Jump to content
Gadaffi

Squad and PR (Project Reality)

Recommended Posts

 

did this guy just described that he want PR expiriance? :) squad is there... just need some tweaking...

 

Com'n guys stay true to your vision and you will be rewarded!

Edited by Disco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2019 at 12:43 PM, fuzzhead said:

I hear you guys, and will do my best to ensure that Squad has a place where former PR players (including myself) are not in a melancholy state about "what could have been", but rather have a defined and proud place within the community where they feel the best aspects of gameplay, attitude and culture of PR lives on, and even thrives!

Thank you very much fuzzhead. As a former PR player, I am quite happy to hear that PR culture will continue to live and thrive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2019 at 6:25 PM, Zulnex said:

Thank you very much fuzzhead. As a former PR player, I am quite happy to hear that PR culture will continue to live and thrive.

yeah.... sorry the Mr. Pessimistic, but it wont.

 

I have no doubts that Fuzz's intentions are sincere and in the right place, but one man a change will not make. Squad is never going to be like PR or anything that resembles it. The pace of the game has rooted itself and has set it far too apart from PR. transports are meaningless, tickets are meaningless, staying alive is meaningless, teamwork is meaningless in squad.

 

Thrive? what? what?? where the hell did this come from? at no point did it thrive nor will it ever. Squad's focus has shifted to none-stop combat/action, with teamwork being secondary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chompster said:

The pace of the game has rooted itself and has set it far too apart from PR. transports are meaningless, tickets are meaningless, staying alive is meaningless, teamwork is meaningless in squad.

 

Thrive? what? what?? where the hell did this come from? at no point did it thrive nor will it ever. Squad's focus has shifted to none-stop combat/action, with teamwork being secondary. 

At least this part is absoulutely true....SAD...but true.

 

Now...I want to be optimistic. Nothing there to lose. BEcause I havent played in 6 months, and will only come back IF they decide to make vanilla more meaningful. In the meantime, i also wait for mods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Chompster said:

The pace of the game has rooted itself and has set it far too apart from PR. transports are meaningless, tickets are meaningless, staying alive is meaningless, teamwork is meaningless in squad.

 

Thrive? what? what?? where the hell did this come from? at no point did it thrive nor will it ever. Squad's focus has shifted to none-stop combat/action, with teamwork being secondary. 

Stop your delusional exaggerations. Like I said before I got so tired of listening to you guys wax nostalgic and pass off a bunch of half truths about Squad I finally downloaded PR a few weeks ago. I played both back to back Al Basrah and Fools Road on the same day in both Squad and PR.

 

That said, there isn't really much difference in either plus I'd say if anything the vehicles in PR are way more Arcade with their speed, maneuverability and not getting stuck on things. Nevermind the fact that in PR several times some shitlords TK'd me on purpose which rarely happens in Squad, I was never revived by Medics even once, zero teamwork with hardly anyone on SL chat and people were Zerg Rushing and wasting assets left and right.

 

It simply boils down to the server and the people you play with honestly. I was playing both Squad and the new CoD off and on all weekend and had some great matches in both plus some really crappy ones as well.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Stop your delusional exaggerations. Like I said before I got so tired of listening to you guys wax nostalgic and pass off a bunch of half truths about Squad I finally downloaded PR a few weeks ago. I played both back to back Al Basrah and Fools Road on the same day in both Squad and PR.

 

That said, there isn't really much difference in either plus I'd say if anything the vehicles in PR are way more Arcade with their speed, maneuverability and not getting stuck on things. Nevermind the fact that in PR several times some shitlords TK'd me on purpose which rarely happens in Squad, I was never revived by Medics even once, zero teamwork with hardly anyone on SL chat and people were Zerg Rushing and wasting assets left and right.

 

It simply boils down to the server and the people you play with honestly. I was playing both Squad and the new CoD off and on all weekend and had some great matches in both plus some really crappy ones as well.

 

 

There is a world of difference. IF there isnt, well, then tell fuzz there isnt and that what he posted is redundant and irrelevant.

 

You played PR for some hours. how many hours have you got in Squad? 

 

If you went with this attitud into any server, just to biased to prove that PR was some nostalgic stupid thing from the past, then....well...you got what you wanted. Still...Im sorry for anybody who missed the fantastic gameplay PR offers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lost expectations in the squad! I hate squad today!
I waiting the athena mod! PR LIVE IN US!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Stop your delusional exaggerations. Like I said before I got so tired of listening to you guys wax nostalgic and pass off a bunch of half truths about Squad I finally downloaded PR a few weeks ago. I played both back to back Al Basrah and Fools Road on the same day in both Squad and PR.

You're better off playing SquadOps or a private Arma event if you want to get a better sense of the pacing we're looking for as PR 1.0+ got a lot faster than PR used to be, before it became freeware. We're talking about PR at its peak. 

 

I agree with the points above and the only way we're going to get anything remotely classic PR-like out of Squad is through mods. People need to internalize that and stop waiting around for vanilla to suddenly do a 90° turn and alienate the much larger arcade shooter refugee fanbase the new gameplay nurtured.

Edited by wavefunction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Nightingale87 said:

There is a world of difference. IF there isnt, well, then tell fuzz there isnt and that what he posted is redundant and irrelevant.

 

You played PR for some hours. how many hours have you got in Squad? 

 

If you went with this attitud into any server, just to biased to prove that PR was some nostalgic stupid thing from the past, then....well...you got what you wanted. Still...Im sorry for anybody who missed the fantastic gameplay PR offers.

I had no attitude. I downloaded the mod overnight on a Friday, installed early Saturday morning, read the manual, got all my settings and keybinds in order and entered the only server available in North America, I believe it was called "HOG".

 

I then played off an on all weekend back to back with Squad matches on several different maps. Overall, I found the PR game itself to be very enjoyable. That said, again you've completely missed the point. You guys think that somehow making Squad into a PR clone is going to reverse time and return you to this magical land where everyone drinks Bubble Up and eats Rainbow Stew.

 

What I'm telling you is you can never go back in time no matter how much you want. Ironically, the same type of experience is happening to all the younger Squad community right this minute and ten years from now they'll be searching for this same magic quality that you guys have imprinted in your brains from PR.

 

Get over it. No "Athena" mod is ever going to fix your nostalgic fixations. Besides, modding Squad is a dead end. Just look at the custom browser, its essentially empty save some clans private scrims. Fascinating community members have spent countless thousands of hours making extremely creative and wonderful maps and mods and yet they sit on shelves gathering dust.

 

Heck, even look at the CAF mod that got inside help and greenlighted yet everyone in the clan scene hates it and won't host it so its mostly dead which was a real shame because I really appreciated that Nanisivik map.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

I had no attitude. I downloaded the mod overnight on a Friday, installed early Saturday morning, read the manual, got all my settings and keybinds in order and entered the only server available in North America, I believe it was called "HOG".

 

I then played off an on all weekend back to back with Squad matches on several different maps. Overall, I found the PR game itself to be very enjoyable. That said, again you've completely missed the point. You guys think that somehow making Squad into a PR clone is going to reverse time and return you to this magical land where everyone drinks Bubble Up and eats Rainbow Stew.

 

What I'm telling you is you can never go back in time no matter how much you want. Ironically, the same type of experience is happening to all the younger Squad community right this minute and ten years from now they'll be searching for this same magic quality that you guys have imprinted in your brains from PR.

 

Get over it. No "Athena" mod is ever going to fix your nostalgic fixations. Besides, modding Squad is a dead end. Just look at the custom browser, its essentially empty save some clans private scrims. Fascinating community members have spent countless thousands of hours making extremely creative and wonderful maps and mods and yet they sit on shelves gathering dust.

 

Heck, even look at the CAF mod that got inside help and greenlighted yet everyone in the clan scene hates it and won't host it so its mostly dead which was a real shame because I really appreciated that Nanisivik map.

Off topic I have to say it´s very curious how every time you express yourself you sound like you´re talking to somebody else. Like if you had some personal issue or agenda that is hard to relate to the topic. 

 

For instance, let´s say you are right. ATHENA mod is hopeless, vanilla will never be a tactical and all that (unrelated) comments. So what is it to you? Why do you care? Why do you waste your time and write 4 paragraphs to put people down? If you are wrong, then you are wring and time will tell, if you are right, what do you achieve by doing this? really. It´s hard to understand where you come from, it´s like you just WANT a certain mod to fail.

 

Now a bit more on topic. Well....First of all, you played less than 10 hours, sorry, but that´s not enough. And you´re judging a game from a short experience in only one server. You know that´s not enough nor objective.

 

Secondly, all this nostalgia thing you keep commenting, where does it come from? which nostalgia? In v12 SQUAD was quite similar to PR. Almost the same actually. Why?

 

1 No buddy rally.

2 No buddy rally.

3 No buddy rally.

 

From v 10 to v12 they increased the HAB disable range and added respawn timer. That plus no buddy rally ended up with a VERY similar experience to PR. They were MOVING towards something more tactical. Version after version, things here and there, fewer name tags, smaller name tags, all being able to revive, increased respawn timer, etc. And then, suddenly… V13 with buddy rally and no dead dead. Suddenly, they started moving the opposite direciton.

 

That´s it. That´s all your dramatic violin soundtrack speech about NOSTALGIA. V12. Basically 2 mechanics (,rally and hab disable distance increased, (because the dead dead came back)

 

You go so far with your words that it´s hard to believe you really know what the requests some part of the community is making.

Edited by Nightingale87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Nightingale87 said:

Off topic I have to say it´s very curious how every time you express yourself you sound like you´re talking to somebody else. Like if you had some personal issue or agenda that is hard to relate to the topic. 

 

For instance, let´s say you are right. ATHENA mod is hopeless, vanilla will never be a tactical and all that (unrelated) comments. So what is it to you? Why do you care? Why do you waste your time and write 4 paragraphs to put people down? If you are wrong, then you are wring and time will tell, if you are right, what do you achieve by doing this? really. It´s hard to understand where you come from, it´s like you just WANT a certain mod to fail.

 

Now a bit more on topic. Well....First of all, you played less than 10 hours, sorry, but that´s not enough. And you´re judging a game from a short experience in only one server. You know that´s not enough nor objective.

 

Secondly, all this nostalgia thing you keep commenting, where does it come from? which nostalgia? In v12 SQUAD was quite similar to PR. Almost the same actually. Why?

 

1 No buddy rally.

2 No buddy rally.

3 No buddy rally.

 

From v 10 to v12 they increased the HAB disable range and added respawn timer. That plus no buddy rally ended up with a VERY similar experience to PR. They were MOVING towards something more tactical. Version after version, things here and there, fewer name tags, smaller name tags, all being able to revive, increased respawn timer, etc. And then, suddenly… V13 with buddy rally and no dead dead. Suddenly, they started moving the opposite direciton.

 

That´s it. That´s all your dramatic violin soundtrack speech about NOSTALGIA. V12. Basically 2 mechanics (,rally and hab disable distance increased, (because the dead dead came back)

 

You go so far with your words that it´s hard to believe you really know what the requests some part of the community is making.

Basically every single week there's a new "why isn't Squad PR2?" thread. And yet to this day you can still go play PR and get exactly the experience you think is missing from Squad but oddly enough hardly anyone is playing and my experience was they're all more toxic than anything I ever experienced in Squad.

 

I keep trying to find the downside of playing PR vs. Squad and I couldn't. Starting with graphics I had all settings maxed out on my 2080 and the game looks every bit as good as Squad especially considering they've dumbed down a lot of textures to 1k for the toaster's in Squad. In fact, the two maps I compared; Basrah and Fools I thought looked as good if not better than Squad. Furthermore, the building models and textures in Basrah looked way more interesting honestly.

 

Moving on to the gunplay I had no problems either with that. The only negative thing I could find about PR was the Command Map was a bit low resolution compared to Squad's map.

 

Bottom line, tell me the downside of everyone organizing and going back and playing PR plus also contributing to them on PayPal if you love the game so much? Not a single one of you have ever offered a reasonable excuse why you simply don't play PR and yet thousands upon thousands of you have demanded that Squad be transformed into PR2.

 

Funny thing is bluedrake is a Squad founder and yet here he is recently playing PR, so what's stopping you?

 

 

Edited by Zylfrax791

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Basically every single week there's a new "why isn't Squad PR2?" thread. And yet to this day you can still go play PR and get exactly the experience you think is missing from Squad but oddly enough hardly anyone is playing and my experience was they're all more toxic than anything I ever experienced in Squad.

 

I keep trying to find the downside of playing PR vs. Squad and I couldn't. Starting with graphics I had all settings maxed out on my 2080 and the game looks every bit as good as Squad especially considering they've dumbed down a lot of textures to 1k for the toaster's in Squad. In fact, the two maps I compared; Basrah and Fools I thought looked as good if not better than Squad. Furthermore, the building models and textures in Basrah looked way more interesting honestly.

 

Moving on to the gunplay I had no problems either with that. The only negative thing I could find about PR was the Command Map was a bit low resolution compared to Squad's map.

 

Bottom line, tell me the downside of everyone organizing and going back and playing PR plus also contributing to them on PayPal if you love the game so much? Not a single one of you have ever offered a reasonable excuse why you simply don't play PR and yet thousands upon thousands of you have demanded that Squad be transformed into PR2.

 

Funny thing is bluedrake is a Squad founder and yet here he is recently playing PR, so what's stopping you?

 

 

1 You are literally saying that PR has better graphics than SQUAD. Really? REALLY???  Does it also sound better? 

Now I ain´t gonna talk about that anymore because your claim talks by itself.

 

2 No problems with gunplay? PR has the most counter intuitive gun mechanics I´ve seen because the gun swya wasnt built in in BF2, so they ended up with a very "particular" mechanic. Appearently you had "no problems" with it. Anyway... 

 

Gun play was reason NUMBER 1 for people trying to move PR to other NEWER games like ARMA2 or 3 back in the day. Actually....one of the reasons SQUAD even exists. But you didn´t find any problem with it....in less that 8 hours of gaming. Ok....

 

3 I´ve contriuted with enough money to PR. Some of the most satisfying donations I´ve ever made. So proud and happy of them.

 

4 An excuse Why people don´t play PR. Well....ehm...people DID GO BACK to PR. Not many, but some did. Some just let go completely (find out about PRTA).

 

Now Why can it be that so many people in this forum want a PR2.... Why don´t we go to other forums like I don´t lnow, LEague of legends, or SIMS, or...flight simulator…..

 

Mmmm… there must be a link....some connection…

 

hmmm…. what could it be???....

 

let´s think....

 

Maybe....maybe....

 

only maybe....

 

It´s because SQUAD was created by former members of PR community and actually advertized the game as PR´s SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR????…. maybe???

 

IT could be. I remember the days in which people were PROMOTING SQUAD IN PR SERVERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

And until v12 they were actually moving that way, and then changed completely.... maybe....maybe...

 

 

Edited by Nightingale87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Basically every single week there's a new "why isn't Squad PR2?" thread. And yet to this day you can still go play PR and get exactly the experience you think is missing from Squad but oddly enough hardly anyone is playing and my experience was they're all more toxic than anything I ever experienced in Squad.

Like it was said numerous times before, when people talk about PR they're not talking about PR as it is now, they're talking about what it used to be like in its heyday. Peak PR. For me this was between 2008-2011ish. The PR community went to shit when it became freeware because the barrier to entry plummeted. 

SquadOps one-life events better capture the tension of classic PR.

Edited by wavefunction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wavefunction said:

The PR community went to shit when it became freeware because the barrier to entry plummeted. 

Not sure if I agree with you on that. Being based on an engine from 2004 wasn't doing it any favours...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Not a single one of you have ever offered a reasonable excuse why you simply don't play PR and yet thousands upon thousands of you have demanded that Squad be transformed into PR2.

 

Funny thing is bluedrake is a Squad founder and yet here he is recently playing PR, so what's stopping you?

 

 

 

Thousands,  lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Squad wasn’t just marketed as the spiritual successor of PR, on the FAQ page of the official Squad site it’s described as “the spiritual successor of PR in all but name.” That’s a pretty clear statement, which isn’t reflected in the turn that game development took a few versions ago. Please devs, at least change this misleading statement.

 

I also remember this long-winded post Merlin made on reddit about how Squad really is the spiritual successor of PR, but in the same post he admitted that they are now trying to make Squad more appealing to new players and more mainstream audiences by making it less hardcore.

 

I totally respect Fuzz for his dedication to the PR spirit and respect for the community, but it looks like he’s fighting an uphill battle.

Edited by fatalsushi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Not sure if I agree with you on that. Being based on an engine from 2004 wasn't doing it any favours...

Going free saw a huge drop in the quality of the community but I left before that because I couldn't stand the ancient engine with all its limitations anymore. It felt extremely dated even back in 2010-11.

 

I fired it up again a few years ago due to being disappointed with Squad but at that point it felt so dated I couldn't get into it at all. 

 

Makes it all the more painful that there was never a modern version of it. 

Edited by wavefunction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In response to OP. Backed squad during the kick starter and have regretted it ever since. Squad really just feels like its completely lost touch with the community that gave it life. Instead of being a happy medium between battlefield and arma, the game seems intent on artificially nerfing anything and everything to induce a false sense of realism in gameplay resulting in a clunky boring experience that still somehow ends up being less intense or even realistic than PR. Of course i guess this is a good thing for the circle jerk community that has attached itself to squad but I simply can't name a single friend from 10 years of PR that plays Squad. Simply put, Squad is PR but worse in virtually every single way and nothing but a disapointment for the PR community. 

 

Would appreciate a refund.

Edited by hades

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hades said:

 Squad is PR but worse in virtually every single way and nothing but a disapointment for the PR community. 

 

Would appreciate a refund.

You're being a little over dramatic aren't you? How are the graphics/effects in Squad vs PR again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, [email protected] said:

You're being a little over dramatic aren't you? How are the graphics/effects in Squad vs PR again?

Thats pretty much the main reason we backed squad en-mass. PR needed a new engine due to refractor being limited by 2003? tech.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×