BeerHunter

Won't modding turn Squad into an ArmA3 nightmare?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong , but one of the most frustrating things about playing ArmA3 online are all the various mods required to join different  servers.

If players are allowed to create mods for Squad , won't it make it difficult to find a server to play on without having to download and install all the various mods required to join that server?

Dale   

You do not have to download mods if you don't want to mate, it's not forced, I do think however Squad should make the difference compared to Arma 3 and physically separate the server browsers for modded servers and original servers, and this should be done from the menu, not by a filter.

If Squad does the same as Arma 3 and has workshop based mod's this will help further the system.

One of the biggest factors which helps Arma as a series stay on top is the modding factor, people can diverge to their own idea of what Squad should be, sure this doesn't help if they bring out a sequel but it does substantially increase its life.

I know its a long way to go, but hopefully you do really seperate the servers that use Mods. Arma may be on top, but only because the most people like to play non arma games with the arma engine like altis life or whatever. 

SheepROR   

Maybe I'm reading it wrong , but one of the most frustrating things about playing ArmA3 online are all the various mods required to join different servers.

If players are allowed to create mods for Squad , won't it make it difficult to find a server to play on without having to download and install all the various mods required to join that server?

Bro, the mods will be there probably soon , but , what is the problem ? Mods isnt hard to install and servers will show all of the mods who you need to join , so, you just need to download and install from some secure site

So u dont need to be afraid , and you have this space to ask all of your questions, and hope to see u fighting happy on battlefield soon

PR was a Mod for BF:2 and that turnout for the good.We just have to wait and see how it all comes down.With so many talented people about,me thinks Squad is going to be around for a long,long time (fingers&toes crossed).

I think that if squad is to have any type of mods be that community or in house made mods it should be mandatory updates. It would keep the community together unlike arma 3 were people can go out download whatever mod and run a server with it, it splits the community up.

I hope that there isnt thousands of mods and hundreds of servers running different mods to each other cause this is whats creates heaps of unfilled servers and such.

The only type of mods i would like to see released for squad is just factions / maps / vehicles / weapons.

-------------------

As for time periods and such i could personally go afew years without, just look at what squad is and has done so far. With more factions / maps the game will continue to fill new without the need of different time zones such as Vietnam and WW2. If they were to happen i would like to see much much later after the full release of the game but as mandatory updates, not something that someone has to decide to get or not.

LugNut   

and this should be done from the menu, not by a filter.

I also find ARMA's modding system both awesome and a mess. Awesome that there are so many extensive ones, a mess in having to navigate the puzzle involved in DLing and installing them. I miss the old mod days of click on a server and auto DL and install.

I personally hope for many mods, but I'd much rather have a robust way to filter the server list than have them segregated by default. Why? Because out of sight = out of mind. All you have to do is look at how RO2 failed to see that having two server lists makes it very, very difficult for a mod to gain visibility and players. Most people will never look past the list of stock servers and be tempted to check out a mod that sounds interesting. If the default is to list all servers with an obvious filter to list mod only/stock only, that would be the best.

-Steve-   

Im thinking back to Call of Duty World at War........There were more mods than you could shake a stick at back then.  Out of all those mods only a handful were actually any good and adopted throughout the communities.  Most died a quiet death and were never heard of again. 

I welcome future mods and since we are still really in the infancy of this game it really is premature to do more than speculate.  I like speculate because every once in awhile a great idea comes from that process.  Just like I trust a good beer to please me I trust the devs here to please us with a workable approach to mods.  

Melbo   

The Arma series has always been about community modding. It makes the game what it is. It's part of the reason it (used to be) so easy to be a horrendous "script kiddy". Arma is and always will be my go to game and that is pretty much solely down to user created content. I know many people are put off from using mods as they believe it to be quite confusing but once you sit down for 2 minutes and do some research it's simple. Having said that...

I was hoping that with Arma 3, BI would have done similar to RO2 and allowed clients to connect to a separate repository for the server and it automatically downloads the needed mods/mutators but currently like Dale pointed out we are stuck with a pretty sub par Steam Workshop. There are some amazing mods out there not getting the attention they deserve purely because people won't/don't know how to download and have become accustomed to having to use launchers created for each individual mod.

Tripwire Interactive had two mapping contests which the winning maps ended up included in the base game for free (not mentioning providing $30,000 in cash prizes to the mappers). This is 100% the way I would like to see Squad go. The mapper who made RSTE-OtoriShima which was one of the winners is on this very forum. Wolverine, take a bow sir. 

The only thing I don't wish to see make it's way to Squad is allowing modders to be able to completely change the dynamics of the game. (I'm going to keep my rant short about some of the more "casual" Arma missions) Allowing icons over the heads of friendlies, adding things like a silly perk/money system, 3rd person camera etc (don't even mention a zombie/wasteland survival/Life modes).

New factions, weapons and maps? Sure! Gets my vote. Just as long as there is a system that will automatically download the needed mods for the client.

Early days as yet!

Nesta   

Pshhht, who plays ArmA 2 or 3 without mods, anyway? I never had the problem with joining different servers, I was always part of a realism unit that had their own servers for operations and what not, so you always got in if you had the modpack. I can see how that would be annoying to pubbers who just wanted a quick match. 

Peeta   

Vanilla Arma is terrible without mods, the game was literally designed for mods to finish it and make it more complete.

Squad will be complete and offer a very fulfilling experience without mods.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong , but one of the most frustrating things about playing ArmA3 online are all the various mods required to join different  servers.

Just have servers download the maps from the workshop as you join.

IRONXBAY   

It has yet to be seen how mods are even going to work with Squad in terms of their implementation, let's not jump to any conclusions.

If all the player created dlc is mandatory, wont you have to have a separate hd just to store all the additional mods, maps, terrains, factions, structures, vehicles, weapons, skins etc,etc, etc...?

Hfett   

Unreal Engine Games usualy have a feature that allows you to download the mods as you join the server, and also filters that allow you to chose from modded games to regular games. So i do not think it will be a bad thing, actualy, i think it will be a feature that many current generation games are ignoring, wich is mod tools and mod suport.

Why do we play Bf2:PR till today? Cause it had mod tools.

If Bf4 had mod tools, we would probably be playing a reality mod for Bf4. Same happened with the cod games, no mod tools. 

Besides Arma, wich good modern shooters are comming out with modding allowed?

That is what i think that is going to make Squad "the game" for like 10 years just like Bf2 did.  Of course there will be crap mods, and casual gameplay mods, but we dont need to play those.  But i know i would play a Zombie mod if someone makes ;)

Also there could be mods supported by the Dev's, like new factions and maps, as long as they are well done.

I'm not worried about it.  We'll be on steam, and we can leverage the Steam Workshop to automatically download certain mods.  The user-side of modding is something I'll want to focus on, and making it easy for players to use mods is something that is very important to me.  

The biggest thing, though, is that we don't have a concrete plan for what the user-side or the modder-side of modding is going to actually look like.  We have a bunch of ideas to combat the fracturing of the community that modding can bring, but on the other hand we want modders to flourish and succeed when modding our game.  It's a very interesting topic with a bunch of ideas and examples of how it can be done and how it shouldn't be done.  I do read every topic and hear every concern related to modding, as it's something I'm very interested in.  

kotton   

Bf1942 and BF2 werent affected by the modding community because EA had official servers running the base game which most people played on.  I hate giving EA credit for anything but that was a good idea that seemed to work pretty well. 

Idartd   

As Kotton said, was excactly what I wanted to post. The way BF did it felt so perfect to me, you had the basic game servers, and when you downloaded a mod you clicked a simple button and all the servers running that mod showed up and removed any servers not. It felt so simple and well thought through

kotton   

As Kotton said, was excactly what I wanted to post. The way BF did it felt so perfect to me, you had the basic game servers, and when you downloaded a mod you clicked a simple button and all the servers running that mod showed up and removed any servers not. It felt so simple and well thought through

Thanks, not only was it easy to switch between regular and modded servers in the browser but the fact that there were official servers with the vanilla game meant the casuals could just run the game and easily hop on a server and know what to expect.  With arma there are too many choices and the average gamer isnt going to have the attention span to research what each of the differences were from server to server and pick the one they like most.   They are just going to hop on whatever populated server they see with a good ping, and then have a bad experience because the admins have different rules and settings and the casual gets blasted and called a noob when he/she cant figure out whats going on.  Also official squad run servers would keep the game from going full BF hardline, in which every server has some lame setting killing the game ala hotwire no kill boosting servers.  I know there wont be a need to boost anything in squad, but you never know if lame settings will become popular or not. 

IRONXBAY   

With arma there are too many choices and the average gamer isnt going to have the attention span to research what each of the differences were from server to server and pick the one they like most.  

Arma certainly could do a lot of things better; having a better server list organization would be one of the many things.

I like modding, being able to do skins, sounds, and such... Like insurgency. But having multiple mods that have to be downloaded to play on a particular server DOES separate the community and is one of the reasons I am not as fond of Arma anymore. It would be great if 90% of the community was in unison, playing on similar servers, similar game modes, but each of us with are own unique sound, skin, effects, and visual mods that won't infringe upon gameplay. In my experience, that is the type of modding that really keeps a community together and causes it to thrive... much like how the insurgency and counterstrike series have done. Steam Workshop is a GREAT tool for this BTW. 

Myrothas   

Ya, not being able to play on certain servers just because I haven't purchased/downloaded the neon pink ak camo skin would be pretty lame

mods are 99% free and you dont have to play on servers, where u have to pay to join. 

but maaaybe, the mod is sooo well done, that u have to pay for it, wheres then the problem?

u do not need to buy it. the steam mods are free.