Chinchilla

A better armor and Gear system

One of the biggest issues I have with the game is how restricted you are to your gear. Instead of bringing a rifle with a scope you like, you are forced to play with a different one (depending on your class). Or instead of bringing 3 smokes grenades you are limited to 1-2.

So, why not have a weight - or something like it - where you can pick one item over the other. For example, you can trade 1 grenade to the weight of 2x smokes grenades. Or an SKS for an extra RPG grenade or 2 (depending on type). So instead of a rifle you downgrade to a pistol with more RPG's - so there balance. Every item in your inventory would contribute to your weight, like extra mags for your rifle which can be replaced with extra smokes/grenades/bandages... w/e.

Another idea is add an armor system. Quick example: Heavy, Med, Light, No Armor. This system would be pretty basic and straight forward where your armor will absorb some or all damage based on the caliber of the weapon you are hit. Heavier armor would slow you down, and would also tie in with the above mentioned weight system. The light armor or no armor would run you the risk of getting 1-shot to the chest.

This is just a basic concept I had in mind. And i don't want to go in to more details. But I am curious if these ideas have been mentioned before and/or what do people think about them?

Edited by Chinchilla

an Encumbrance system has been mentioned a few times. with it would come, i assume, granular loadout selection (not just re-arm). would be a great idea and fit better with the more-serious-game ideal of Squad but they'll probably never do it now.

Yeah, I'd like more control on loadout.  There are some things in the kits that I NEVER use.  I'd like to allocate more weight / storage to things I actually WILL use....lol

This actually seems like a good idea. I still like the system how it is now that forces players into a particular role.

However, this wouldn't be a bad idea as players will at least get some semblance of control. 

Although, you shouldn't be able to remove your role.

I.E - Anti Tank player, who ditches his LAT so he can take more grenades and ammo. Imagine being that SL who can't take out that limping 30mm BTR because your LAT wanted to rush an enemy HAB with 3 grenades.

I prefer just the option to take a scope on and of. now the kit forces you to make a choice between cqb or longer ranges.

But if you have a indebt kit selection option, there's gonna be an unbelievable amount of idiots who have no clue on what basis to pick certain items.

And having a HAT or LAT would not garantee for a squad leader to rely on  taking out armor, cause your LAT, HAT might have brought only shrapnel rockets with him. So this is mainly a problem for public servers.

I wouldnt mind this system, but i think it straves to far away from the arcade way squad wants to do things.

19 hours ago, Pharanaiton said:

I prefer just the option to take a scope on and of. now the kit forces you to make a choice between cqb or longer ranges.

But if you have a indebt kit selection option, there's gonna be an unbelievable amount of idiots who have no clue on what basis to pick certain items.

And having a HAT or LAT would not garantee for a squad leader to rely on  taking out armor, cause your LAT, HAT might have brought only shrapnel rockets with him. So this is mainly a problem for public servers.

I wouldnt mind this system, but i think it straves to far away from the arcade way squad wants to do things.

It still amazes me to this day that people think, line infantry units get to customise and change their weapons around. Shit doesn't happen in the British Army. What you get issued, is what you get issued. I'd rather have an ACOG over a Light weight day sight, but I get the latter.

This fantasy of soldiers fully customising their weapons, with barrels, flash hiders, sights and paint jobs is just that. A fantasy.

(From a serving Brit.)

23 hours ago, Wonka said:

It still amazes me to this day that people think, line infantry units get to customise and change their weapons around. Shit doesn't happen in the British Army. What you get issued, is what you get issued. I'd rather have an ACOG over a Light weight day sight, but I get the latter.

This fantasy of soldiers fully customising their weapons, with barrels, flash hiders, sights and paint jobs is just that. A fantasy.

(From a serving Brit.)

This. People have been spoiled by other games. The game isn't about your kit. Its about working with your squad. You are supposed to do the best you can with what you are given. Adding in additional levels of customization makes it much harder on squad leads who make plans relying on the idea that certain members are equipped with certain gear. Certain big examples include things like your RPG gunner dropping his AT rockets for frags because he hasn't seen a vehicle in a few minutes. In smaller cases it could be something like people that never use smoke grenades dropping them for an extra frag. When given the freedom to do so, people will choose what is best for them rather than what is best for their team. As to the weapon sights, its good as is. I understand that people don't like using irons or red dots at longer ranges because they aren't as effective. That is the point. Not everyone should have pinpoint accuracy.

People need to learn to treat the game as a teamwork game rather than just an FPS.

On 12.11.2019 at 9:50 AM, Wonka said:

(From a serving Brit.)

The fantasy of half a unit being sent out into a barren wasteland with 1+ km sightlines equipped with naked sa80's is just that. A fantasy. 

See, two sides of a extreme. Neither of them are realistic nor authentic. Yet we're still stuck with ^this stuff. 

A definite no to kit customization tho. That could result in a massive hussle for Squadleaders (micromanaging 8 diffrent kit's... ehh, no thanks).

Yes, the restrictions are a pain, who is to say a rifleman can't carry a rocket, or more ammo for the boys. 

This is a great idea, id rather have 2x smokes than 1 grenade that I barely use, or a pistol but with the ability to actually kill an armoured vehicle and not just tickle it, 

On 11/11/2019 at 1:39 PM, Pharanaiton said:

Secondary sight is available in PR to solve the problem, I don't know what it takes to implement it to SQUAD...

My God, i already hate it when i want a simple baguette from subway and they give me a gazillion options. Man, just give me the one on the picture. :D

Snowflakery is the biggest flaw of today's generations. "I want my rifle with a unicorn sticker, i am special"

In short : I don't agree. If any, i would prefer an option for the SL to override kit choices, if there is the need. 

2 hours ago, Kriechbaum said:

Snowflakery is the biggest flaw of today's generations. "I want my rifle with a unicorn sticker, i am special"

loving this line ;)

On 11/20/2019 at 12:57 PM, Kriechbaum said:

n short : I don't agree. If any, i would prefer an option for the SL to override kit choices, if there is the need. 

I don’t think forcing kits on people is a good idea, taking away a kit maybe, but a big maybe

On 11/13/2019 at 3:37 AM, Geebus said:

Adding in additional levels of customization makes it much harder on squad leads who make plans relying on the idea that certain members are equipped with certain gear.

+1

As a frequent squad leader I cannot stress this enough. Imagine trying to cross an open area to an objective, only to realize that nobody brought smoke grenades. Don't take away a squad leader's options. I think kit customization is very close to perfect in the current build.

On 11/13/2019 at 3:37 AM, Geebus said:

The game isn't about your kit. Its about working with your squad.

@Geebus You nailed my thoughts exactly. The entire core of Squad is to communicate as a team to come together with the resources you have to win.

2 hours ago, Thegreenzzz said:

I don’t think forcing kits on people is a good idea, taking away a kit maybe, but a big maybe

I agree. Squad leaders already have the option to kick a squad member if they don't follow their instructions. Seems like a useless function when we already have the ability to ask nicely.

On 11/20/2019 at 12:57 PM, Kriechbaum said:

In short : I don't agree. If any, i would prefer an option for the SL to override kit choices, if there is the need. 

4 hours ago, Thegreenzzz said:

2 hours ago, Dufflespud said:

I agree. Squad leaders already have the option to kick a squad member if they don't follow their instructions. Seems like a useless function when we already have the ability to ask nicely.

I take the middle ground on this. While I don't want to be forced into a role by the squad lead, I do wish there was a way to lock certain roles.

I hate having to ask people to switch off of the marksman kit. Most of the time it goes like this; I start a squad > guy joins and instantly grabs the kit > I ask him to grab medic or AT > usually he switches with no trouble > I begin to coordinate with squad leads > another guy joins and grabs marksman > I don't notice until we are leaving base and by that point it can't be changed.

I've always hated the marksman and combat engineer kits because these people think it is their duty to run off and snipe or plant mines, all taking place far from the squad. Because of this I always either have to micromanage each one of these dudes or just give up and go in one rifle short. Of course this can be to an extent managed by just talking to people but at a point it becomes annoying and a waste of time. At a point you become "that guy" when you keep having to bitch at people for playing sniper.

I am with geebus on that. Kicking people is the last resort option and that doesn't solve the problem when the next guy joins in and goes the same way his predecessor went. 

Marksman - kit can be useful, but i prefer a machine gunner or AT over it most of the time. 

Individualism and the usual egoism that is coming with it, is spreading everywhere in today's world. It doesn't bring people together, it creates a lot of lone warriors. In Squad, being alone means being a useless target. 

Everybody goes fancy rifle, no AT = any armored car annihilates the squad. 

Nobody goes medic = survivability drops to the bottom

Everybody got his own better plan = chicken show

Squad leaders should have more tools to prevent the micromanagenent.

Being able to lock kits, so the available ones fit the squads purpose would be a perfect tool.