Jump to content
moeppling

VRAM leak (since v17?)

Recommended Posts

OS: windows 10 x64 (v1909)

CPU: AMD Ryzen R5 2600

GPU: AMD Radeon Vega 56 (8gb VRAM)

RAM: 16GB 3200mhz cl14

 

I noticed that the game became very heavy on vram after the v17 update. My 8gb of VRAM are being fully utililized at 1080p low settings (SSAA off). This may have been the case prior to v17, but it's only now that i get constant stutter and framedrops. My gpu and amd chipset drivers are up-to-date. I've tried out older amd drivers aswell, without success.

 

First off, the game uses 3900-4500mb of VRAM in the menu/server browser. This is at 1080p lowest settings and SSAA 1.0. Thats ridiculous in itself, but it gets way worse after joining a 80p server.

 

1080p low settings (everything turned down):

6500-7000mb VRAM usage immediatly after joining a server. Finally reaches 8000mb after a couple of minutes of gameplay.

 

1080p medium settings and above:

7500-8000mb after joining a server. Mostly clogging up all my available VRAM in an instant.

 

Another odd behaviour:

joining a server with lowest quality settings --> raising the quality settings to medium --> immediatly changing back to lowest settings ... results in the same VRAM usage as playing the game on medium to begin with. The VRAM doesn't get cleared when switching quality settings.

 

What i've tried:

-cleared game cache

-completly reinstalled Squad

-removed amd drivers with DDU (through win10 safe mode) and reinstalled the newest drivers

-activated HBCC memory segment in the amd driver. Now this is intresting. It even conceals the stutting, framedrops and generally bad performance to some extent. When doing so, the vram usage can reach up to 12500mb (1080p, medium settings, SSAA 1.0) after a long session. But it makes the game somewhat playable in the current state.

 

 

Greetings,

moe

Edited by moeppling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same problem in Beta 18 Public Test.

 

On 15.12.2019 at 1:36 PM, Tromboner said:

I think I have similar issues since the last patch

what gpu & driver version are you using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@moeppling, I have the followed hardware:

OS: windows 10 x64 (v1903)

CPU: AMD Ryzen R5 1600x

GPU: AMD RX 5700 (8gb VRAM)

RAM: 16GB 3200mhz 

 

I have same issue that you are getting.

That said, devs said that game engine has nothing to do about VRAM consumption (what's a bad joke).

Some guys said insistently that  only I9 + 2080 TI are good, everything else are potato computers and fisherprice hardware.

Other guys said that we need MODs ON and learn how to code, so WE (not devs), can improve game performance! (Wow, that's a brillant idea!)
I love this game but it has serious performance issue and most brillant community!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully we can collect a couple more hardware configurations related to this problem. There are are plenty topics related to gamecrashes caused by 100% vram load, but thats not the case here.

 

The game simply runs like poop as soon as the video ram is clogged up.

1 hour ago, SCG_ErwinP said:

@moeppling, I have the followed hardware:

OS: windows 10 x64 (v1903)

CPU: AMD Ryzen R5 1600x

GPU: AMD RX 5700 (8gb VRAM)

RAM: 16GB 3200mhz 

 

I have same issue that you are getting.

That said, devs said that game engine has nothing to do about VRAM consumption (what's a bad joke).

Some guys said insistently that  only I9 + 2080 TI are good, everything else are potato computers and fisherprice hardware.

Other guys said that we need MODs ON and learn how to code, so WE (not devs), can improve game performance! (Wow, that's a brillant idea!)
I love this game but it has serious performance issue and most brillant community!

Both vega56 and rx5700 are more then powerfull enough. Throwing money at the problem does not seem like a promising solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I created a topic about a performance improvement that I got after disable SMT as before it game had too many stutters.

Unfortunately, my topic was deleted.

In that topic, I received recomendations to buy "the only good hardware enough for Squad" as said above and others pearl.

IMO, SQUAD has RAM stack overflow but what we can do? At least, we can write in forum before it being deleted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey,

 

I think I have the same if not similar issue and since my Hardware is as follows

GPU: GTX 1017 TI 8GB VRAM

CPU: Intel i5-7600K

RAM: 8GB 

I think we can rule out that it's an AMD issue. But for me the game doesn't stutter a whole lot (a little bit here and there). It works fine on high settings and then all of the sudden it just crashes. The weird think is, that it only seems to occur, when I'm playing inside larger cities like Narva. Never had the issue before the helicopter update.

 

Greetings 

Lagion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Legion7734 said:

But for me the game doesn't stutter a whole lot (a little bit here and there)

As I said, stutters occurs while running SMT, after disable it, game runs lot better.

Your i5 hasn't hyperthread, so you can't see what's happening.

In our opinion, SQUAD has at moment, VRAM overflow issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OS: windows 10 x64

CPU: i5 2500K @4.3 GHz

GPU: AMD R290X 4GB

RAM: 16GB

 

Same here. Randomly my FPS drop from 30-40 to 5-10. Especially on Scorpo. But happened on Sumari as well.

 

Game uses more RAM than before usual, seems like it wants to eat ALL of it and I feel like when VRAM is full there is some stuff going on between RAM & VRAM, because I seriously never saw the game use up that much RAM.

 

TG Sumari (pretty much smallest map on SQD eh?)

I am not that much up to date with map changes but I felt like daytime was changing. Maybe that's useful info.

h4Bfnsv.png

 

Issue needs to be investigated. This is "weird".

 

Thanks guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Megagoth1702 said:

OS: windows 10 x64

CPU: i5 2500K @4.3 GHz

GPU: AMD R290X 4GB

RAM: 16GB

 

Same here. Randomly my FPS drop from 30-40 to 5-10. Especially on Scorpo. But happened on Sumari as well.

 

Game uses more RAM than before usual, seems like it wants to eat ALL of it and I feel like when VRAM is full there is some stuff going on between RAM & VRAM, because I seriously never saw the game use up that much RAM.

 

TG Sumari (pretty much smallest map on SQD eh?)

I am not that much up to date with map changes but I felt like daytime was changing. Maybe that's useful info.

h4Bfnsv.png

 

Issue needs to be investigated. This is "weird".

 

Thanks guys.

I'm pretty sure that Squad has been using upwards of 8gig's of ram for a while now. Even before i upgraded my rig 1 1/2 years ago.

Nowadays it's consistently between 8 and 10 gb, which i would classify as normal behaviour for a modern game engine. > In my case there's no system memory leak present.

Edited by moeppling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, moeppling said:

I'm pretty sure that Squad has been using upwards of 8gig's of ram for a while now. Even before i upgraded my rig 1 1/2 years ago.

Nowadays it's consistently between 8 and 10 gb, which i would classify as normal behaviour for a modern game engine. > In my case there's no system memory leak present.

Sumari is the smallest map... 

Here is what the RAM looks like on a full server with no FPS issues.

FitwQPD.png

 

Dude, 8-10GB for a small map IS weird. 

Edited by Megagoth1702

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Megagoth1702 said:

Sumari is the smallest map... 

Here is what the RAM looks like on a full server with no FPS issues.

FitwQPD.png

 

Dude, 8-10GB for a small map IS weird. 

Here's Gorodok raas right after joining with a ingame timer of 01:49 (10 minutes into the round):

PNxisx8.png

Don't forget to add a minimum of 1gb for Windows(services) and Steam. It get's way worse on Kamdesh invasion layer towards the end of the full round. Nevermind my 12gb current and 14gb max load, i got a couple of background services running right now.

 

And... you're definetly cpu bottlenecked ontop of that. Upgrading from a i5 6600k to a r5 2600 (lower per core performance, many more threads) solved a couple of problems. Honestly i was okay with the occasional stutter back then, but my psu destroyed itself , my mainboard and gpu (i was forced to upgrade).

 

That said, my problems back then weren't as bad as the vram leak is now... the stutter/freezes are really bad now.

Edited by moeppling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16-12-2019 at 3:50 PM, moeppling said:

Same problem in Beta 18 Public Test.

 

what gpu & driver version are you using?

 

Radeon RX 480 (VRAM 4096), softwareversion radeon 19.12.3

CPU intel I5-6400

 

Not sure how to add images here, but tracking my gpu and vram during squad, vram is 100% continually while gpu spikes from 0 to 100 every other second

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry if im a bit late but ive been getting constant crashes every 20-30 minutes after starting up with a message about texture loading being too big for the vram, iirc.

 

running a 6600k at 4.4ghz and a zotac gtx 1070 8gb

 

i could be wrong, but this much vram usage at 1080p with high (not epic) settings just seems wrong. i never recall having this problem until recently, i just started playing again after a few months, and the vram is constantly pinned at like 95% in game, and i guess as soon as it ticks to 100% it crashes. any fix from offworld would be very much appreciated,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×