Sign in to follow this  
Gatzby

A15 Survey Review

Hey squaddies,

We recently sent out another community survey for the A15 patch which received over 3000 responses! Thank you for all your submissions!

The survey has given us more valuable feedback in the areas we wanted to hit this time around, and as always we are wanting to ensure we’re reviewing all of the data and allowing the team to discuss the feedback from the community but we’re ready to break down the responses to see how you folks feel.

WHO’S PARTICIPATING?

Once again, our veteran squaddies are leading the charge with 87% of the 3500 responses coming from players with over 100 hours in the game, and the final 13% being from players with 50 hours or less. There’s still a lot of experience going into the feedback and we appreciate this wide range of opinions being reflected in the survey.

IS THIS A GOOD PATCH?

Alpha 15 seems to be a popular patch with a majority (85.4%) of responses showing a positive opinion for the patch, with the remaining being made up with a satisfactory view (11.9%) and very few negative responses (2.7%). We see this as another step in the right direction as our surveys continue to show a positive reflection on the work being done with each new patch.

A15_01_OverallExperience-700x467.png

INFANTRY TUTORIAL

The first patch specific question was regarding the new Infantry Tutorial that was brought with Alpha 16. Here a majority of 62% of responses deemed the tutorial length of 15-20 minutes to be about right, 8% feel it is not long enough and a further 2% thinking it was too long. The final 28% of responses came from players who hadn’t tested the tutorial. Have more thoughts for us? Be sure to include your feedback in the thread!

NEW SUPPLY INTERFACE

The new radial interface for logistics and supply trucks was something that may have come as a surprise in this patch, but seems to have been well received! 67% of the responses liked the change, with a further 19% liking it but having some concerns regarding the change. 5.9% flat out didn’t like the addition while the rest hadn’t noticed the change.

A15_07_LogiRadial-700x467.png

BMP-2 IFV BALANCE

We broached the subject of vehicle balance by asking how you felt regarding the Russian BMP-2. This question had a mixed response with 30.2% viewing the BMP as balanced, 9% feeling they are underpowered, and 4.8% holding the view they are overpowered. The remaining 55% were split between lack of time with the vehicle or feel it is too early to state so we may need a bit more time with the BMP-2 before making certain. You can always get back to us after you’ve passed basic, crewman.

A15 HOT TOPICS

DAMAGE-INFLUENCED REVIVE TIMES

We asked  your opinions regarding the new system that shortens revive times based on the amount of damage taken upon death. Once again, a majority of 58% saw this change as a positive one, however, there was a portion who were split between the previous revive systems of A13/A14 (3.9%) and A12 (18.4%). A further 6.5% would like to see a different approach to the system, while 8.6% are indifferent to the changes.

A15_03_ReviveTimes-700x467.png

INSTA-DEATH VULNERABILITY

Pretty overwhelming support here for the damage implications of heavy rounds causing insta-death situations where a player becomes unrevivable. 87% of the responses would like to see this situation in-game with 7.7% not liking the idea and the remainder not having a preference on the matter

A15_02_Instadeath-700x467.png

BUDDY RALLY

The discussions are ongoing about the pros and cons of the buddy rally and the results below show just how split the community is when it comes to the subject. The larger percentage of results of 47% penned in with a negative response with 18.4% of players saying they didn’t like the feature, however, the majority of that negative percentage of 29.4% were players of the opinion that they would be open to seeing the buddy rally in a different way.

A15_04_BuddyRally-700x467.png

Next up, we asked for views on player momentum. Nearly half (49.2%) of the responses were in favour of the changes, where 29.7% said they would like to see changes with how this system works in-game. A further 21.1% showed no preference for the system.

A15_05_PlayerMomentum-700x467.png

Another hot topic across the community were the changes recently made to the HAB spawn system which has gone under various changes due to the feedback we have seen. The current implementation sees 64.1% of responses being happy with the overrun feature currently in-game, whereas a third (33%) would like to see changes. The final 2.9% say they hadn’t noticed this feature.

A15_06_HABOverrun-700x467.png

MAPS, MODES, AND MORE

GAME MODES

The final section of the survey addressed game modes, maps, and factions with multi-option choices where we asked to pick a selection rather than being forced to pick just one, we’re sorry you couldn’t select all maps though! For game modes, the results came in as below with RAAS and AAS both being a popular game mode across the survey!

A15surveryQ11-700x363.png

MAPS

We asked you to pick your top three favourite maps here gave you three and Al Basrah comes in as the most successful here, with Yeho close behind:

A15surveryQ12-700x423.png

FACTIONS

Finally, we asked which factions were the most favored:

A15surveryQ13-700x363.png

There you have it, a full breakdown of the recent A15 survey results. As always we value your opinions highly and we will be sure to continue seeking this type of feedback as updates are released, so stay tuned for more installments of the community survey!

OFFWORLD OUT.

Considering the (low)quality of rounds I've been playing consecutively lately, these results don't surprise me in the least.

Edited by Chompster

20 hours ago, MultiSquid said:

So, it seems everything is fine, and everyone is happy.

Sike.

8 hours ago, RB79BALL said:

The moment I realised that I am in the minority....

1 hour ago, Chompster said:

Considering the (low)quality of rounds I've been playing consecutively lately, these results don't surprise me in the least.

Part of the community is suffering. Now after 2 versions and some surveys I can´t but say that devs are neglecting that part of the community.

sigh...

I do feel like most players in Squad want the game to become more casual for some reason. Which personally i would really hate if that happened. I've gotten used to V13-15's more "casual" and chaotic game flow, but i'd still prefer V11's, which is imo the version that played the best.

I think the main difference between V11-12 and V13-15 is the spawn and death mechanics that make Squad feel like an entirely different game.

Staying alive right now doesn't feel important at all, because spawning is too forgiving, fobs also lost a lot of their importance because of the buddy rally mechanic. If the buddy rally was a unique feature to the insurgents, then yeah i'd say it would be a welcome addition to the game, since it would balance out their highly inferior weapons and assets with a very OP spawn mechanic.

Edited by Guan_Yu007

The only thing that really surprises me is the player momentum feedback. I really like when the players character feels more physically represented in the world and the current implementation feels a bit too tight and just doesn't feel right to me.

The other important ones to me are that people seem to be generally negative on the current Buddy Rally and that instadeath should come back, which is nice.

I still find it funny that a lot of people who were previously furious at the devs for making decisions and not 'listening to the community' are now pissed that the devs are doing surveys instead of following their own vision. Can't please everyone.

i think its good that they have surveys and stuff. but i hope they do not sell out the ideas they originaly had for this game.. hope the instadeath comesback now and that the buddy rally gets fixed or something. recently i have played games where only 1 or 2 fobs were put down and almost entire games was played from the rally points.

9 hours ago, zarenx said:

i think its good that they have surveys and stuff. but i hope they do not sell out the ideas they originaly had for this game.. hope the instadeath comesback now and that the buddy rally gets fixed or something. recently i have played games where only 1 or 2 fobs were put down and almost entire games was played from the rally points.

Most of the ideas in this game are nor originally form SQUAD. Maybe only persistant ammo which is great, and Buddy rally which ruins the game. 90% of the game is inspired in PR. They just made a comercial quicker pace arcade version of PR.

At the moment, the only thing that interests me in Squad is flying helos, and I'll wait to see how that turns out. I'm not fond of the direction it's taken. 

Not a PR vet fwiw. 

For me, the arcade and casual drift that Squad took from v13 is fundamentally due to the drastic changes to the soldier's movement. Much more than the various Buddy Rally and Death Death (which I also hate and don't want them, mind you).

I keep playing (though less) and I still love Squad. But there is nothing to do ... I no longer have the same feeling as 5 months ago. Now everything is faster, immediate, less tactical. One is spawn and runs, runs and still runs, zigzagging dodging the bullets, the suppression has become ridiculous, indeed, there is not really (apart from the vehicles), the inertia and the "weight" of the soldier no longer exist. Now you can run at full speed, turn 180 degrees and take headshots in less than a second (the competitive will be satisfied now).

It is no longer the Squad of 5 months ago and unfortunately the road is now drawn (by the devs). I think it's hard to come back.

Edited by Tmac

The longer squad goes into arcade, the less active unhappy hardcore players bother to sound it, the more happy arcade players approving it.

85% approval rate is higher than in many despotic countries, there's no motivation to go back.

Funnily, approval rates of despotic countries don't matter just as much as this one.

Edited by paragonid

I haven’t played Squad in quite a while now and my only hope is that modding will make it the spiritual successor of PR, which it was supposed to be in the first place.

Btw, the latest version of Post Scriptum has a feel much closer to PR than Squad does so I suggest you guys try it.

On 9/22/2019 at 11:45 AM, RB79BALL said:

The moment I realised that I am in the minority....

I agree i feel the same way.

I could swear my life on 90% of people hating buddy really thing.

Edited by Bahrein

1 hour ago, Bahrein said:

I agree i feel the same way.

I could swear my life on 90% of people hating buddy really thing.

I imagine most of the hardcore players you mostly play with dislike it. Most of the more casual players just dont care and approve anything the game does.

As a supporter from kickstarter , i'm so disapointed when The Dev changed their vision of the game to arcady, i love old squad, i love squad alpha v1-12 ,i thought squad will be my dream game , but now my dream is over and so sad about the dev not care supporters from kickstarter. I have backed 100usd for my dream game but now?? it's over.

1 hour ago, Daddy-Baby said:

As a supporter from kickstarter , i'm so disapointed when The Dev changed their vision of the game to arcady, i love old squad, i love squad alpha v1-12 ,i thought squad will be my dream game , but now my dream is over and so sad about the dev not care supporters from kickstarter. I have backed 100usd for my dream game but now?? it's over.

V9 is almost as casual as V13-15. Maybe even more, since there was no real weapon sway.

And prior to persistent ammo people built FOB:s inside buildings and blocked all the entrances with Hescos. With an unlimited amount of ammo it was no problem to just sit inside and kill anyone that manage to get inside. Things can be tweaked and changed, but the game improves with every version.

10 hours ago, Pluto is a planet said:

Things can be tweaked and changed, but the game improves with every version.

No. The game gets more content with each version, but more content does not necessarily mean the game is better. The last few major updates brought more gamebreaking "features" than we ever had before and radically changed how Squad plays for the worse.

Do not mistake content for progress, they are not even remotely equal.

Your personal opinion isnt an objective truth, if you dont like the changes - too bad, but thats only your opinion.If i say that i think the game have improved, then that opinion is just as valid as yours.

36 minutes ago, Pluto is a planet said:

Your personal opinion isnt an objective truth, if you dont like the changes - too bad, but thats only your opinion.If i say that i think the game have improved, then that opinion is just as valid as yours.

You are right.

But, he is not the only one who thinks that. And if you pay attention to the profiles commenting here, you will see that most are very active people in the forums and in the game. Most have been here for a while and they all mention something similar. The pattern is that there is a "drift towards arcade". And that is not subjective. It´s not objectively bad or good. But the fact that the game has become more arcade is that, a fact. One might like it or dislike it. But no one can deny it.

What is the last nail on the coffin for people who think that SQUAD has alienated the original player base is the RIDICULOUSLY FUNNY interpretation of surveys. I know many people like myself, who havent played in months, and we havent participated in the survey, and the devs decide to ignore that and take into account the opinion of people with 20 hours into the game, who have no idea what the game was like without Buddy rally for example. And they take the results of a survey as an accurate indicator of how the game is doing...¿? They are making money...GREAT...cool. Good for them. They already have my money,....they cant get anything else from me, so they decide to ignore what the original backers and original player base have to say. They can just keep drifting towards the money.

Bottom line. Whether you like the game or not is subjective. The phenomena of original player base leaving the game or playing with resentment and dissappointment is A FACT.

If you doubt my arguments then ask yourself (IN ALL HONESTY) this question:

WHERE DOES BUDDY RALLY COME FROM???

The answer to this question is key to understand how SQUAD drifted to arcade and sales went up.

A quick synopsis:

1. New mechanics got introduced, significantly changing the way Squad played
  2. Part of the community opposed the changes, to no avail
  3. People unsatisfied with the direction of the game eventually started leaving
  4. Squad gradually gained new players, whom would have been deterred by the more unforgiving mechanics the game had before the aforementioned changes took place
  5. Once most of the people disappointed with the changes have been driven away, let's make a survey to confirm what we already know - the new community is happy with the changes
  6. Show the community how most of them agree with the game's direction

The devs got more sales and a more agreeable player base, awesome. Anyone with a double digit amount of brain cells can see that this whole process was pretty much the opposite of what listening to customer feedback looks like - first make changes, whoever doesn't like them can leave, those who are left will be the ones that agree with us.

The marketer in me is excited to watch how this approach will pan out for OWI. The players have already started to leave again, let's see how many v16 brings back and if the seesaw can be kept in motion.

Edited by MultiSquid