Gatzby

Beta 17 Public Testing

Hey squaddies!

We’re calling you in for some fire support on this one! Beta 17 now being deployed to your Squad – Public Testing client and features the new Commander role. That role comes with some cool new tools and, perhaps more importantly, a big bit of BOOM. While we’re still working on the file set of patch notes, we did want to include a partial list of changes to help you test. Be sure to let us know what you think!

PUBLIC TEST NOTES

SYSTEMS

COMMANDER ROLE ADDED

We’re introducing a new leadership role that is focused on planning and keeping the team on task. The intent for this role is to keep intel flowing between the various Squads, and in ideal circumstances, Commanders can create a dynamic plan for the entire team to follow. We envision that this role can be played in a variety of styles.

• Commander role is voluntary and requires a vote to elect.
  • Commander abilities are on timers. These may vary for release, so please send us your feedback!
  • Conventional Faction Commanders have access to a UAV that can be used for remote reconnaissance. 
  • Conventional Faction Commanders have access to 155mm Artillery barrage, in a creeping pattern or a static pattern focused on one location. Conventional Artillery fires two “ranging” shots before the main barrage.
  • Conventional Commanders have access to an aircraft based Gun or Rocket strike.
  • Unconventional MIL & INS Commanders have access to a Handheld Drone, a more versatile UAV.
  • Unconventional Commanders have access to a static Heavy Mortar barrage. Heavy Mortars are less accurate, have less splash damage, and less penetrating power, but do not have any “ranging” shots required by conventional artillery. 
  • Commander abilities have cooldown timers. (Timers reset if a new commander is selected.)
  • Conventional Factions Commanders must be within the radius of a fully built HAB use their abilities.
  • Unconventional Factions Commanders must be within the radius of a HAB or near any friendly vehicle to use their abilities.

INFANTRY GAMEPLAY

• Added a stamina penalty for leaning, with stamina loss over time when moving as well as using it in bursts. Note: Further improvements to the leaning system and ways to prevent its abuse are in development for a future update.
  • Added stance based stamina regeneration. Stamina will now regenerate faster while crouched and stationary; fastest while prone and stationary.
  • Updated leaning to have different movement speeds. (Crouched movement speed is halved while leaning).
  • Improved the prone lean trace blocking to help decrease the chances that a player can see through the world on steep hills. Further work is in progress.

VEHICLE GAMEPLAY

• Added vehicle velocity inheritance to players ejecting from vehicles in motion. If a player ejects past a certain velocity, the player will ragdoll and take damage upon impacting the ground.
  • Updated all vehicles to use a new and improved Speed Dependent Gearbox system . Instead of shifting gears at engine RPM ratios gear shifting now happens based on vehicle speed. This will make sure vehicles are always in the best gear driving uphill.
  • Updated Helicopters to have a subtle camera shake during active flight. Camera shake intensity is based on RPMs of the engine.
  • Updated Helicopters so that they can now be steered for a short while after disabling the engine.
  • Adjusted Helicopter collective sensitivity.

MISC

• Added the ability to join another server via the server browser while currently in a server or in the local training range.
  • Added the ability to queue up to another server while currently in a server or in local training range – HUD will show a small queue widget to let the player know their current queue status.

DEPLOYABLES GAMEPLAY

• Updated Insurgent HAB static to be larger with a new interior layout, to help eliminate players spawning on top. Spawning on top is still an occasional issue and will be fixed in a future update.
  • Fixed collisions on the ZU23 and Mortars to now collide properly with vehicles and vehicle physics bodies.

USER INTERFACE

• Added a toggle on the command screen to collapse the squad list, so the map can now be displayed in fullscreen glory – especially useful for Commanders.
  • Added a toggle to deployment and command screen (chat bubble toggle) to turn on/off text chat (also accessible in UI options).
  • Removed [GAMENOTIFICATION] showing up in server messages.

KNOWN ISSUES

• Helicopter Tail Rotor component currently can only take damage from collisions with ground, statics and other vehicles. Projectile damage to tail rotors will come in a future update.
  • Helicopters have various handling tweaks, damage values and small bugs that will be addressed in a future update.
  • Clients frequently crash at the end of a round, upon map switch due to a UE4 Particle Crash bug upon seamless map travel. Actively pursuing a fix for this crash.
  • When clients get a crash to desktop and the Crash Reporter appears, pressing “Send and Restart Squad” will restart Squad without EAC, which will prevent players from joining most public servers. The workaround, for the time being, is to press “Send and Close”. A proper fix for this issue is under investigation.
  • Occasional client crashes in various circumstances. Detailed crash reports help us fix things faster and we truly appreciate those that have filled out and sent crash reports.
  • Players will occasionally spawn without full ammo on their first spawn on a server. This occurs if a player was in the match during the map switch but did not spawn in during the staging phase. Actively investigating a fix for this bug.
  • Occasionally a player will not spawn at a Rally Point, this often happens when numerous players are spawning in at the exact same time. Actively investigating a fix for this bug.
  • Server performance may periodically dip when a server has a high population and high load. We are continuously working to improve server performance and optimization.
  • Occasionally Self-bandaging fails. Actively investigating a fix for this issue.
  • The CP Icon (Capture Point / Flag) will sometimes not show up on a client’s HUD in the RAAS game mode. This is likely related to RAAS “Lanes”. Investigating a fix for this issue.
  • Insurgent HAB still has a spawning issue where there’s a chance the player will spawn on top of the model instead of inside it. Actively investigating a fix for this bug.
  • ATGM projectiles desync for other players that are not the gunner, however, what the gunner sees should be the true synced projectile. This is an inherent problem, and the solution will be in the long term.
  • Vehicles parking brake will get stuck “On” if a player exits the vehicle while holding the parking brake (Default Spacebar). When encountering a vehicle that appears healthy but is not able to move, try hitting Spacebar to turn the parking brake “Off’. Investigating a fix for this issue.
  • “Alt-tabbing” out of Squad during a loading screen will freeze the client. The recommended solution, for now, is to run in “Borderless” mode.
  • Ammo rack component (on IFVs and Tanks) takes a very long time to repair.
  • Audio module for Squad is initialized at the game start. If a player does not have a microphone plugged in at launch, or accidentally unplug their microphone and then plug it back in, Squad will need to be restarted to get the microphone to work again.
  • SFX bug while Firing in full auto.If the player presses the fire button for a short period of time, the sound effect gives the impression that you fired more rounds then you actually did.
  • Localization for most language translations is currently out of date. Our plan is to push a full localization pass when we are much closer to full release and are locking down all the text that will need to be translated for the game.
  • Local/Offline Bug with Vehicles: When playing offline on Jensen’s Range, Tracks, Wheels, and other components are not destructible while on the Jensen’s Range in Local play.
  • Local/Offline Bug with Weapon damages: When playing offline on Jensen’s Range, Weapon damages with both Infantry and Vehicle weapons are not accurately replicated.
  • Local/Offline Bug with Scoped Emplacements: When playing offline on Jensen’s Range,if a player exits an Emplacement while looking through the scope, the Scope will remain on the Player’s HUD until they get back in the Emplacement and then Scope out.

There are, of course, bound to be some more bugs being a test release… which is precisely where you come in! Be sure to let us know what you think in the forums, or drop by Discord to give us some feedback!

Happy hunting, squaddies.

OFFWORLD OUT.

I was hoping to test Commander role on the shooting range and I was disappointed to see this. :(

OWPkgZ4.png

Edited by MrBboy

this is just going to ruin vehicle gameplay even more than it already is, people barely want to take out vehicles as is in competent servers

Bravo OWI team. This is 100% the opposite direction I expected this to go.

However I really like the concept and can't wait to try it out.

Thank you (a) challenging the norm of fps/rts (b) making such a fun game.

Absolutely amazing stuff OWI, but only thing i wish to do is  to FLY Attack Jet in cockpit, not just look at them at 3-rd perspective.
I wanna mistakes of pilot and targeting, couple of approaches to attack area,because of the Sam's in area,working flares and dumb bombs.
But anyway - outstanding job!

can you please make the aircrafts player-controlled because jets are what gave me courage to buy this game 3 years ago and it was a hefty price for me

This update looks a lot of fun indeed.

Quick question though: With all these artillery and air strikes call ins, aren’t buildable regular mortars sort of becoming obsolete?

Edited by Viajero

Conventional forces gets at most one artillery strike per game so it isnt really a replacement for mortars. Airstrikes are also too limited to fully replace mortars.
Mortars is not only to kill enemies but to also to suppress and blind them, making their life miserable in general. These tasks will still be viable.

14 hours ago, MrBboy said:

I was hoping to test Commander role on the shooting range and I was disappointed to see this. :(

OWPkgZ4.png

Worse, there seems to exist an admin console command to demote commanders, but not one to promote them.

1 hour ago, Pluto is a planet said:

Conventional forces gets at most one artillery strike per game so it isnt really a replacement for mortars. Airstrikes are also too limited to fully replace mortars.
Mortars is not only to kill enemies but to also to suppress and blind them, making their life miserable in general. These tasks will still be viable.

Only one arti strike per game? Oh wow. Based on the cool down figures in the videos (a few minutes) I thought they would be much more prevalent.

On 12.11.2019 at 10:21 PM, Gatzby said:

Added vehicle velocity inheritance to players ejecting from vehicles in motion. If a player ejects past a certain velocity, the player will ragdoll and take damage upon impacting the ground.

Finally, this will help to decelerate the average game flow :3

1 hour ago, Viajero said:

Only one arti strike per game? Oh wow. Based on the cool down figures in the videos (a few minutes) I thought they would be much more prevalent.

not specificlly one per game but it is very limited or timed just like in project reality and it will never replace mortars at all

I really like the game, the community is very loyal, also gentle for new players, and the gameplay is intensiv, more if there is everybody of the team playing together, great work and keep up.

What i suggest is an advanced settig for the key bindings (1), including controller for example a joystick for helicopters.

(1) perhaps i didnt found out how, but for example invertig mous, or have different axes to set.

as said a Joystick would be amazing

yo, keeo up

Some ideas for additional fire support. 

-illumination rounds for night maps

-Barrel bombs for insurgents/militia delivered by ai controlled helicopter run

-Hellcannon for insurgents (Huge improvised mortars)

-White phosphorus (may be too edgy)

-chlorine gas for insurgents

-MLRS for Russia/others

-cruise missile (one very precise missile)

Feel free to add to this

+ Dragging 9_9

P.S.: I always have the problem after i play and Public Testing(pre release version), i can never go back to play the previous version(normal Squad game) x) Loving v17! 

Edited by Lio

Hello OWI people <3

Those have probably been reported on the Discord...

- Lets start with the biggest issue, when the timer reaches zero on the artillery it sometimes bumps back to 12min or more (I think) before I can use it and I haven't figured a reason for it.

- I cannot see the front line commander marker after I place it.

- When I use the map (Enter) to place or delete marker on it while running it stops me now (after thinking about it I think it could be on purpose, but you tell me ^^).

- Pressing TAB to show the scoreboard doesn't work anymore while I am on the deployment screen (the TAB key will act like pressing TAB on a web page and will select various things).

It is really useful to me as a SL, more than to "just" look at the scores (to see who is alive or dead and I just prefer the way it looks than the deployment screen in certain cases, to see every squad and their squad members names and roles faster for example. Also it is just more convenient to hold/release TAB while running than pressing Enter ;) ).

- I would love a way to be able to see the markers I place as a commander while using the UAV which is currently not possible (I always have to back up and check the deployment menu map to make sure I placed them in the right place)

- While in the UAV I can only place general markers using the T menu, not specific ones, forcing me to go back to an other map and change them every time)

>>> Edit: I understand that this can't really be changed unless you add every markers to the T menu possibly making it a big mess. This is not a real issue. Although I would like to "see" the marker appear that I place like when I use the T menu while I am on the ground ;)

- While talking as a commander using the UAV (and also entirely while on the Command map I think) I cannot see the radio indicator in the bottom left (I know, that people do hear me, but you can never be certain and that is annoying ^^). Also there is cases when the radio indicator will stop showing where it wouldn't stop showing in v16.

I may have forgot a few, and if that is the case I will make a new post.

Aside those issues I really like all the gameplay changes and additions you have made aside the commander which I think is a cool feature but will need a few changes to be perfected according to what the community wants of course. (for example, I would love to be able to pilot the A-10 or Su-25 myself even if it very limited and only allows one pass (old Arma 2 player here ^^). Also the timer for the commander abilities should not reset when changing commander but stay the same as it was because right now if someone does a new vote and no one votes and it changes the commander it makes it unusable for even longer (also what if I disconnect?).

Oh one more thing, in my opinion the helicopter shake should be reduced a tad (but its fine ^^).

I love your work on the game since I bought it a few years ago, I hope you keep it alive for a long time!

Edit for clarity and about the UAV "issue".

Edited by Julienn
clarity, better explanation

2 hours ago, Julienn said:

Aside those issues I really like all the gameplay changes and additions you have made aside the commander which I think is a cool feature but will need a few changes to be perfected according to what the community wants of course. (for example, I would love to be able to pilot the A-10 or Su-25 myself even if it very limited and only allows one pass (old Arma 2 player here ^^). Also the timer for the commander abilities should not reset when changing commander but stay the same as it was because right now if someone does a new vote and no one votes and it changes the commander it makes it unusable for even longer (also what if I disconnect?).

Oh one more thing, in my opinion the helicopter shake should be reduced a tad (but its fine ^^).

I love your work on the game since I bought it a few years ago, I hope you keep it alive for a long time!

i agree with you that the A-10 or DU-25 should be Player-controlled instead of AI-controlled aswell i agree on the second point about the timer, it should not be reset when changing commander it has to stay the same all time unless used then timer should start just like in Project Reality

1 hour ago, eagon89 said:

what-to-eat_c_1230793.thumb.jpg.78e02d15a83c3b20a509ae5e1985ec45.jpg

i would say yes and no at this time because we still do not have player-controlled aircrafts

Edited by tabti13

22 hours ago, HnBSmith said:

I really like the game, the community is very loyal, also gentle for new players, and the gameplay is intensiv, more if there is everybody of the team playing together, great work and keep up.

What i suggest is an advanced settig for the key bindings (1), including controller for example a joystick for helicopters.

(1) perhaps i didnt found out how, but for example invertig mous, or have different axes to set.

as said a Joystick would be amazing

yo, keeo up

Welcome to the forum! As I am one of those weirdos, I know for a fact you can invert your mouse in the settings.  You can find it at the "Game" option menu where you can also configure the mouse speed and stuff.