PythagorasHP

Helicopter pitch and roll controls

100% agree here, helicopters absolutely need the ability to bind pitch and roll to keys rather than solely relying on an axis. Having both would be ideal (similar to Arma 3). Trying to fly with a small mousepad is quite difficult.

Could also use the ability to rebind the instrument camera key as well! Accidentally pressed it multiple times while flying to fatal effect.

Indeed, looks like the single keybind was only created for now for mouse and kindda like joystick analog control although my joystick is not detected in squad. Wonder if I could use a software to emulate x / y mouse movements with my joystick.

Edited by gevi

Well, I'm sort of hacking this with my joystick emulating mouse movements and keyboard presses via the software "joytokey".

It's not that bad so far. My joystick is a Logitech Extreme 3D pro, pretty basic but works. It lets me assign the usual up/down/left/right for pitch and yaw control but also has a Z axis which I use for Yaw Rudder left/ right. And a couple buttons for controlling thrust.

I'm working on free look.

Cheers      

I also 100% agree.

Came here to make the exact same suggestion, since I want to be able to bind pitch control to arrow keys , and roll control to .

Played a lot of Battlefield Vietnam back in the day, which also had helicopters, and using the arrow keys was, and still is, the only real way that I'll be able to make som precision flying with helos.

yes pls, more customisation options also including:

- static collective thrust at hover rotation on neutral. raise to max on up and lower to zero at down. (not the slider we have to adjust back everytime we make a small change)

- option to raise or lower pitch, yaw and roll "sensitivity" for keyboard

Edited by gshAT

i would prefer, given the current model:

AD for roll (strafe)

MWheel for collective

mouse axis for yaw and pitch

my biggest issue is that every time i go to move forward my muscle memory is hitting the WS and changing the collective instead - really doing my head in.

i cannot fathom why they swapped movement controls to opposite hands, just for the helo's - apart from 'coz current flight model', of course. if it followed our normal-handedness it would not be so unintuitive, i believe.

bring on stick controls! ;)

well ... you naturally only can move forward by raising collective and pitching nose ... there is no forward on a heli.

actually they are close to standard controls for helis in games and also real life. you control the stick with your mouse and the rudder with your feet, which are on a/d ... still a lot of ppl fly with different settings in game and the controls just should be fully costumisable.

in the input file there are following options:

AxisMappings=(AxisName="HelicopterUp",Scale=-1.000000,Key=S) //Collective Down
AxisMappings=(AxisName="HelicopterUp",Scale=1.000000,Key=W) //Collective Up

AxisMappings=(AxisName="HelicopterRight",Scale=-10.000000,Key=A) // Rudder/Pedal Left
AxisMappings=(AxisName="HelicopterRight",Scale=10.000000,Key=D) // Rudder/Pedal Right

AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveAileron",Scale=1.000000,Key=MouseX) // Rolling Right
AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveAileron",Scale=1.000000,Key=None) // Rolling Left

AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveElevator",Scale=-1.000000,Key=Joystick_Axis1) //Pitch down
AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveElevator",Scale=1.000000,Key=MouseY)// Pitch Up

im right now testing a bit what you can change...

and pls bring an option for a neutral hover flight.(when not touching the collective controls) this slider makes me crazy especially on small and precise maneuvers.

edit: seems when you want your mouse as input you only have to put in the positive value and leave the other option empty.

you actually also can change the sensitivity on keyboard inputs.

I changed the rudder to scale 10 and you can make ridiculous turns right now.

probably there should be a max value.

EDIT2

actually you could consider the scale change almost as cheat.

i am able to stop full speed almost on point with a "u-turn"". i can fly through my own exhaust emission. also maneuvering precision full speed is much easier since you can almost overcome the air pressure and still use heck rotor to turn ... its only a lil bit tricky when the game switches back to full rotor impact on low speed. u might end up doing a circle.

i definitley think there should be some tweaking to it ... but there should be a max value to it i guess.

Edited by gshAT

I can only agree to this. There need to be more keybind options to the helicopter. I want to use UP DOWN for pitch and LEFT RIGHT for roll in the helicopter. Having just the mouse as axis is really bad.

6 minutes ago, Robertruski said:

I can only agree to this. There need to be more keybind options to the helicopter. I want to use UP DOWN for pitch and LEFT RIGHT for roll in the helicopter. Having just the mouse as axis is really bad.