly increases the amount of "go-between" between a heli and their prospective squad

It is 10000 times more effective to have a separate helicopter squad that transports supplies and troops rather than having the squad leader be the vehicle driver. Same goes for mechanized infantry squads. The squad lead cannot easily drop rallies when they are either directing the vehicle from the commander seat or piloting the helicopter. There is no reason to limit the squad to whenever the squad lead is in the area.

Either way, their server, their rules.

You can just transport infantry not in your own squad. There's really no point in having a helicopter inside an infantry squad. Its not like mechanized inf. where you want the inf and armour to stick together at all times. 

If you make your own helicopter squad, you can communicate with every infantry sl to supply and transport them all, except for just one.

The ideal heli pilot locks his squad at 1, and sits in base waiting for infantry leaders to call. 

Edited by 40mmrain

Rent your own server and play squad the way you want, add your playstyle and set your own server rules. However, it will cost you 40 dollars a month do it :)

OFFWORLD INDUSTRIES don't discourage server rule setting, because its a win, win situation for everybody. Server providers get new customers like you, squad gets access to a lot of servers for free, meaning you pay for it, a cost offworld industries dont need to dish out.

The devs don't bother with these tiny issues, unless the server host is breaking server licensing rules. So in reality no one really cares, about your tiny problem. And thats the truth of the matter. 

Now, u want to do somthing about it. Rent your own server! 

The comedic part, some random dude not liking "YOUR" server rules, is going to post on squad forums, crying about it, just the way you are. And, around it goes. See... where I'm going with this! just stop. 

I don't know if I can be more honest with you!

Edited by BatSithCrazy.

Ask people who made the rule on the server, not here. Nobody will be able to give you answer why the rule exists for them

although last time i was playing on a server which still had this "no locked squads" rule. they were kinda strict on it. same time "heli squads max 3 only!" was kinda scratching my head.

IRL a helicopter pilot doesn't jump out of his bird and mess around with ammo crates and supplies. As a pilot in Squad you shouldn't ever leave your chopper and have an infantry squad on the ground. It's completely illogical.

I'm the last person to support any supplemental rules in any video game. Instead, the game should be reprogrammed so that there are only two pilot kits available and they both need to be in the same premade heli squad. So in that respect whatever server this is at least understands the simple logic of how many numbers are available on the keypad for direct SL to SL chat.

Along with that something similar needs to be programmed for the armor as well, perhaps creating a single premade squad for two tanks as well. The same goes for mechanized infantry and regular infantry.

Bottom line in every match there are way too many small squads and they quickly add up and exceed 10 so then they can only talk on global SL chat instead of direct which defeats the whole purpose of the built in chat. That's not only illogical, it's just plain stupid.

You don't need two squads named "Heli" & "Heli2" and then "Tank" & "Tank2"... this is just silly. Also reprogram the game to cap the amount of squads you can create to correspond with the keypad as well.

On one hand you've got the highly restrictive kit system that doesn't initially allow you to choose the role you want but on the other hand you can have 15 locked squads all with vulgarity and memes in their title which is totally Jr. High. Reprogram the game to create randomized premade named squads with standard military phonetic alphabet words and numbers. As example "Whiskey Five One Armor" or "Zulu Two Seven Infantry" make a lot more sense and keeps the game more in line with the professional realistic element it's trying to portray.

Edited by Zylfrax791

squad size should be limited if leader has other responsibilities such as vic or commander

8 players removed from or with less access to the objectives is a big disadvantage to the team. 

As usual, it depends on the server.

The problem with Heli Squads like that is that you are not using two things to their full potential. Those two things are the helicopter and the squad.