Sign in to follow this  
pappachuck

Helicopters guns ideas vs what we have

Right now the guns we have are the same as useless for Air Support.

We need the .50 cal on the helis, at least we can shoot back at vehicles and actually do damage.

Never add miniguns, they are too OP.

With crappy guns helis will just be a HAB spammer, cause they are too slow to be used as element of surprise.

25 minutes ago, pappachuck said:

Right now the guns we have are the same as useless for Air Support.

We need the .50 cal on the helis, at least we can shoot back at vehicles and actually do damage.

Never add miniguns, they are too OP.

With crappy guns helis will just be a HAB spammer, cause they are too slow to be used as element of surprise.

Transport helicopters are not meant to be attack platforms, which is why the crew served weapons that are mounted are only used for self defense and suppressing fire. There’s a reason why attack helicopters exist. 

In my opinion, if you’re using it as a makeshift gunship, you’re doing it wrong. You’re needlessly risking the helicopter, and with only crew served weapons you’re going to be ineffective against anything armored or hunkered down. Meanwhile you’re a very prominent target that anyone can see and shoot at. With the eventual addition of MANPADs, you’ll have another axis of threat that can bring your flight to an abrupt, and flaming end. Transport helicopters should just get in, drop their guys or unload their ammo, and get out of dodge. 

Not to mention, Army Black Hawks don’t fly with 50 cals, they use 240s as depicted in Squad. The Mi-8 has a Kord modeled which is a 12.7mm (50 cal). 

Does this answer your miss knowledge?

side 50 cal

UH-60G can carry the following weapons as side gun:

M134 Minigun

M2 (.50 cal) and its variants

M240B

FN MINIMI

M249

M60

They also tested a few experimental weapons like the .50cal gattling gun.

Pretty much anything. The Air Force load them according to their need, mission, weight considerations.....

Any Helicopter like the UH-60 and Mi-8 are also used as a tactical element to provide aerial support to the troops on the ground. That is another misconception of your comment.

It is not only self-defense.

1 minute ago, pappachuck said:

Does this answer your miss knowledge?

side 50 cal

UH-60G can carry the following weapons as side gun:

M134 Minigun

M2 (.50 cal) and its variants

M240B

FN MINIMI

M249

M60

They also tested a few experimental weapons like the .50cal gattling gun.

Pretty much anything. The Air Force load them according to their need, mission, weight considerations.....

Any Helicopter like the UH-60 and Mi-8 are also used as a tactical element to provide aerial support to the troops on the ground. That is another misconception of your comment.

It is not only self-defense.

You’re right, they have that capability, but a conventional transport Black Hawk like the one depicted in Squad, doesn’t. Just M240s for self defense. Which is why they are modeled the way they are. 

Yes, I’m well aware the Pave Hawks in the Air Force runs 50s in their gunner windows, just like we in the Navy run 50s in our cabins. We can also mount 20mm M197s on the pylon, as well as Hellfires and UGRs. But those are two entirely different branches. Not the Army. 

Squad is all about conventional military conflict, which is why the helicopters depicted reflect the standard load outs and equipment they’d utilize in real life. Transport helicopters, as in meant to transport and not act as dedicated CAS platforms, are what we have. And they shouldn’t be utilized to strafe or do attacks when they are severely mismatched in that role. 

"when they are severely mismatched in that role."

You said everything here. When you are in the position of providing CAS you can use a transport Heli to do that.

Offcourse they do not use that or intend to use a UH-60 as a dedicated CAS platform. However it is common to see these helis with much more firepower than a M240.

Right now you simple cannot shoot back at a Technical but they can shoot at you. You simple cannot self-defend yourself or the troops you dropped or are about to pickup.

Firepower is essential.

4 minutes ago, pappachuck said:

"when they are severely mismatched in that role."

You said everything here. When you are in the position of providing CAS you can use a transport Heli to do that.

Offcourse they do not use that or intend to use a UH-60 as a dedicated CAS platform. However it is common to see these helis with much more firepower than a M240.

Right now you simple cannot shoot back at a Technical but they can shoot at you. You simple cannot self-defend yourself or the troops you dropped or are about to pickup.

Firepower is essential.

I think you’re missing my point here. Just because 60s or Mi-8s can accommodate a plethora of crew served weapons and fixed forward firing weaponry, doesn’t mean they should be added just for the sake of allowing them to conduct CAS.

Transport is the primary role of those helicopters. Not CAS. Why they only have door guns in Squad. You should not feel encouraged to conduct CAS attacks when all you have are door guns. You should only utilize them for self defense to suppress pop up threats and egress the area rapidly. Not loiter around trying to kill the enemy. You aren’t going to win that engagement. Adding a 50 cal to the 60 isn’t suddenly going to make it anymore capable of destroying threats, because the overwhelming majority of threats will not be affected by that.

Crew served weapons are suppressive weapons.

I've been spending a bit of time flying and I can tell you they are as balanced as they are going to get. I agree with Dockside Bars about it being a transport chopper, it is meant for quick insertions, not fire support missions. If you want the bang gbang chopper, wait for the AH-6 and the Hind.

I recall a mission we had, I dropped into the river, picked up squad 10 and 9, hot dropped behind spy village and they rallied, as I was taking off my gunner was shooting into the trees to provide suppressing fire before we got shot by a tank and died but that rally we put ended up turning the tides of the battle by taking the heat off of the team aggressing the front.

Edited by The Goth Cat