Geebus

Improving Fireteams

Ever since fire teams were added to the game, I have seen very few squad leads using them for more than additional spotters. Seldom do you see the SL assigning people to separate elements. In the rare few chances that I have had where a squad lead assigns these roles, I've found that it it can be difficult to spot the fire team lead on both the map and by the name above their head. The chevron doesn't seem like enough.

I believe that the fire team lead should gain a marker above their head and on the map that is similar to the squad lead's colored circle. Instead of the squad's number being inside the circle the letter and color of the fire team would be there. This, I would hope, would keep the fire teams together much better than the current markers.

I would love to hear the opinions of people that use the fire team system more for its intended roll.

I have seen this sometimes, and also tried myself to use it as intendet (at least as I think it`s intendet).

And I run in the exact same problems...

for me this would be QoL:

As SL I`m wasting my time searching for this little chevron on the map... I want just a big colored blob like the other SLs have, just instead the number with his letter.

I dont think that I would confuse a purpel colored big point with an "B" for another SL.

If I`m in a FT i want to se my FTL as a 3D Mark if i look around.

ATM there is the message "Fireteam "XY" has been updated"

Why not " You have been promoted to FTL "XY" or "You are now in Fireteam "XY"

plus: when I try to organize my FTs via drag and drop i would apriciate if the drop window would open next to the list of Squadmember not on top, so i can see the FT composition while i drag.

Fireteam with purple text on grey is unreadable on my system. 1920x1080 27"

Fireteam coms has been suggested....i think it would need a switch instead of a new button though.

Instead of fireteams I would implement the whole thing as sub squads which can be linked to any radio channel.

Eg

Squad 1 is 4 players INF + SL

Squad 1a is 3 players INF

Squad 1b is 2 players VIC

All these count toward the same squad setup and limitations. Separating them into a new squad makes them become Squad 2 and resets kit restrictions.

The menu shows a click and drag link, imagine patching a radio.

Drag 1a and 1b onto main squad and they become linked by radio to all coms on main squad channel. Drag a link to break it, they are in the squad still and they are separate from other sub squads other but can still hear the SL.

Another example:

Using this method you can connect other vic squads/fireteams into groups so your squad can keep the apc but allow it to be in direct coms with other vics.

13 hours ago, suds said:

Fireteam with purple text on grey is unreadable on my system. 1920x1080 27"

Fireteam coms has been suggested....i think it would need a switch instead of a new button though.

Instead of fireteams I would implement the whole thing as sub squads which can be linked to any radio channel.

Eg

Squad 1 is 4 players INF + SL

Squad 1a is 3 players INF

Squad 1b is 2 players VIC

All these count toward the same squad setup and limitations. Separating them into a new squad makes them become Squad 2 and resets kit restrictions.

The menu shows a click and drag link, imagine patching a radio.

Drag 1a and 1b onto main squad and they become linked by radio to all coms on main squad channel. Drag a link to break it, they are in the squad still and they are separate from other sub squads other but can still hear the SL.

Another example:

Using this method you can connect other vic squads/fireteams into groups so your squad can keep the apc but allow it to be in direct coms with other vics.

It sounds good on one hand but wouldn't work well with the constantly growing player base of the game. The system you propose would only really work in a clan type scenario where the players know how to play the game. It may add a great amount of flexibility to the team, but most squads nowadays are made up of maybe 3-4 players that are experienced at the most where the rest is either brand new or have played a few rounds a patch or two back. The added flexibility doesn't do much if no one knows how to use it best. At that point it is more accurate to call it added complexity. Things need to stay relatively simple for all the newbies coming in.  If there is a bunch of inexperienced players with access to team comms it will get clogged up with useless info and become useless.

I'm not to big a fan of fire team comms either. I feel that this would lead to just having smaller sub divided squads. With topics like this it is a good idea to think of how the proposed system can be used other than its intended purpose. Most people suggest fire team comms to help the squad channel from becoming too congested. If this is the case the solution is on the squad lead or other experienced players to quiet things down. Fire team members should never be so far apart that they cannot talk in local chat. Its not necessary to implement a change for something that could be fixed in game.

other ideas...

what if the SL channel was fireteam only for anyone who wasnt a squad leader?

OR

Make local voice volume radius larger for anyone in your fireteam.

Would like FT leaders tobe able to remove marks too. 

In addition to that I thought it would be nice if Fire Team members could communicate with "G" within their FIreteams. you would get clean coms in your squad and the fire teams can use their local voip and fire team radio communication

Edited by LoxFFM
Typo

Also the orders the SL give to a fireteam should not remove the markers the FTL has set and vice versa. That way the SL can give the FTL a grand objective but the FTL can micromanage the fire team more with his own markers. Also fire team voip would be awesome