Jump to content
LeMoNz

Graphic Updates

Recommended Posts

I have been playing squad for a very longtime now and I think Squad is at the point where it needs to work on fixing bugs, and updating the graphics. One thing which has been a major Pain in the ass with squad is the game is the graphics are very grainy. From my understanding this may be due to people with Low End PC's or problems on their end complaining about how this game is not running on their GTX 940. 

 

Do not get me wrong new factions and everything would be amazing, and larger maps and server size but this is all stuff which has been in the works for awhile now. Graphics I think are what need updating, stop worrying about the few who are having FPS issues and stability issues with their low end PC's being completely oblivious to the fact that there system is a low end system or that the problem is on there end. 

 

Again do not get me wrong not everyone can afford a High end system but this game has been around for 3+ years but the graphics and server limitations should not be held back because there are a small few who are having trouble with their low end systems... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep I keep on saying low end pcs hold back development of game and hold back graphics!!! 

 

Low end pc low FPS deal with it 

 

I play squad 90% of time with over 3500 hours and my whole pc is built for squad with it being the only game worth playing 

 

 

GET UPGRADING YOUR POTATOES PC’S 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FILTERS

I actually think this game has very pretty graphics sometimes but some maps just look terrible. For example Fool's Road and Belaya are the 2 most ugliest maps for me because, and I think, those maps have some sort of filter which just gives it a gritty, and a green effect. Which is dumb, because the game actually looks much more natural and pretty without those cheap filters.

 

LOD

Another thing that they need to do is fix the LOD by removing this weird fog that sets in passed like 300-400M range and gets worse the further you look. I dont understand why every ****ing map has fog. It especially gets annoying when you are moving in a fast vehicle like a chopper and it seems like you're in a ****ing aquarium or something. 

 

Pixilated/Grainy

You get grainy looking shadows/textures. This effect happens mostly on shadows when ambient occlusion is turned on and also on some textures too, like the main road on Tallil.

 

AA/Anisotropic

Last thing: Please add proper AA option. I don't like the current FXAA and TAA because they make the game look "muddy" even with sharpen turned to 100%. And and proper toggle for anisotropic filter so I change change it to 16x - although I do think this effect is tied in to the current graphic settings 'view distance'. If so, then separating the two would be a better option.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

İf u using 940m that's really potato GPU but optimization important I agree to that

 

I have this system but I have fps problems too sadly  @ZXD_Leeu guys should improve more. Or is this potato too?

i5 2500k(4.7 GHZ ALL CORES)

12 GB DRR3 1600MHZ

MSI GTX 1050 2GB

Edited by drfreee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

all the people who say " upgrade ur potato pc " u rly full of shit

look at games like battlefield 3 that looks awesome and run awesomeon potato pcs.

its all about smart optimization ....which squad doesnt have 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, virusman said:

all the people who say " upgrade ur potato pc " u rly full of shit

look at games like battlefield 3 that looks awesome and run awesomeon potato pcs.

its all about smart optimization ....which squad doesnt have 

Battlefield 3 has amazing graphics and works well on Potato PC's because it was a Graphical Masterpiece of its time, Now days games often require better GPU's than what can run Battlefield 3 due to new engines and graphics. Squad is no where near a graphical mastierpiece of its time because there holding back on updating graphics due to people having terrible GPU's and computers because they think a game which released in 2011 should require the same specification requirements of a game which released like 5 years later than it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LeMoNz said:

Battlefield 3 has amazing graphics and works well on Potato PC's because it was a Graphical Masterpiece of its time, Now days games often require better GPU's than what can run Battlefield 3 due to new engines and graphics. Squad is no where near a graphical mastierpiece of its time because there holding back on updating graphics due to people having terrible GPU's and computers because they think a game which released in 2011 should require the same specification requirements of a game which released like 5 years later than it. 

u miss the point.

battlefield 3 looks better and runs better then squad 

bf3 is older then squad.

squad require more resource then battlefield 3 and looks worse at the same time....

 

i will never forget when squad only released  with the first screenshots.

people commented that they put too much details on useless stuff.

 

i  pertically remember someone commented something like : "there is too much polygons on that hand watch" 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, virusman said:

all the people who say " upgrade ur potato pc " u rly full of shit

look at games like battlefield 3 that looks awesome and run awesomeon potato pcs.

its all about smart optimization ....which squad doesnt have 

No point comparing a AAA game with 10x the budget and 6x the development team size, to an indie dev team. They have their own tailored in-house game engine. 

Dice used smart map design, such as large buildings, hills/mountains, forested areas etc in specific places to be able to cull large amounts of objects out of player view, while also limiting render distances quite heavily. They also had quite aggressive LOD scaling which even with Ultra settings, player models and trees looked pretty low quality past the 100m - 150m mark as well as having quite heavy pop ins with small objects. 

BF3 set the benchmark for games of that particular era in terms of visuals, and does look better than quite a few modern games. Frostbite is a very powerful and well optimized engine. But they did well to hide the lower quality things, to make the highest quality things up close, stand out. Playing the big open maps like Bandar desert, you really get to see how their culling and lod is done - Even dropping out of helicopters and Jets up high and parachuting down, you can see how they managed to pull off what they did.

Squad is in beta phase now, so a lot of focus is going into optimization so when Squad hits full release, it'll be as smooth as they can get it. Visual tweaks are on-going . We've seen higher quality building models being added to new maps, weapon textures improved to higher quality ones, constant updates to the lighting, megascan terrain added to new maps, water visuals improved, particle effect improvements,  and other improvements over the past few major patch releases. We can probably expect more tweaks here and there, but I wouldn't expect super detailed 4k eye candy as far as the eye can see.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dubs said:

No point comparing a AAA game with 10x the budget and 6x the development team size, to an indie dev team. They have their own tailored in-house game engine. 

Dice used smart map design, such as large buildings, hills/mountains, forested areas etc in specific places to be able to cull large amounts of objects out of player view, while also limiting render distances quite heavily. They also had quite aggressive LOD scaling which even with Ultra settings, player models and trees looked pretty low quality past the 100m - 150m mark as well as having quite heavy pop ins with small objects. 

BF3 set the benchmark for games of that particular era in terms of visuals, and does look better than quite a few modern games. Frostbite is a very powerful and well optimized engine. But they did well to hide the lower quality things, to make the highest quality things up close, stand out. Playing the big open maps like Bandar desert, you really get to see how their culling and lod is done - Even dropping out of helicopters and Jets up high and parachuting down, you can see how they managed to pull off what they did.

Squad is in beta phase now, so a lot of focus is going into optimization so when Squad hits full release, it'll be as smooth as they can get it. Visual tweaks are on-going . We've seen higher quality building models being added to new maps, weapon textures improved to higher quality ones, constant updates to the lighting, megascan terrain added to new maps, water visuals improved, particle effect improvements,  and other improvements over the past few major patch releases. We can probably expect more tweaks here and there, but I wouldn't expect super detailed 4k eye candy as far as the eye can see.


 

its have nothing to do with the team size.

smart devs know wherethey should use high res textures and where they can use low res cause no 1 will notice anyway.

but in squad its all high textures even in most useless stuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, virusman said:

all the people who say " upgrade ur potato pc " u rly full of shit

look at games like battlefield 3 that looks awesome and run awesomeon potato pcs.

its all about smart optimization ....which squad doesnt have 

+1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a former mapper in the Novalogic Delta Force games community I've personally been dabbling with UE4 on a complete hobbyist level for over 5 years now simply for educational purposes and recreational amusement. So yeah, I would still consider myself to be a complete novice however I have learned a considerable amount of information about how the program actually works. Especially about this particular subject of texture/polygon quality and how it relates to PvP replication.

 

That said, every single time one of these "graphics" threads comes up you can easily tell who has actually used the vanilla or Squad SDK and others who are simply throwing out jargon that they Googled prior to posting.

 

Needless to say, it's my opinion that before anyone can even have a valid opinion about the graphics quality either pro or con of Squad or any other UE4 game you should experiment with the editor for yourself and I guarantee you that your opinion would change drastically.

 

In this respect though whilst people are correct in noticing that over the timeline of Squad the graphics quality has been incrementally degraded and then given the silly term "optimization passes" it should be noted there are much bigger issues at play here.

 

I think the biggest problem here is that from a PvP perspective Epic Games is evolving their UE4 game engine very rapidly for their own flagship product Fortnite which on one hand is a good thing however its rapid pace is leaving everyone else in the lurch.

 

For example, in a few weeks UE4.24 will improve open world PvP performance greatly plus add an entire assortment of other exciting features however think about it from a indie developers standpoint. By the time they're able to actually migrate their entire project over to the newest greatest version they're already a couple versions behind using an obsolete version.

 

This must be frustrating.

 

So yeah, download vanilla UE4 and any number of the 8k textures and high poly models that are available for free, make the absolute smallest highly detailed forest scene you can in cinematic quality, cook it off as an executable, run it and you'll be lucky if you get 60fps with an i9 RTX2080ti.

 

Honestly this is just my opinion but Unreal Engine always has been an arena game engine and no matter what they do it will never be a true open world platform. It will still be an arena engine with a bunch of smoke and mirrors loading and unloading stuff user sees in the world meanwhile pretending that it's not by giving you a janky reach around.

 

The dev posts on their forums from around 6 years ago are long gone now but I remember them saying this exact thing that UE4 will always be an arena engine and that UE4 PvP replication maximum number should never exceed 32 players lol.

 

Only a voxel engine can ultimately achieve the true open world experience in my opinion.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Zylfrax791
of

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 4:56 AM, LeMoNz said:

I have been playing squad for a very longtime now and I think Squad is at the point where it needs to work on fixing bugs, and updating the graphics. One thing which has been a major Pain in the ass with squad is the game is the graphics are very grainy. From my understanding this may be due to people with Low End PC's or problems on their end complaining about how this game is not running on their GTX 940. 

 

Do not get me wrong new factions and everything would be amazing, and larger maps and server size but this is all stuff which has been in the works for awhile now. Graphics I think are what need updating, stop worrying about the few who are having FPS issues and stability issues with their low end PC's being completely oblivious to the fact that there system is a low end system or that the problem is on there end. 

 

Again do not get me wrong not everyone can afford a High end system but this game has been around for 3+ years but the graphics and server limitations should not be held back because there are a small few who are having trouble with their low end systems... 

Hehe, it sounds like you have a pretty good handle on the point in development we're at: beta. We're definitely looking at smooshing the nagging bugs, finishing off the loose ends of old systems, revamping graphics, and honing down performance. The press for 100 players ties a lot into that, of course.

 

You may have some see changes to things like gamma recently and we'd like to continue to develop the low end to a point where we can lock in settings for a baseline experience -- i.e., so everyone can know what the battlefield is like, without having to worry about what grass pops where. So, yeah, heard 100%!

 

There may still be some curveballs along the way and, lest anyone gets worried, we do still have some content surprises too. =) And, I'd point out, content deployments help us improve patching, releases, etc -- so they're not without technical merit either. ;) We've recently redeveloped our build pipeline, for example -- not something you'd necessarily see while playing or care about from an in-game perspective, but helps make more time for bug smashing, QA fixin', and development directly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a gtx 970, i cant afford another card for a long time because Im on disability. So should I beg my mommy to buy me a new card, or should the game developers who started developing this game back well before when i bought that card when it was new, start fixing the crazy instabilities? 

Im here ranting becuase a few minutes ago the game froze when an rpg rocket came into view, and hung there, then CTD. Its so frustrating. The hardware should be able to handle this game, I mean the game is so ugly and doesnt have that much going on in every level. So i refuse to believe its my hardware.

Your argument is fine that upgrading is logical, but not with a 5 year old game.

 

It has become CLEAR to me that most game developers push their games into instability to help graphics card companies sell more and more hardware. At the same time as phoning it in and cutting corners.

And it's also CLEAR to me, that the problems I get in game, are routed in "effects". And the stuttering has something to do with next frame rendering. 

 

Im, fatigued by these inadiquasies, and it hurts because I dont have any options.

If you are fine with spending hundreds of dollars on hardware, fine, keep chasing that dragon, but you are in the minority, and id say MOST people are laging behind in the race, and deserve a bit of a handicap.


Squad Devs, please do something about this. I dont want you to lose me as a future customer.

 

Intel Core i3-7100 CPU @ 3.90GHz
GeForce GTX 970 overclocked
8Gigz DDR4

 

In my opiniont that should be the bloody limit, considering it runs EVERY SINGLE OTHER GAME ON HIGH,
doom2016 FINE,
The Witcher 3, FINE

Grand theft auto 5, FINE, 
Batman Arkham Knight FINE

 

But anything running on the UE4 engine, tends to look like dogshit and chugs like an old donkey.

 

Edited by Psyko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Psyko said:

I have a gtx 970....

The gtx 970 was launched in 2014. It's done you well (still a relatively good card). As it's well out of warranty and starting to feel the strain you really should consider saving for the gtx 3070.

 

The PS4 was launched in 2013. That's due an upgrade shortly also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" the few who are having FPS issues "

If you're not running a consistent 144fps; you're having fps issues and have no say on this matter.

Squad optimization is shit(UE4 was never made to work with 100 players properly; check out a PUBG replay to know what I mean) and there is plenty to be worked on before graphics can be improved.

Edited by EcchiRevenge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, EcchiRevenge said:

If you're not running a consistent 144fps; you're having fps issues and have no say on this matter.

not sure if troll, or am i misreading this ...?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

not sure if troll, or am i misreading this ...?

 

What do you think it means?

Squad doesn't look very good and it still runs badly.  They need to optimize the game and try to fit in more gameplay mechanics instead of trying to improve graphics that would only kill the game further.  Because you can find a ton of graphically superior games(hell, even PUBG has more detail on interiors) out there; but gameplay is Squad's real selling point.

As long as a screenshot doesn't immediately turn prejudiced people away(as they did with Project Reality), it's fine.

Edited by EcchiRevenge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, EcchiRevenge said:

What do you think it means?

i read it like this: You're saying if i don't get consistant 144Hz, i must have a framerate problem.

are you suggesting that anywhere below 144Hz is some kind of FPS issue?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep it on topic and leave the childish comments out. Last warning for some of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2020-01-21 at 11:38 PM, Psyko said:

I have a gtx 970, i cant afford another card for a long time because Im on disability. So should I beg my mommy to buy me a new card, or should the game developers who started developing this game back well before when i bought that card when it was new, start fixing the crazy instabilities? 

Im here ranting becuase a few minutes ago the game froze when an rpg rocket came into view, and hung there, then CTD. Its so frustrating. The hardware should be able to handle this game, I mean the game is so ugly and doesnt have that much going on in every level. So i refuse to believe its my hardware.

Your argument is fine that upgrading is logical, but not with a 5 year old game.

 

It has become CLEAR to me that most game developers push their games into instability to help graphics card companies sell more and more hardware. At the same time as phoning it in and cutting corners.

And it's also CLEAR to me, that the problems I get in game, are routed in "effects". And the stuttering has something to do with next frame rendering. 

 

Im, fatigued by these inadiquasies, and it hurts because I dont have any options.

If you are fine with spending hundreds of dollars on hardware, fine, keep chasing that dragon, but you are in the minority, and id say MOST people are laging behind in the race, and deserve a bit of a handicap.


Squad Devs, please do something about this. I dont want you to lose me as a future customer.

 

Intel Core i3-7100 CPU @ 3.90GHz
GeForce GTX 970 overclocked
8Gigz DDR4

 

In my opiniont that should be the bloody limit, considering it runs EVERY SINGLE OTHER GAME ON HIGH,
doom2016 FINE,
The Witcher 3, FINE

Grand theft auto 5, FINE, 
Batman Arkham Knight FINE

 

But anything running on the UE4 engine, tends to look like dogshit and chugs like an old donkey.

 

 

I also have a 970 i have not have  any of the issues you have. I cannot run everything on epic but i can still have decent graphic and framerate. And my CPU is an i5-6400 at around 3.2GHz....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×