BeerHunter

Won't modding turn Squad into an ArmA3 nightmare?

I just don't like the idea of being forced to download a bunch of COD style garbage I don't want or need just to be able to play on the servers. Error Message 3412: We're sorry, you must first download the Monster Energy Humvee Skin in order to join this server (and become one of the "Cool Kids")   Oh well, I'm sure the dev's will come up with a good solution.

I just don't like the idea of being forced to download a bunch of COD style garbage I don't want or need just to be able to play on the servers. Error Message 3412: We're sorry, you must first download the Monster Energy Humvee Skin in order to join this server (and become one of the "Cool Kids")   Oh well, I'm sure the dev's will come up with a good solution.

lol id say there's a bit of hyperbole in your posts.

sure, ArmA has modded servers all over the place, but im not aware of a single mod that requires purchasing, and plenty of them are quality mods.

I bought arma 3 & had nothing but problems but don't ever bring it up because all the arma heads immediately attack you for not liking it lol. Main reason I don't like it is because it's buggy even with a decent system & the interface isn't very user friendly, but one of the servers required you to download an aircraft carrier just to play the mission. After several hours of "fun" acquiring the carrier the mission still wouldn't play & after that every time I'd join a server it would trigger some kind of warning message saying that I had "altered content" like I was a Punk Busted hacker or something lol. At some point if it gets too complicated to find all the propper downloads you need to play & how & where to properly install them, those of us who aren't exactly PC experts & don't have a buddy who is finally just give up. Anyway, long story longer, more trouble than it was worth, beautiful graphics but don't like the way it plays...or doesn't.

I bought arma 3 & had nothing but problems but don't ever bring it up because all the arma heads immediately attack you for not liking it lol. Main reason I don't like it is because it's buggy even with a decent system & the interface isn't very user friendly, but one of the servers required you to download an aircraft carrier just to play the mission. After several hours of "fun" acquiring the carrier the mission still wouldn't play & after that every time I'd join a server it would trigger some kind of warning message saying that I had "altered content" like I was a Punk Busted hacker or something lol. At some point if it gets too complicated to find all the propper downloads you need to play & how & where to properly install them, those of us who aren't exactly PC experts & don't have a buddy who is finally just give up. Anyway, long story longer, more trouble than it was worth, beautiful graphics but don't like the way it plays...or doesn't.

And THIS, is the reason why myself and many others that I know have turned from Arma and look to Squad....unless...Squad turns into the same mess that Arma has become. But I doubt it will ;).

With arma there are too many choices and the average gamer isnt going to have the attention span to research what each of the differences were from server to server and pick the one they like most.

You said "attention span" but the proper phrase would have been "patience".

But it will be interesting to see how the developers actually handle the insertion of mods into the game , if they even do.PR doesn't AFAIK other than a few client side enhancements.

dont get me wrong, i love and hate arma at the same time.

i would even go as far to say that if arma wasn't buggy and had actually respectable A.I. and an improved UI system -- all in the base game -- i probably would've never made my way to PR, and then Squad.

We're thinking carefully about how we want to approach the modding question, because we do realize there is a lot of importance in having a unified experience when you play.

That said, modding adds quite a bit both in having a unique experience when you want it, and also as a source of new content to potentially make it's way back into the game.

I think the bottom line here is that the game won't turn into the environment you see in Arma because we will design things to work differently from the start, with a strong unified experience at the core of the game which players are encouraged to play. This is one of the important things that always separated PR from Arma.

I am not really to concerned about mods dividing the community. If Red Orchestra 2 can automate the downloading of mods below a certain size from the server, I'm sure it'd be possible for SQUAD to do similar? Between that and steam workshop I'm not seeing much problem with community forking.

Modding is one of the best ways of keeping a gaming community engaged, alive and vibrant over the course of a very extended game lifetime. For that reason I'm basically hoping for as many mods as possible. From what I've heard UE4 is infinitely easier to mod than the Arma engine, so hopefully SQUAD might attract some of those modding teams over. 

I really like the way Space Engineers did it - if you connect to a server running mods, you automatically download them from the (ugh) steam workshop/server.

More or less like Counter Strike, but it just seem to work better.

I do however know that for a game like Squad it probably won't be as easy since most mods would take up a lot of space.

But on the hand, if you just allow the mod files to actually be stored on the PC permanently afterwards and not deleted when you disconnect from the server, it will be a one time download (unless it's updated).

Would make it easier to play on the same modded servers over and over, while still maintaining the option to play on vanilla server, or servers running other mods.

What I worry about is mods that affect critical game mechanical features, such as spawning times for players and assets, supply and construction requirements, and so on.

Vanilla Arma is terrible without mods, the game was literally designed for mods to finish it and make it more complete.

Squad will be complete and offer a very fulfilling experience without mods.

But saying that there should be some mod capability's because if you take a quick look at bf2 and the comp scene it had,it was very good then they changed engines to the frostbite,and said they couldn't do mods because they didn't own the engine or all of its parts....

Bf3 had a small comp scene and failed hard,then bf4 come out and they wanted you to buy a comp version of the very game again.....

It never got any where...

Can you imagine a 25v25 clan match with casters and streaming it out............

I can so please make this happen,even 10v10 where maps could be altered to suit small format...

Ask any bf2 guys what the comp scene was like i think they had worlds and 50k was first prize...

But saying that there should be some mod capability's because if you take a quick look at bf2 and the comp scene it had,it was very good then they changed engines to the frostbite,and said they couldn't do mods because they didn't own the engine or all of its parts....

Bf3 had a small comp scene and failed hard,then bf4 come out and they wanted you to buy a comp version of the very game again.....

It never got any where...

Can you imagine a 25v25 clan match with casters and streaming it out............

I can so please make this happen,even 10v10 where maps could be altered to suit small format...

Ask any bf2 guys what the comp scene was like i think they had worlds and 50k was first prize...

I should've clarified: I said all that to make the point that mods will not be as popular or necessary in Squad because of the "core experience" that Merlin referred to above.

IMO the best thing about Arma is the mods. The game wouldn't be worth playing just vanilla. I hear what the op is saying but since workshop now keeps your mods updated and manages, your mod set it's pretty easy.

I just wanted to chip in that i'm also concerned that uncontrolled modding will fragment the community resulting in plenty of half filled servers scattered around the globe. I'd be happy if certain quality tested mods became part of the 'core' game and were included on official servers.

Also with regards to Steam workshop - i both love it and hate it. I love it keeps you updated, but sorting through 100s of pages of unsorted mods is a pain in the ass. And its' so slow too. Good sorting and categorization of mods is key. Workshop for some games is like one giant trash dump with a few useful mods.

If I'm honest, Arma is a "modding nightmare" because the was lacking in almost all aspects, mods just bought the game to an interesting or acceptable level, in short it seemed to lack real pride.

Squad does not suffer from this affliction currently and I dont think it will at all.

When you (the community) speak of mods for this game, what type of mods do you think/wish we (the community) will be able to make?

My hope is only new factions with the content realistic for that faction, and different time period minimods.

To get these mods ingame they should be accepted by the original dev team, and incorpoorated in the game.

Guys, Garry's Mod fixed this problem years ago. Just have a SVN server or some other delta patching server running on the server on another port. That way the mods can be hosted on the gameserver itself and users just need to download the mods from the server they want to play on. No more using 3rd party tools or websites or unzip'ing and drag n' drop. Just plug and play and it works!

No matter how it gets worked out I truly hope that a WW2 mod is forthcoming!! 

Move your mouse over to that "Like This" button if you agree!! :lol:

Not having the ability to create mods shuts down the potential for gaming creativity that can add to the fun of the game. As with all creativity, there is a necessary cycle of iterations, until one sticks and opens a whole new aspect to something familiar. Mod on people ! Mod On !

WW2 pft Star Wars is where it's at, you can't seriously think Dice will out do a mod? come on PR is still far ahead of BF4, even though I like both for what they are, mods have love put into them.

No offence squad masters  :wacko:  I'm outta here  :ph34r:

What is this Star Wars thing you speak of??  Dice still makes a games and not just more of the same old same old??  LOL

Dont make me put in the "Unlike This" Button Dale! :D

I'm working on assets that I would gladly contribute to such a project. Currently working on high polys for the Thompson and Garand. :)

By Arma3 mod nightmare, did the OP mean THIS? The fevered horror of some kind of madman.  :D

As for WW2 mod. I think there'd be plenty of people who'd play that. Like me.