Chinchilla

A better armor and Gear system

One of the biggest issues I have with the game is how restricted you are to your gear. Instead of bringing a rifle with a scope you like, you are forced to play with a different one (depending on your class). Or instead of bringing 3 smokes grenades you are limited to 1-2.

So, why not have a weight - or something like it - where you can pick one item over the other. For example, you can trade 1 grenade to the weight of 2x smokes grenades. Or an SKS for an extra RPG grenade or 2 (depending on type). So instead of a rifle you downgrade to a pistol with more RPG's - so there balance. Every item in your inventory would contribute to your weight, like extra mags for your rifle which can be replaced with extra smokes/grenades/bandages... w/e.

Another idea is add an armor system. Quick example: Heavy, Med, Light, No Armor. This system would be pretty basic and straight forward where your armor will absorb some or all damage based on the caliber of the weapon you are hit. Heavier armor would slow you down, and would also tie in with the above mentioned weight system. The light armor or no armor would run you the risk of getting 1-shot to the chest.

This is just a basic concept I had in mind. And i don't want to go in to more details. But I am curious if these ideas have been mentioned before and/or what do people think about them?

Edited by Chinchilla

an Encumbrance system has been mentioned a few times. with it would come, i assume, granular loadout selection (not just re-arm). would be a great idea and fit better with the more-serious-game ideal of Squad but they'll probably never do it now.

Yeah, I'd like more control on loadout.  There are some things in the kits that I NEVER use.  I'd like to allocate more weight / storage to things I actually WILL use....lol

This actually seems like a good idea. I still like the system how it is now that forces players into a particular role.

However, this wouldn't be a bad idea as players will at least get some semblance of control. 

Although, you shouldn't be able to remove your role.

I.E - Anti Tank player, who ditches his LAT so he can take more grenades and ammo. Imagine being that SL who can't take out that limping 30mm BTR because your LAT wanted to rush an enemy HAB with 3 grenades.

I prefer just the option to take a scope on and of. now the kit forces you to make a choice between cqb or longer ranges.

But if you have a indebt kit selection option, there's gonna be an unbelievable amount of idiots who have no clue on what basis to pick certain items.

And having a HAT or LAT would not garantee for a squad leader to rely on  taking out armor, cause your LAT, HAT might have brought only shrapnel rockets with him. So this is mainly a problem for public servers.

I wouldnt mind this system, but i think it straves to far away from the arcade way squad wants to do things.

19 hours ago, Pharanaiton said:

I prefer just the option to take a scope on and of. now the kit forces you to make a choice between cqb or longer ranges.

But if you have a indebt kit selection option, there's gonna be an unbelievable amount of idiots who have no clue on what basis to pick certain items.

And having a HAT or LAT would not garantee for a squad leader to rely on  taking out armor, cause your LAT, HAT might have brought only shrapnel rockets with him. So this is mainly a problem for public servers.

I wouldnt mind this system, but i think it straves to far away from the arcade way squad wants to do things.

It still amazes me to this day that people think, line infantry units get to customise and change their weapons around. Shit doesn't happen in the British Army. What you get issued, is what you get issued. I'd rather have an ACOG over a Light weight day sight, but I get the latter.

This fantasy of soldiers fully customising their weapons, with barrels, flash hiders, sights and paint jobs is just that. A fantasy.

(From a serving Brit.)