Sign in to follow this  
Chinchilla

Will there ever be object damage?

I would love for a tank to be able to knock down trees or blow up a building or part of it. Or a tank/rocket/arty/IED leaving a cluster of holes in the field after impact.

Was this ever talked about or was there any mention of object damage from the devs?

Would it be hard to properly implement without too much of a performance hit?

On 2019-11-28 at 9:24 PM, Chinchilla said:

I would love for a tank to be able to knock down trees or blow up a building or part of it. Or a tank/rocket/arty/IED leaving a cluster of holes in the field after impact.

Was this ever talked about or was there any mention of object damage from the devs?

Would it be hard to properly implement without too much of a performance hit?

That might be too resource intensive considering large parts of many maps are trees or brush. I also dont know if the engine deals with that type of thing well.

I think that it might be one of those things that have to be planned from the beginning in order for it to work. It would probably take a complete overhaul of the entire. I've also heard people say that these kind of things don't work too well in UE4.

Most likely not considering this sort of thing is usually considered when building the engine itself. The frostbite engine did this extremely well with battlefield 3, squad was not built for this...if it was ever considered, assured it would cost extra $$ from the community. 

There's some opportunity to work with objects in the world, performance allowing, but fully destructible environments aren't likely -- we're still at a point in that technology that you really do need to build a game around it, rather than just as a bullet-point feature. I'm told a lot of the problem comes from having to replicate every piece of data across all the clients... which gets notably more complex as you add more people to the game.

Still, Unreal is an evolving engine, and we'd all love more simulated world fun, so we'll continue to see what we can work in, where and when we can.