Sign in to follow this  
Poita

Back in action after a long break. Very happy.

A few days ago I reinstalled Squad and have been very happy with some differences from the last time I played. 
One difficulty I had was that I never quite felt a true cause and effect when shooting. It's hard to explain but I always felt like I was floating in the game and the results of my aim and shooting were a bit arbitrary; almost as if I was in an RPG and the game was 'deciding' the likelihood that a soldier would hit another soldier and imposing that result on my shooting. 
I don't know what's changed now but I feel the mechanics are so grounded. If I miss, I believe I missed, if I hit I get a sense that I aimed and shot well and physics did the rest. 
In some ways it feels like a whole new game. I guess there has been quite a few updates since I last played ( pre tank build) and the graphics and effects are a whole lot better. 
Totally looking forward to learning the ropes again and getting into the action. 

23 hours ago, Poita said:

A few days ago I reinstalled Squad and have been very happy with some differences from the last time I played. 
One difficulty I had was that I never quite felt a true cause and effect when shooting. It's hard to explain but I always felt like I was floating in the game and the results of my aim and shooting were a bit arbitrary; almost as if I was in an RPG and the game was 'deciding' the likelihood that a soldier would hit another soldier and imposing that result on my shooting. 
I don't know what's changed now but I feel the mechanics are so grounded. If I miss, I believe I missed, if I hit I get a sense that I aimed and shot well and physics did the rest. 
In some ways it feels like a whole new game. I guess there has been quite a few updates since I last played ( pre tank build) and the graphics and effects are a whole lot better. 
Totally looking forward to learning the ropes again and getting into the action. 

This game doesn't even have properly working rangefinder on most optics.
And it has extra gravity modifiers(like 2.8...etc. or higher because apparently that's the copy/paste solution to "floatiness" from unreal engine forums that do not consider physics for bullets and their interaction with optical rangefinders)

Edited by EcchiRevenge

1 hour ago, EcchiRevenge said:

This game doesn't even have properly working rangefinder on most optics.
And it has extra gravity modifiers(like 2.8...etc. or higher because apparently that's the copy/paste solution to "floatiness" from unreal engine forums that do not consider physics for bullets and their interaction with optical rangefinders)

When you post such comments perhaps you can bear in mind that not all of us are going to understand the technical details. I have no idea what 2.8 refers to. 
I just point the crosshair at people and shoot. If the bullet drops short I adjust  :)

1 hour ago, Poita said:

When you post such comments perhaps you can bear in mind that not all of us are going to understand the technical details. I have no idea what 2.8 refers to. 
I just point the crosshair at people and shoot. If the bullet drops short I adjust  :)

normal gravity is 1.

Edited by EcchiRevenge

On 28/10/2019 at 9:57 AM, Poita said:

I just point the crosshair at people and shoot. If the bullet drops short I adjust 

+1

On 28/10/2019 at 8:48 AM, EcchiRevenge said:

And it has extra gravity modifiers(like 2.8...etc. or higher because apparently that's the copy/paste solution to "floatiness"

please explain these bits ;) particularly the last word.

On 10/28/2019 at 7:40 PM, LaughingJack said:

+1

please explain these bits ;) particularly the last word.

Google unreal physics floatiness.

Basically a bunch of people complain about everything feeling floaty so they increased gravity modifer to 2.8...etc. to compensate even though the default gravity isn't wrong(what's wrong is terminal velocity, or [lack of] air resistance, maybe too much linear dampening...etc.).

At least, according to excel file that recorded sdk data, the bullets are using 2.8(or higher in case of 7.62 rounds) instead of 1 gravity modifier.

Basically, for bullet "physics" developers took the easy way out: using heavy gravity modifiers.
I don't know why, maybe they somehow disabled dampening to lower the amount of calculations per bullet?

But all I know for sure is that the ballistics in-game felt wrong, and it's no surprise as we have other threads proving that none of the BDC on optics are working properly(or when it is working, the zoom factor is wrong).

Edited by EcchiRevenge

@EcchiRevenge: ah, i see, that's interesting. cheers!

As long as they can mimic trajectories well by adjusting then i can't see a problem, unless it effects other things in a bad way.

" too much linear dampening " - is that a thing? (i've not looked)

23 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

@EcchiRevenge: ah, i see, that's interesting. cheers!

As long as they can mimic trajectories well by adjusting then i can't see a problem, unless it effects other things in a bad way.

" too much linear dampening " - is that a thing? (i've not looked)

They can.

Doesn't mean they will.

Google unreal linear dampening.