The ability for one of the kits to deploy a ladder would be fantastic.

I can't tell you the number of times I've been in a squad and wanted to get on top of something or over a wall and had to wrestle with the vault mechanic to do it.

Trying to get onto roofs, trying to get over obstetrical on some of the more maze like maps, trying to see over stuff, you all know how ladders can be used.

In fact, I've only rarely found good use for the barbed wire kit and I've occasionally found the sand bag kit useful, but I'm pretty sure I could find a use for an extra ladder many times per round.

As such it would be an extremely powerful tool and should come with a steep disadvantage. My first inclination was to give it to the engineer kit, but those guys are already too strong at taking out FOBs without giving them the ability to scale walls too.

But if you were to, say, replace the barbed wire kit in the optic-less rifleman with a ladder kit it would add a lot of utility to that class that I think it's lacking right now. Suddenly that kit becomes a trade-off between added squad mobility and an additional optic.

Balance wise when it comes to attacking, a single ladder shouldn't be OP. It may allow for some surprise, if it can get dug without blowing your cover, but the single file nature of it forces a big chokepoint in your squad's movement if utilized in a firefight. Of course this statement is somewhat contingent on how much ammo it costs. I'd suggest something like 60 ammo, to make sure it can't be abused. Sure it means that kit can place 2 instead of 1, but it's also taking a lot of ammo out of the mouths of your AT.

It would make a great addition to the engineer role for the conventional forces, seeing they use telescopic ladders frequently for urban operations.

That was my knee-jerk reaction as well. It makes a lot of sense from a realism point of view but my personal opinion is it wouldn't be balanced. Nor would it be helpful to most squads since a team can have at most 2 engineers.

A "Tactical Ladder" is already in the game. Simply drop a FOB and place a ladder. How hard is that? We do it all the time on certain maps to get into places that aren't typically available.

You could use the same logic for sand bags, barbed wire, and ammo.

The whole point is to allow for some extra utility without needing to coordinate an extra 1-3 people, without having to potentially endanger additional assets, and without the added time and ticket risk required to work through a full supply line.

Yes, you can use the game mechanics as they are to do what I'm suggesting would make it far more practical.

And I would like to have a constructive discussion on this topic.

I want to see more nature orientated stuff such as tactical ladder or rope, in addition with  a map that has a location wich only allows a noisy chopper drop off or some squad silently aproaching, scaling cliffs, climbing little cascades. Some element of dealing with nature/terrain first, before you reach the location you want to attack.

28 minutes ago, LetumComplexo said:

You could use the same logic for sand bags, barbed wire, and ammo.

The whole point is to allow for some extra utility without needing to coordinate an extra 1-3 people, without having to potentially endanger additional assets, and without the added time and ticket risk required to work through a full supply line.

Yes, you can use the game mechanics as they are to do what I'm suggesting would make it far more practical.

And I would like to have a constructive discussion on this topic.

Carrying around a 10 foot ladder is hardly practical though.

The development team has already logically considered that a 10 foot tall ladder is obviously deployed from a truck and not carried in your back pocket. This isn't rocket surgery. That's why it's already been in the game for quite some time now and is actually quite useful for placing trick FOB's and ATGM emplacements in elevated positions.

At some point though a line needs to be drawn between fantasy arcade and what is considered to be feasible irl. I personally think they've done a superb job with the objects that you can build in the game and the implementation of the ladder makes sense from a practical standpoint.

On 11/27/2019 at 6:43 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

Carrying around a 10 foot ladder is hardly practical though.

The development team has already logically considered that a 10 foot tall ladder is obviously deployed from a truck and not carried in your back pocket. This isn't rocket surgery. That's why it's already been in the game for quite some time now and is actually quite useful for placing trick FOB's and ATGM emplacements in elevated positions.

At some point though a line needs to be drawn between fantasy arcade and what is considered to be feasible irl. I personally think they've done a superb job with the objects that you can build in the game and the implementation of the ladder makes sense from a practical standpoint.

Telescoping Ladders

Image result for military telescoping ladder"

Edited by LetumComplexo

8 hours ago, LetumComplexo said:

Telescoping Ladders

Image result for military telescoping ladder"

Devs said buttloads of times the game is supposed to be about RA units not high speed low drag operaters, hence no Barrett's, portable Mini-Guns, Milkor's, SCAR's and all kinds of other exotic specialized equipment. MARSOC has a dog there too, should we put a first person dog role in Squad too? Maybe also CIA role with blue jeans, khaki fishermans vest and silenced H&K Mark 23? The skies the limit.

Deployable combat ladders will be something experimented with post 1.0 full release. They've been on the radar for years(as has the breacher kit) but there's been things higher on the priority list.

There's been mentions by some devs how they want them physics based, so they can be layed horizontally as well, to act as makeshift bridges etc So in due time we might see them :)

10 hours ago, LetumComplexo said:

Telescoping Ladders

We used similar telescopic ladders, ours were 2.5ft retracted and 12ft when fully extended, weighed just 9.7kg IIRC. 

In PR they had ropes for this as seen in this video:

Also I remember that the devs “promised” fast ropes from helis as seen in this squad intro video.

Maby it is a planned feature?

they should stay as a FOB asset (is that worded right?), only deployable within radius and definitely not stackable.

On 28/11/2019 at 2:41 AM, LetumComplexo said:

My first inclination was to give it to the engineer kit, but those guys are already too strong at taking out FOBs without giving them the ability to scale walls too.

agree to give ladders to only the Engineer, makes sense in a logical way and will limit how many can be deployed. (the bolded bit) - yes they can do what you suggest but they're also giving any other nearby player the ability to use that same ladder.

also, is getting a boost-up from a mate not a thing anymore? - makes most walls easily surmounted from what i've seen.

3 hours ago, Sgt.Hiccups said:

Also I remember that the devs “promised” fast ropes from helis as seen in this squad intro video.

sadly, promises get broken on a daily basis by everyone (glad you put quotes around that Sgt.H.). that vid is Bluedrake42's opinion, and assumptions, about what Squad would be based on extremely early information. the fastropes were initially promised (for a given value of "promise", OC) and i think they tried them but had issues - the picture BD42 shows is a photo from RL, not the game. he also states that Squad "is the first tangable successor" (fair call and true enough), "official sequel ... in everthing but name" (hmm, long bow to draw this one, and prolly overstating it), "PR community ... turned upside-down"  - i mean why over-hype something so hard at such an early stage? it just leads to the inevitable whining about twisted undies from people who believe everything on the internet.

i personally think that 100(or more) player servers is far more important than fast-ropes ...  actually, even more important is getting shadows rendering more than just 100m from the player (THE most immersion-breaking thing in the Squad so far, for me at least) - looks completely terrible and not what you'd expect from the latest thing in engines - then again UE4 can't even draw a circle!