Sign in to follow this  
paragonid

Remove forced Tracers from SL kits

In the current state of the game, tracers are a disadvantage. In firefights your own concealment is much more important than fire support on the same target.

Tracer users get spotted and targeted faster than everyone else, while it's somewhat justified for MG, SLs need to stay alive and shouldn't get targeted and die before everyone else. Forcing tracers on SLs are bad for their survival and therefor squad teamplay in general.

Speaking about Russian army, IRL many soldiers have to load their mags themselves, and even if have a choice, don't have to load tracers at all

It should be optional or removed.

1 hour ago, paragonid said:

In firefights your own concealment is much more important than fire support on the same target.

Sounds like there is a much larger problem than tracers here.

The only problem here is that forcing tracers is bad in any case. Connected problems should go in separate threads

Posted (edited)

Trying to treat symptoms instead of the root cause of a problem is a very shortsighted way of proposing changes. I agree with your premise that as things stand, tracers are nothing more than eye candy, and they're even detrimental to players whom are forced to use them. That said, simply removing tracers is just a drop in the bucket of problems and I would even dare say that when you consider the broader context it's a step backwards, not forward.

Let's not dance, however - firefights are over too quickly, that's why tracers are useless.

Edited by MultiSquid

Again, it is completely different level of the problem.

Even after it's solved, forced tracers on SL will still be bad for their survival in the field. It's not a symptom, it's a separate problem, laying rather in the field of kit customization rather than combat mechanics.

I opposed to hard requirement of kit customization before, but simple things like tracer selection or having unscoped kit which every soldier can take out themselves has no protection of "you use what you get in army"

I would like to see something as you have with the PPSH, where you have 2 different options for your magazines so you would have a tracer mag and your normal mags in different slots. If you need to point something out you can quickly reload to tracers.

Posted (edited)

I'm already tracer.

Tracer mags should be an option like ppsh drum/stick arrangement.
Also, as if SL isn't already op with fullauto m4.
That's probably the main reason tracer gets people spotted: firing a full burst of 5-10 guarantees a tracer.

Edited by EcchiRevenge

The problem is more that SL are not meant to go first line and kill, but to support and lead their squad... 

@Uelz No, they have to lead by example. The SL should just be as much in the fight as his Squad. The tracers are there to call out targets but that isn't really useful in Squad and for mg's, it is to lead in your own shots but that is just as useless if you are using a scope and firing at ground targets.

Posted (edited)
On 6.10.2019 at 10:02 PM, deadstalker said:

@Uelz No, they have to lead by example. The SL should just be as much in the fight as his Squad. The tracers are there to call out targets but that isn't really useful in Squad and for mg's, it is to lead in your own shots but that is just as useless if you are using a scope and firing at ground targets.

Well, in the end, it doesn't even matter. Tracer or not Squad's gameplay is too fast-paced and a change of tracers wouldn't change anything.

You can see yourself by trying to get in competitive tournament matches or watch the stream of such event.

We have other issues to address first.

Edited by Phoenixstorm

Maybe I'm no good squad leader (yes I know I'm bad) but my experience is that I run from cover to cover right behind my squad mates and use them as my eyes and ears and try to coordinate them individually more like a blindfolded chessplayer. In one game I was only sitting in the fob about 50m away from the mortars to coordinate the radio chat... Fireteam voicechat heard by tammates and the SL would help but would make things even more difficult for casual players... Meh most of the tools in game don't get used by the players anyway... 

I personally dont like the tracers. Some people have mentioned some real world tracers arent visible from the front., which would be nice.

Currently I shoot around what I want to get attention. I get better participation when I shoot right under the window sill/or at at wall; it kicks up a dust cloud that is much easier to see than a red 'laser' blipping past. Currently the tracers don't do much for me except make me "shoot and move" as an SL; I never stay still unless I have a scope and others supporting me.

Edited by Hashashin

On 10/10/2019 at 9:09 AM, Hashashin said:

Some people have mentioned some real world tracers arent visible from the front.

The tracers used for modern ammunition now have a delayed effect to their burn where it's far more difficult to know where the bullet came from.You get the bonus of walking your shots in without being given away at the same time.