Hunam394

How would you guys feel about an advanced stance control like seen in Arma 3?

Link to a video showcasing it. I really think that squad has a lot of moments where I'm struggling to fire over obstacles or through windows due to stance limitations compared to said obstacles/windows height and I think this would make the game so much better. What are your thoughts??

no, no, noo, please no. (another reason people don't play ArmA)

also i think this has been brought up before, quite a long time ago.

i think weapon resting, which has already been looked at iirc, is a much better way to go.

if there is an option to disable "complex stance sys" for those of use who are not into the whole Mil-Sim/RPG thing, then i'd say yes, but not at the expense of other more important things already roadmapped/posited for dev.

I'd love to see it. Too many times have I found myself in a position where crouching is a little too low or prone isn't high enough. Coming from Arma myself, it was one of the few features that worked and didn't seem excessively clunky. Hopefully as the devs continue fleshing out the game, we will see it in some form.

Edited by Geebus

3 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

no, no, noo, please no. (another reason people don't play ArmA)

also i think this has been brought up before, quite a long time ago.

i think weapon resting, which has already been looked at iirc, is a much better way to go.

if there is an option to disable "complex stance sys" for those of use who are not into the whole Mil-Sim/RPG thing, then i'd say yes, but not at the expense of other more important things already roadmapped/posited for dev.

Why don't you like it? As Geebus says, there are many windows and walls in Squad where you need to stand to shoot over them to get a good angle which ends up putting you in a bad spot for how exposed you are. Lots of walls where a hole is just a bit too high or low to crouch and shoot through. Doesn't have to be a milsim game to want to pick how high or low your stance is.

6 hours ago, Rybec said:

Why don't you like it? As Geebus says, there are many windows and walls in Squad where you need to stand to shoot over them to get a good angle which ends up putting you in a bad spot for how exposed you are. Lots of walls where a hole is just a bit too high or low to crouch and shoot through. Doesn't have to be a milsim game to want to pick how high or low your stance is.

Thats not a stance problem it's a map/asset problem. Adjusting them directly would work both ways, you can use them and didnt need to use/implement clunky controls to do so.

I'm not against this. I've run into the same problem a number of times where I couldn't shoot out a window or over a wall because my point of aim was just too high or low. That being said I can understand people feel this is too cumbersome.

On 10/21/2019 at 4:24 AM, Hunam394 said:

Link to a video showcasing it. I really think that squad has a lot of moments where I'm struggling to fire over obstacles or through windows due to stance limitations compared to said obstacles/windows height and I think this would make the game so much better. What are your thoughts??

A ton of effort was put into the animations on v10 and the movement & gunplay is perfect in my opinion. My vote is leave it alone. ARMA3 animations are the obsolete ones not Squad anyway. So what you have all these other body positions etc. but at what expense?

said this many times before ...weapon resting could solve some of this.. but the windows seem to all be placed at a level that is just too high whether kneeling or standing... very odd.

No thanks.

Have you ever played ARMA?  The control layout is terrible.  There are too many actions, your whole keyboard gets used up with stupid keybinds.

i don't like it because of it's unnecissary complexity. i bet you'd actually only use it 10%, at most.

and because ..

4 hours ago, Squad4Life said:

Have you ever played ARMA?  The control layout is terrible.  There are too many actions, your whole keyboard gets used up with stupid keybinds.

On 23/10/2019 at 7:44 AM, embecmom said:

weapon resting could solve some of this.

6 hours ago, Squad4Life said:

No thanks.

Have you? I've got over 2000 hours in the game. There really isn't much more than the typical tactical game in terms of the keybinds. I can agree that some of the controls are a little clunky, but that is the game. If you are worried about extra keybinds, just unbind them, thats a problem on the player's part, not the game.

2 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

i don't like it because of it's unnecissary complexity. i bet you'd actually only use it 10%, at most.

How is it complex? I genuinely don't understand. If I remember correctly, its literally just ctrl + w or s. We already use x + scroll for changing weapon range.

Nobody asking for tiered stances is asking for the game to be made into Arma. Just because this suggestion is being referenced to the feature in Arma doesn't mean that the devs would make it the same. People are asking for the ability to have stance in between the ones in game. Some people will use it and some won't. This isn't some super necessary feature. Everyone can play just fine without it. This is a quality of life type of addition. It falls into the bit of 'it would be nice' rather than the 'we need this now'. If you don't like it, don't use it.

1 hour ago, Geebus said:

How is it complex?

They already spent months hand crafting the current animations. That was a complete overhaul. Logically if they would have wanted to add additional animations similar to ARMA3 they most likely would have done it at that point. Don't get your hopes up.

If a height profile/stance system is implemented, I'd like to see it more so similar to Escape from Tarkovs system, farm ore fluid and intuitive compared to Arma 3's system. A3's stance system was good for it's time, but hasn't aged well.

In saying this, OWI have said they wanted to explore a "soft" cover system, not sure if any internal prototype was created & tested, or it's just remained on the want list.