Biologik

Problems with Helicopters

Don't get me wrong, I love the new helicopters and what they have added to the game.  Below I am listing some current problems with helicopters that would greatly improve gameplay if fixed:

1. Vehicle claiming on a helicopter is broken.  If a squad leader claims a helicopter then a second squad leader attempts to get in while the first is in the process of entering the vehicle, the second squad leader snatches the claim from the first.  This leads to vehicle claiming wars at the beginning of a round, where multiple squad leaders spam F on a helicopter, attempting to claim and get in the pilot seat before another reclaims.  The screen is spammed with "Vehicle Claimed", "Another Squad has claimed your dropped off vehicle".
  2. No sound effects when helicopter is taking damage from high caliber rounds such as 30mm or 50cal rounds.  If one is not paying attention to the vehicle health bar, the vehicle HP can go from 100% to 0% without any sound effects (ironically, clacking is heard when you get shot at by small arms fire).
  3. Dropping supplies with the radial menu while flying is annoying.  Please allow us to drop and pick up supplies with left and right mouse buttons like in previous versions.
  4. Helicopter response to pitch control is way too high at low/0% collective.  The helicopter gains way too much speed way too quickly even if the collective is nil or very low and you tilt forward or backward.  Response to pitch at low collective needs to be adjusted.
  5. Helicopters should not instantly blow up if hit by a TOW.  Perhaps, instead do heavy damage to the hull, disable the engine, and force pilot to land immediately.
  6. (Not as critical) Perhaps think about doing something about the mid-air pirate ship style battles between helicopters.  Whilst fun, it feels kind of silly.  Maybe find a more direct way to settle the score.  Just an optional suggestion. 
Edited by Biologik

On 03/11/2019 at 10:57 AM, Biologik said:

No sound effects when helicopter is taking damage from high caliber rounds such as 30mm or 50cal rounds.  If one is not paying attention to the vehicle health bar, the vehicle HP can go from 100% to 0% without any sound effects (ironically, clacking is heard when you get shot at by small arms fire).

from what i've seen, and from flying in the tutorial, this might be due to the extreme noise-cancelling inside the craft. this near deadly-silent cockpit makes it really hard to hear anything at all. i know it may very well be realistic but for the sake of QoL maybe they could lower the attenuation level a bit.

Based on the title I thought this thread was going to be all about the new clan meta that cropped up this weekend where as soon as you get the choppers you suicide ram them into the opponent's choppers and then just keep doing it over and over, match after match. I bet nobody anticipated this genius strat. Good times, reminds me exactly what everyone did in Joint Operations.

i give my thumbs up for the mentioned problems.

especially the radial menu kinda is annoying but i would like to add some too:

- exiting a helo while full speed close ground is a tactic you can use with a skilled pilot.

- the transport aspect (of the helo) gets a lot of time compromised by the possibility to just die and respawn on next FOB. Iam right now thinking of something like a squad should only be able to respawn on main base, their Rally (get rid of buddyrally) and "their" FOB. While "their" FOB should be claimed by the SL physically on the Radio. make transport of troops important and stop this teleporting.

right now you only need transport at the start, when you cap a flag and want to push the next objective. or in my wettest dreams when someone wants to flank an enemy attack fob. maybe when you got to pick the squad which fobbed itself up in the middle of nowwhere at the beginning of a RAAS round in hope of getting close to objective if you even can get them to abandon their fob.

- oh and ofc more helicopters on more maps and layouts, even for militia.

Edited by gshAT

On 04/11/2019 at 5:48 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

I bet nobody anticipated this genius strat. Good times, reminds me exactly what everyone did in Joint Operations.

lols, yeah. why'd it take em so long? funny what some miss, ay.

1 hour ago, LaughingJack said:

lols, yeah. why'd it take em so long? funny what some miss, ay.

Yeah, its funny how the more things change the more they remain the same.

Honestly Squad has basically evolved into Joint Operations AAS with side quests.

And nevermind the fact that Joint Operations AAS actually incentivized playing on the flags more than Squad because once you captured the point it then became not only your new spawn point but also your new ammo resupply.

Collective feedback is, in my opinion, a bit broken, when lowering collective the helicopter is responding to the pitch controls in insane manner, almost as if it would be risen collective but with downward force which causes the helicopter to slide like crazy. 

The angles of machine guns in Blackhawk are ridiculously small. 

TOW missle, in my opinion, should incapacitate helicopter rather than destroy it, as well as cannon fire should be forcing the helicopter to land more often than just popping it out from the sky. To tackle this I would say helicopters need bigger zone of being "on fire" so that the pilot can land and fix it if he is skilled, that way with the implementation of damage to engine and rotors it would make it more interesting to use the helicopter and that way the respawn time could be made longer (maybe 10 minutes, maybe 15). 

We also need the possibility of having 100+ people on servers because the number of vehicles depleted the possible infrantry squads to unsustainable levels.

On 11/8/2019 at 8:48 AM, EIMRON said:

Collective feedback is, in my opinion, a bit broken, when lowering collective the helicopter is responding to the pitch controls in insane manner, almost as if it would be risen collective but with downward force which causes the helicopter to slide like crazy. 

The angles of machine guns in Blackhawk are ridiculously small. 

TOW missle, in my opinion, should incapacitate helicopter rather than destroy it, as well as cannon fire should be forcing the helicopter to land more often than just popping it out from the sky. To tackle this I would say helicopters need bigger zone of being "on fire" so that the pilot can land and fix it if he is skilled, that way with the implementation of damage to engine and rotors it would make it more interesting to use the helicopter and that way the respawn time could be made longer (maybe 10 minutes, maybe 15). 

We also need the possibility of having 100+ people on servers because the number of vehicles depleted the possible infrantry squads to unsustainable levels.

agree with most of what you said, even in real life TOW missiles do not necessarily completely destroy a helicopter such as a blackhawk or MI 18.  I think a tow missile hit on a heli should destroy engine and force landing.  A tank round should still kill though in most locations.

I also agree with the 100 player servers and 100% agree with you on the helicopter response to pitch controls when you are at low collective; i just didnt know how to articulate that issue.