Sign in to follow this  
TomNedry

An error occurred while updating Squad (missing executeable)

FYI, as it costed me "some days" to solve it...

After downloading the last update i got a steam error message:

An error occurred while updating Squad (missing executeable)

with the following link to the steam knowledgebase: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2274-IFLV-5334

I really tried everything in section "Basic steam troubleshooting", but nothing worked. After some days searching the internet and two game deinstall/install/move folder cycles i ... gave up...

You know, "7 days to die" (experimental) got live, so i was "busy" anyway ;-) ... But while playing i recognized that i was used to start "7 days..."  via a desktop link, but Squad via the Steam-client. So i tried to execute the "squad_launcher.exe" in "steamapps\common\Squad" and i got an error message "file not found". But the file was there with a size of 1089KB and the steam "verify files" process said again "all OK".

This time i searched the internet for a problem with "existing executable not found" and stumbled over an EA forum post for "Origin": https://answers.ea.com/t5/EA-General-Questions/Windows-10-cannot-find-Origin/m-p/4887580#M175606

And really in "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options" there were two "entries" for "SquadGame.exe" and "squad_launcher.exe". After deletion of these "keys" Squad was running again...

BTW: I have no glue where these registry came from... a matrix problem i guess ;-)

Edited by TomNedry
minor