pappachuck

Flight model physics

Its clear that both helis (Mi-8  and UH-60) have the same flight model. Well, that's a big mistake, each heli should be unique. Need to be added concepts of momentum, and drag into the game. It is possible because I simulate my robots using ROS on a similar game engine.

The helis are too slow, too bulletproof and too weak against hard landing. touching a wall does more damage than taking shots from an AA.

Instead of a set speed limit of 100 knots, real helis are limited by physics. When you go beyond certain point the helis become unstable and create too much turbulence due to the dissymmetry of lift. It is different for every heli and can be easily implemented.

why helicopters have a speed limit:

https://digg.com/video/helicopter-speed-limit

More changes:

We cant allow helis to do hard G maneuvers, the rotors should pop just like in DCS.

They dont have momentum, they literally just slide in the air and accelerate too fast. SHould not be like that.

When using the collective you should have to adjust the rudder to compensate rotor Torque.

when loaded they should behave different than when empty.

Good points.

As someone who writes Flight Dynamics models for Flight simulators I am looking for a lot more meat on the bones of the choppers.

You can try using the meshes from the loaded model, import on meshlab and create a step file. You can run a very basic Aerodynamic model it only requires 3 differential equations. More meshes of course makes it better but for gaming purposes and GPU limitations we can run a less than a 100K meshes simulations in any GPU quite fast without lagging.

The momentum physics are not hard either, you can copy for other simulation software for robotics.

The flght controls they are the hardest to implement and need multiple iterations and tweeking.