Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Covalent

Stop making vehicles useless.

Recommended Posts

Recently watching some footage of Alpha 17, you can attach IED's to the drone and fly it into a tank and blow it up.  Limit it to only be able to take on one IED, then it might be just a bit more balanced.  Now we have to worry about bikes, vehicles, drones, HAT's from INS/MIL.  Gotta worry about TOW's, HAT's, and unbalanced vehicles facing each other on other factions. 

 

There is so much anti-tank on the field that if you're within a certain distance, which you typically have to be because the map design forces it.  There are maybe only a few map layers where you can actually shoot from 400m away, and that is still very easy to hit with HAT's.

 

You also have sappers/engineers running around, planting down 4+ mines on every other road that you have to be careful about.

 

I wouldn't mind driving offroad, if offroad wasn't terribly slow and ridiculously tedious.

 

On top of that, MAKE IT SO I CAN SHOOT COAX IN VEHICLES WITH MY RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON.  WHY HASN'T THIS BEEN FIXED YET??

 

WHY DO I NEED TO UNLOAD MY MAIN CANNON, TO SHOOT MY GOD DAMN MACHINE GUN????  ONLY TO RE LOAD IT WHEN I NEED TO SHOOT MY MAIN CANNON.

 

Give THERMALS to their respective vehicles.

Edited by Covalent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It really is a pain to drive off road because of the loss of speed.  An Abrams tops out at 45mph, I don't think a 3% grade in the terrain should hinder that very much.

And seriously, having coax would be SO much better as a secondary fire than as one you have to load independently.  What's up with that?

 

With thermals, I can only imagine how much of a pain it is to code that.  Heat signatures, terrain temperature, the differences in how they appear.  I doubt it's easy, but if BF2 PR had it, then come on guys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The IED really should have a collider around it that stops another IED from being placed. Make it a little bigger than the whole Drone so you can only do one.

 

That would also mean you'd have more incentive to use vehicles larger than the bike for big payloads which would be nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Covalent said:

On top of that, MAKE IT SO I CAN SHOOT COAX IN VEHICLES WITH MY RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON.  WHY HASN'T THIS BEEN FIXED YET??

 

21 hours ago, Clayton.Q[3SFG] said:

And seriously, having coax would be SO much better as a secondary fire than as one you have to load independently.  What's up with that?

The problem with making the coax a dedicated button rather than a toggle goes against how the tank actually operates (based on other american tanks, not for certain on the m1). Most of the time on armored vehicles they don't have a dedicated trigger for the coax rather having a toggle switch using the same controls as the main gun. With that in mind the coax works fine in game. Hopefully some 19k can come along and make sure I'm not just talking out my ass.

 

Though they really need to get rid of the reload after every weapon switch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Geebus said:

 

The problem with making the coax a dedicated button rather than a toggle goes against how the tank actually operates (based on other american tanks, not for certain on the m1). Most of the time on armored vehicles they don't have a dedicated trigger for the coax rather having a toggle switch using the same controls as the main gun. With that in mind the coax works fine in game. Hopefully some 19k can come along and make sure I'm not just talking out my ass.

 

Though they really need to get rid of the reload after every weapon switch.

 

okay I get switching to coax to fire, whatever, but it unloads your main cannon so when you switch back to blap a FRAG or HEAT round into a building you have to ****ing wait for it to load.  It's stupid as ****.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Covalent said:

 

okay I get switching to coax to fire, whatever, but it unloads your main cannon so when you switch back to blap a FRAG or HEAT round into a building you have to ****ing wait for it to load.  It's stupid as ****.

I'm sure everyone hates it. And I'd bet that the devs know it as well. Either they deem that it isn't that big of a problem or it might take a lot of work to make the system different for vehicles. Kinda similar to how you unload the m203 before putting it away, the system might be tied to the infantry weapon switching and require an overhaul to both in order to fix this little bit. I'm leaning towards it being a hard problem but I'm not a programmer so I could just be talking out my ass. . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think they are useless. IRL tanks like the abrams are pretty tough to kill, and theres such a restricted number of HAT in the game, that tanks seem to have pretty good survival rates against infantry in my experience. BTRs have always been tin cans, and can barely  stop a 7.62 Nato round. I think things are modeled pretty accurately. The problem right now is that people still have not mastered vehicle/infantry tactics. Instead of supporting the infantry, vehicles insist on going off by themselves unsupported. I don't know how many times I see tanks completely alone, on the other side of the map, tracked, and the crew dead from jumping out to repair. Vehicles are not being used properly, and teams pay the price as a result.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Players are always the problem, if i can play an entire round not losing my tank or bradley or btr even once, then anyone can do it.

For bradleys and brts, make a mechanized infantry squad, work together, make sure the vehicle is never without infantry. Tanks are also infantry support vehicles, supposed to be used like it. Stay back, pay attention, have some infantry support and you're usually good. Yes the enemy will take you out sometimes, but that's not making the vehicles useless, it just makes players creative and smart with how to deal with your armour.

Edited by Guan_Yu007

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14.11.2019 at 2:45 AM, Clayton.Q[3SFG] said:

It really is a pain to drive off road because of the loss of speed.  An Abrams tops out at 45mph, I don't think a 3% grade in the terrain should hinder that very much.

And seriously, having coax would be SO much better as a secondary fire than as one you have to load independently.  What's up with that?

 

With thermals, I can only imagine how much of a pain it is to code that.  Heat signatures, terrain temperature, the differences in how they appear.  I doubt it's easy, but if BF2 PR had it, then come on guys!

Actually coding thermals isn't too hard and there is plenty of documents about that my friend released article how to code thermals for unity but there are articles for udk too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019-11-15 at 2:54 PM, Guan_Yu007 said:

Players are always the problem, if i can play an entire round not losing my tank or bradley or btr even once, then anyone can do it.

For bradleys and brts, make a mechanized infantry squad, work together, make sure the vehicle is never without infantry. Tanks are also infantry support vehicles, supposed to be used like it. Stay back, pay attention, have some infantry support and you're usually good. Yes the enemy will take you out sometimes, but that's not making the vehicles useless, it just makes players creative and smart with how to deal with your armour.

 

it's easy to say vehicles are fine when you play in low comp servers

 

play against a decent team that actually know what they're doing instead of free weekend or sale people that just got the game

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you say vehicles are getting wrecked, and are useless, I'm reading "I don't know how to work with infantry properly and/or infantry doesn't sweep/protect the asset".

 

Yes vehicles need to be made a bit stronger, however if a tank thinks it can just run through a city and not get lit up, you're crazy. That's not how they're used in real life, for the exact reasons you're stating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/11/2019 at 4:41 PM, Stom said:

The IED really should have a collider around it that stops another IED from being placed. Make it a little bigger than the whole Drone so you can only do one.

...

the IED and/or the drone gets a diamond/angled collision, so nothing can be placed on it(them).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

the IED and/or the drone gets a diamond/angled collision, so nothing can be placed on it(them).

recent videos from popular youtubers state otherwise

 

15 hours ago, Serjikal said:

When you say vehicles are getting wrecked, and are useless, I'm reading "I don't know how to work with infantry properly and/or infantry doesn't sweep/protect the asset".

 

Yes vehicles need to be made a bit stronger, however if a tank thinks it can just run through a city and not get lit up, you're crazy. That's not how they're used in real life, for the exact reasons you're stating. 

 

I have nearly 1000 hours on Squad, I know what I'm doing.  I usually ride with a friend who has 400+ hours as well.  Vics are really weak with how much is in the game that wants to kill them, and how loud/easy it is to locate them.

 

If we had thermals on the respective vehicles, it'd be a lot less of an issue, but there is way too much to look out for right now.

 

The excuse of "THIS IS SQUAD, PEOPLE CAN SEE FURTHER NOW!" compared to Project Reality is bogus.  Every damn map has fog within 500m now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 5:38 PM, drfreee said:

Actually coding thermals isn't too hard and there is plenty of documents about that my friend released article how to code thermals for unity but there are articles for udk too

Cool!  I learned something new today.  Could you PM me the article your friend did?  Would love to give it a look

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As one of the "free weekend noobs" its not been easy to get time on vehicles, don't get me wrong I played every day of the free weekend and purchased the game even after I started to notice the game having overwatch style issues with team work, toxicity and language barrier problems (eu).

 

first, most servers will not allow single player usage and some other commander will give you shit for it and ask you not to waste the asset, but in most games tanks and apcs sit in main base all game, so makes no sense to me.

 

second, if by some chance you get someone willing to squad with you and play the roles in lets say an mbt you start getting into issues with commander vs driver vs gunner. what I mean is one has this idea the other has another idea and you kinda just have to live with it and let them do what they want to get some time in on the tank, I suspect that's a trust thing because im noticing players treat almost everyone as if they are new or stupid and playing SL is the best example of this.

 

if one of the members has no mic it gets even less fun..

 

coming from a BF series player Bf2mc, bad company, bf3,bf4 etc tanks do take a lot more effort to not only get into a good position but to be effective too.

im not sure being new if explosive armour is a thing and its clear we don't have things like trophy or similar in the game either.

 

I do think having better vision types to the corresponding tank would help, maybe a bigger backblast/smoke trail after rpg shot fire? I don't know but I run the game at medium settings and that might not help too.

 

the t62's commander is also a fat target to being headshot with no way of buttoning up. 

 

and there's flipping and getting stuck on things like rubbish bags, my last game I got stuck twice in a t62 on stuff a real tank would squash and the crew wouldn't even feel. 

 

with the implementation of air strikes by commanders the only real way to play an mbt without getting fragged in the first 5 minutes will no longer be viable, plonk your tank at a part of the map and own that area. after v16 goes live I suspect that will die a death with no crew member wanting to attract a10's.

 

It is frustrating over all to play anything other then foot grunts I understand the issues laid out by covalent.

 

Edited by Beard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/11/2019 at 6:19 AM, Covalent said:
On 19/11/2019 at 2:41 PM, LaughingJack said:

the IED and/or the drone gets a diamond/angled collision, so nothing can be placed on it(them).

recent videos from popular youtubers state otherwise   << i assume you refer to IED-stacking on drones?

ermm, to clarify, because i think you missed my meaning, possibly: "the IED and/or the drone gets TO GET/SHOULD GET a diamond/angled collision, so nothing can be placed on it(them)."

Edited by LaughingJack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×