Atlan

I'm giving up on this game.

Squad has its flaws. Although its not a major issue, the concept and development of the game is just to my liking. I'm a competitive player, and grasp various games quick, and become very good at them in a short amount of time. I' have tried countless servers, to play competitive. I have both tried the normal servers that don't require high end, but people are just really bad at the game.

I have tried high end servers, high end gameplay, where the admins enforce high end, but don't really enforce it, and let bad players ruin it. The major issue is squad leads that have no idea.

I'm no wizard, and I am no military guy, but when helicopters were added to the game, my mind was set on helicopters being used for frontal/quick attacks, /Quick habs behind enemy lines. This is the correct way to use them, but when you have squadleads with more than 3000+ hours, that use helicopters to build defence, and useless tow guns, and the admins say they enforce high end play, but do nothing I find it highly embarrassing to waste my time, and competitive spirit. 

And they let logi trucks do the frontal assaults, and habs behind enemy lines, that's not high end play. I think the major issue with players thinking they're good in this game is that they're good at shooting people, good at getting kills. And therefore to them they're the best players. Quite often that is their argument, but they lack logic, sense, and tactical approaches. 

As with many other games, its not the games that are bad, its the people that make the game bad. 

If anyone knows of a real competitive server, that have multiple people actually advancing with tactics, great tactics, who communicate, are ready, and speedy, giving up to date info, planning together, then tell me.

Because as of this point, I can't the stupidity, and ignorance of the playerbase ruined this beautiful game for me.

I totally understand you and can even relate to what you are saying.Most of the time i was in game i was switching servers because of this things and i saw it in my mind as a waste of my time to play on some servers where team switching to the wining side was ok so ok that the loosing side could not get out from the main base couple of games in a row.

However since i got into a clan,a team or however you want to call it it got a lot better for me its a lot more fun a lot more interesting when you have guys from your team that actually want to play and want to win not just mess around and stuff.

If you are not in one i would suggest you to get into one maybe.

6 hours ago, Atlan said:

I have tried high end servers, high end gameplay, where the admins enforce high end, but don't really enforce it, and let bad players ruin it. The major issue is squad leads that have no idea.

giphy.gif

What is a "high-end" server and how would one enforce high end gameplay?

Edited by oTec

Join a clan dude it way better!! Just playing public servers when you’re in a clan is way better, then you’ve got the clan v clan matches a comps 

Yup, you may wanna join a clan, do some squadops.gg events if you are in their timezone, and last but not least try out different servers. Daytime and servers make a huge difference. Also eventually even without joining a clan you gonna get to know a few people and know who is a good squad leader, or at least a squad leader that shares your view of tactics. 

Beside that, even on a "this will go awfully wrong" server if you are playing as squad lead yourself you can influence a lot how you enjoy the game. Play predictive, lead by example, fall back to caps if you know a flag is lost and there is no chance for a double neutral. Communicate and help other squad leaders, and even if you don't have a chance to win the game you can usually enjoy the tons of micro stories and battle encouters every Squad game has to offer.

Last but not least please don't be the kind of squad mate that doesn't want to lead but knows everything better. This totally ruins immersion for the whole squad.

40 minutes ago, oTec said:

What is a "high-end" server and how would one enforce high end gameplay?

Well, that's are Servers where all player plays the most efficient way possible without wasting time at all.

Most commonly found in top tier tournament matches, but to be honest these games are all but fun.

You can see by mainly comparing the weight of the 2 most crucial factors to win matches.

Communication and Skill are the key components here and skill just outweigh communication by a long shot.

Any team with good skilled players and lack of communication will outplay any opponent with less skilled player even if they have superior communication.

This is my biggest critic of the game including public-and competitive play because that playstyle already got repetitive, stale and kind of bored (crushing others isn't fun and getting crushed isn't fun as well and close matches are pretty uncommon) but necessary if you want to be efficient.

25 minutes ago, Pharanaiton said:

Glad to see some arrogant players leave the game to be honest.

That's just rude. All I can see is a very enthusiastic person who wishes that more people in this game have situational awareness and communicate with their team.

Quote Atlan

"If anyone knows of a real competitive server, that have multiple people actually advancing with tactics, great tactics, who communicate, are ready, and speedy, giving up to date info, planning together, then tell me."

The Purple* one is the biggest flaw in the current gameplay design, it leads way too often into unenjoyable rounds/matches.

* Insert Rush B meme

4 hours ago, Phoenixstorm said:

That's just rude.

True...

Hopefully the commander role brings a little coherence between squads. squad 1 waiting for squad 2 to be in position kinda stuff.

8 hours ago, Pharanaiton said:

Glad to see some arrogant players leave the game to be honest.

What a retarded comment

Yeah that comment about arrogance was a bit uncalled for, buddy.

Confidence is not arrogance.  I hope this guy finds a clan that can reinvigorate his love of the game!

On 11/6/2019 at 8:05 AM, [email protected] said:

Totally agree. I'm calling it, the buddy rally has officially ruined this game and has morphed it into COD.

Facts. 

Still waiting for a cogent explanation as to how a persistence mechanic, as unrealistic as it is, turns this game into a brain-dead run-and-gun title that plays host to some of the most toxic communities on the planet.

16 hours ago, Bachelor_Chow said:

Still waiting for a cogent explanation as to how a persistence mechanic, as unrealistic as it is, turns this game into a brain-dead run-and-gun title that plays host to some of the most toxic communities on the planet.

+1

On 14.11.2019 at 3:04 AM, Bachelor_Chow said:

Well, while some players are truly in it and picked up this game for the tactical, deadly realism that were promised, the majority are sadly call of duty, counter strike players, who rush out, and think they're the best because they can shoot ten people. 

While I will agree to some extend with one of the comments made about skill, beating tactics, and good communication. I have rarely but seen people actually come together with me and other squadleads giving up their pride to make the best comebacks because we were not capable of taking the other team head on, purely by tactics we destroyed the enemy team and communication - Stealing habs behind enemy lines, sneaky habs, and pushing together from different directions, any serious team with great communication and tactical approach will beat people who have the superior aim, and skill (Shooting others)

But its rarely seen becase the majority are COD, counter strike players, and when they set the standard for how gameplay is supposed to be played in games, those who signed up for tactical, deadly realism give up those aspects, but keep their pride intact thinking they're good for getting a thousand kills and losing a match because the other team had more brute force, or a hab placed slightly more tactical, but without any thought behind it. 

I see so many matches where I give up halfway into the game because nobody wants to listen to one thing that could save the game, just one action that they don't wanna swallow their pride for, it saddens me.

As for other comments now that I am at it, I don't see many clans that looks attractive, I have been in one where they were not following owi rules, and kept harrasing, and being stupid towards other people, and other clans that just didn't want to play the game as it was meant to be played, but did what is written above, and never participated in any clan games, or other things.

As for most of the clans that I have visited on servers, they don't seem to want to enforce high end gameplay, so I can only hope for clan matches once in a while, and 90% of the time be fed up with how nobody wants to listen or do things that win games on the clan server ,because the clan don't enforce good gameplay.

I don't know, show me a clan that actually gives us what we want, those who truly signed up for what this game stood for, and were created for, tactical realism, and the deadly realism. 

I now see how this is becoming more of a battlefield, or call of duty game, those are not games where any tactic is placed, its just brute force upon more brute force and respawn, upon respawn until one side loses 4 more people than the other team and losses the brute force they had, and then they camp the spawn.

But sadly it isnt owi doing it, its the players feedback, and how they set the standards for how the game is played. I have realised that now.

Edited by Atlan

3 hours ago, Atlan said:

I now see how this is becoming more of a battlefield, or call of duty game, those are not games where any tactic is placed, its just brute force upon more brute force and respawn, upon respawn until one side loses 4 more people than the other team and losses the brute force they had, and then they camp the spawn.

But sadly it isnt owi doing it, its the players feedback, and how they set the standards for how the game is played. I have realised that now.

Well. Now it might be player´s feedback. But when v13 came out and that first survey, OWI was respinsible because they tailored the interpretation on the negative results on -BUDDY RALLY. 4 surveys later, the mechanic didn´t get a single survey in which it came on top. Still, there it is. Accelerating gameplay, lowering the value of life in SQUAD, rendering real tactics pointless.

By now it´s obvious. The accelerated gameplay, tempting COD/BF players, more casual players to buy the game and stick to it, tu Increase the volumen of players. Making it less painful, most forgiving made it more attractive to the casual player and the general audience, but alienated many of us. To some people this hybrid is working, to some, it just isn´t. 

Bottomline, it´s NOT just players´feedback. OWI is also responsable. But hey, they are making money, good for them. Don´t take me wrong, it´s a GREAT videogame. It truly. It´s just not the videogame I want to see, it´s not the videogame I was promised.

Exactly what Nightingale87 said. It is OWI that is doing this, they are the ones making the game and are making it possible for the players to play in the way that they can right now due to the changes they've made. A lot of the issues people have complained about could be resolved simply by the community playing differently, but why would they when the developers themselves don't insensitive that style of play and instead making other ways far more appealing.

So i wholeheartedly disagree that it's the players set the standard, they just play with what is provided to them and it's OWI that is providing that for them.

10 hours ago, Nightingale87 said:

Well. Now it might be player´s feedback. But when v13 came out and that first survey, OWI was respinsible because they tailored the interpretation on the negative results on -BUDDY RALLY. 4 surveys later, the mechanic didn´t get a single survey in which it came on top. Still, there it is. Accelerating gameplay, lowering the value of life in SQUAD, rendering real tactics pointless.

By now it´s obvious. The accelerated gameplay, tempting COD/BF players, more casual players to buy the game and stick to it, tu Increase the volumen of players. Making it less painful, most forgiving made it more attractive to the casual player and the general audience, but alienated many of us. To some people this hybrid is working, to some, it just isn´t. 

Bottomline, it´s NOT just players´feedback. OWI is also responsable. But hey, they are making money, good for them. Don´t take me wrong, it´s a GREAT videogame. It truly. It´s just not the videogame I want to see, it´s not the videogame I was promised.

It's quite obvious at this point that making a completely realistic PvP military themed fps isn't a viable or sustainable profit model. That said, maybe you and all the other PR founders can purchase the Offworld Core like the Post Scriptum folks did and then make your PR2 clone from scratch. Squad isn't even finished yet but they're already cashing in on that sweet sweet Epic Games cash so soon you can probably even get it there.

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/profile/Offworld+Industries

Squad tactics have always had issues in this game. Squad designers used to at least pay lip service to things like "Squad Cohesion" but all along they've been repeatedly nerfing Squad spawns and buffing Team spawns which has only made these issues worse.

I don't like to see this attitude of treating the community as the cause of these issues rather than the product of them. It's unfortunately common. This sort of elitism is counter-productive because it excuses bad design and scapegoats the community for the lack of tactical and strategical gameplay. There's a reason why Squad Competitive and PR purism have always been polar opposites of each other - true PR heads know know you shouldn't have to isolate yourself from 98% the community to get any squad tactics going.

@fuzzheadsaid there are buddy rally and pacing changes are coming in the next patch so hopefully that will help.

BTW, PR was never a realistic milsim, despite the name. PR devs sacrificed realism for mechanics that promoted team cohesion and cooperation all the time.

Edited by fatalsushi

2 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

@fuzzheadsaid there are buddy rally and pacing changes are coming in the next patch so hopefully that will help.

BTW, PR was never a realistic milsim, despite the name. PR devs sacrificed realism for mechanics that promoted team cohesion and cooperation all the time.

There's two changes in v17(Beta 1) that I came across
- Single man Squads can no longer utilize the BR system. You need at least 2 people(SL + 1 other) for your Squad to have the ability to utilize the BR system.
- You can no longer freely and instantaneously bunny hop from rally point to rally point using the BR system, as a 150 second cool down is present after your first BR use.

8 hours ago, Dubs said:

There's two changes in v17(Beta 1) that I came across
- Single man Squads can no longer utilize the BR system. You need at least 2 people(SL + 1 other) for your Squad to have the ability to utilize the BR system.
- You can no longer freely and instantaneously bunny hop from rally point to rally point using the BR system, as a 150 second cool down is present after your first BR use.

This does absolutely nothing to remedy the actual cheese which is the strategic placement of rally point deep behind enemy lines on the next flag by only a two person squad.

Nerf one or the other. Get rid of buddy rally entirely or make it so you need considerably more people in your squad before you can even place a rally point.