Sign in to follow this  
tzaeru

Time to remove buddy rally?

Hi,

Now that we've helicopters in and the Commander system right around the corner (which, I imagine, should help with coordination and losing vehicles unnecessarily), I'd suggest to at least try disabling the buddy rally system for a while. It's too strong when used well (e.g. a duo of squad leader and one other can sneak behind enemy lines, set up a rally and then several full squads can spawn there) and pushes the game to be faster and a bit less punishing of mistakes. I think the buddy rally system was a necessary stop-gap for the larger maps, but helicopters already helped a lot and the Commander role should finish the job.

Thanks for consideration!

We will be changing this in a patch following b17 release.

I agree buddy rally is too disruptive 

5 minutes ago, fuzzhead said:

Thanks for the quick reply - awesome to hear!

49 minutes ago, fuzzhead said:

Thank you very much Fuzz :3

Still, what's the solution for the clans cheesing the existing rally point system by "squad hopping" though? Getting rid of BR will do nothing to prevent organized groups from simply switching squads and waterfalling on the strategic rally their buddies just placed on the attack flag.

15 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Still, what's the solution for the clans cheesing the existing rally point system by "squad hopping" though? Getting rid of BR will do nothing to prevent organized groups from simply switching squads and waterfalling on the strategic rally their buddies just placed on the attack flag.

Is this really a problem? They lose the majority of their ammo + grenades + extra bandages + AT ammo, etc, doing that.

2 hours ago, tzaeru said:

Is this really a problem? They lose the majority of their ammo + grenades + extra bandages + AT ammo, etc, doing that.

2 person vanguard squad that actually put the rally point down can be there with a transport truck or mrap which can easily supply basic ammo needs. They can also leave an ammo bag. Remember, the whole point is simply get 3 or more folks on the fresh flag to quick cap it before the other team can respond because nobody ever defends flags that aren't in play.

I don't like "Buddy Rally" either, but there are still maps without helicopters, there could be no Commander role allowed on server (or free weekend with newbie SLs, who don't know how to promote one).

Biggest problem of BR - extremely fast redeploying in the defenders rear, when they rushed out and overrun enemy attacking FOB. Second one - risk of exposure of primary rally. Solution:

1. Buddy rally request (like vehicles requets). If there is another rally in 50m radius, it's owner have to agree too. 
  2. Buddy rally are single use and limited capacity (SL+2).
  3. Requesing side will wait 2 minutes until spawn, and SL rally timer will be reset when spawning on BR.
  4. Accepting BR request reset you rally timer, adds 2 min to you own rally timer and all rallies in 50m radius. If another request accepted in 4 minutes - 2x more time added.

Result: last rally owner will think twice before accepting 3 simultaneous request, because it will delay his men for 14 minutes (2 + 2*2 + 2*2*2) and all others will be able to spawn in 16 minutes.