So i know that btr-82s are pretty much classified as IFVs, but, correct me if im wrong, are more suited for apc role? Bradleys and above can easily dominate BTR82s as they have way lower health, and in my opinion, a worse gun. So im wondering if adding more BMP2s for each map would maybe balance things out more? What do you guys suggest?

It was the case since the beginning until too many people yelled on devs that BTR 82 were underpowered against strykers.. 

BTR’s were upgraded since around A11 with an armor plate on front and ammo upgrade (not sure). 

But BTR’s never claimed to be IFV’s. 

Let me time to look for the post which talked about it..

Edit : A13, and yes we should try to “re balance” these vehicles ..

BTR-82A & BTR-80 UPDATED

Our observations showed that standard APC of Russian Ground Forces currently had too low of a survivability rate in engagements with enemy armor. One reason we suspect is the lower level of armor and how that interacts armor penetration system works. Most of the time BTR have no chance to escape unexpected frontal engagement due to the fact that it suffers heavy damage on the engine due to the penetration of high caliber rounds to the engine.

• Upgraded all BTR models with an engine protection plate, that should prevent it from suffering an instant mobility kill from frontal fire.
  • Reduced BTR-82A Spawn time from 12 minutes to 10 minutes.
  • Increased Autocannon HE Splash damage & blast radius
  • Increased 30mm splash radius to 7.5 meters (from 5.5 meters).
  • Increased BTR82A / MTLB 30mm AP cannon damage output by 20%.
  • Increased the damage output of Russian 2A72 30mm autocannon, equipped on BTR-82A and MTLB 6MA by 20%. (250 to 300)
  • Increased the BTR82A/MTLB 30mm autocannon overheating time, which will allow a continuous fire to be outputted for up to 10 seconds. (Previously 5 seconds.)
  • These changes should increase the Russian Ground Forces offensive capabilities to help them to deal with the better-armored enemy counterparts like M1126s. But make no mistake, the BTR80 & BTR82A primary role is still transporting and supporting infantry and should only be engaging superior Infantry Fighting Vehicles like the US M2A3 as a last resort.
  • In a future update, we plan to add the proper IFV for the Russian Ground Forces, in the form of well known BMP family of vehicles.

Edited by Furlings

The most important improvement was the overheating time. Before you cold never kill a stryker without having to wait for the gun to cool down at leas once. Which usually meant that the stryker killed you. A BTR-82 should be superior to the Stryker since they have roughly equal armor but the 30mm gun is vastly more powerful than a 50 cal. Before the upgrades the BTR could only deal with MRAPS and Russian forces had no chance of winning the vehicle engagements.

But there are ways to deal with the balance. We have a lot of different BTR and MTLB versions in the game and the BTR-82 could be replaced with the BTR-80 for example.

APC/IFV is also not really a relevant term in the game since neither of them is transporting troops or works as infantry support. Vehicles generally operates on their own with little coordination with infantry squads.

Strykers definetly no problem dealing with. But the BTR-82 is classified as a IFV according to the in game legend. Bradleys are definetly more superior when it comes to facing BTR82s as they have much much better armor, and better weaponry, and are also classified as a IFV. So what my point is, either add more BMP2s, where BTR82s make up most Russian IFVs, or buff it enough to be able to face them, though in my opinion, are more suited for APC action and should therefore classify as an APC

On 9/7/2019 at 5:15 AM, Furlings said:

It was the case since the beginning until too many people yelled on devs that BTR 82 were underpowered against strykers.. 

BTR’s were upgraded since around A11 with an armor plate on front and ammo upgrade (not sure). 

But BTR’s never claimed to be IFV’s. 

Let me time to look for the post which talked about it..

Edit : A13, and yes we should try to “re balance” these vehicles ..

BTR-82A & BTR-80 UPDATED

Our observations showed that standard APC of Russian Ground Forces currently had too low of a survivability rate in engagements with enemy armor. One reason we suspect is the lower level of armor and how that interacts armor penetration system works. Most of the time BTR have no chance to escape unexpected frontal engagement due to the fact that it suffers heavy damage on the engine due to the penetration of high caliber rounds to the engine.

• Upgraded all BTR models with an engine protection plate, that should prevent it from suffering an instant mobility kill from frontal fire.
  • Reduced BTR-82A Spawn time from 12 minutes to 10 minutes.
  • Increased Autocannon HE Splash damage & blast radius
  • Increased 30mm splash radius to 7.5 meters (from 5.5 meters).
  • Increased BTR82A / MTLB 30mm AP cannon damage output by 20%.
  • Increased the damage output of Russian 2A72 30mm autocannon, equipped on BTR-82A and MTLB 6MA by 20%. (250 to 300)
  • Increased the BTR82A/MTLB 30mm autocannon overheating time, which will allow a continuous fire to be outputted for up to 10 seconds. (Previously 5 seconds.)
  • These changes should increase the Russian Ground Forces offensive capabilities to help them to deal with the better-armored enemy counterparts like M1126s. But make no mistake, the BTR80 & BTR82A primary role is still transporting and supporting infantry and should only be engaging superior Infantry Fighting Vehicles like the US M2A3 as a last resort.
  • In a future update, we plan to add the proper IFV for the Russian Ground Forces, in the form of well known BMP family of vehicles.

Vehicle components were not even a thing in V11. The BTR-82A got nerfed to shit in V12. There's also no denying the bradley's gun is superior.

The problem that squad has with vehicles is that currently it feels like heaver vehicles like the Bradley and for some reason the stryker take a huge amount of damage to take out. As of recent me and my friend would constantly get out traded by strykers in a BTR-82 and we also got wrecked by a Bradley in our BMP2 despite us getting multiple side shots into the enemy only for him to face forward hit us with a TOW and fire a couple of rounds. Its feels as if the game is slowly becoming more and more casual. Its a shame that the devs refuse to add more module damage to vehicles because honestly vehicles shouldn't be about balance and should be more about its pros and cons. But I have some hope that someone will eventually make a mod on the workshop that would greatly improve vehicle combat.

21 hours ago, DesertFoxXLV said:

The problem that squad has with vehicles is that currently it feels like heaver vehicles like the Bradley and for some reason the stryker take a huge amount of damage to take out. As of recent me and my friend would constantly get out traded by strykers in a BTR-82 and we also got wrecked by a Bradley in our BMP2 despite us getting multiple side shots into the enemy only for him to face forward hit us with a TOW and fire a couple of rounds. Its feels as if the game is slowly becoming more and more casual. Its a shame that the devs refuse to add more module damage to vehicles because honestly vehicles shouldn't be about balance and should be more about its pros and cons. But I have some hope that someone will eventually make a mod on the workshop that would greatly improve vehicle combat.

You are absolutely right, they should add a more sophisticated vehicle models, like ammo detonation, gun barrel and breech damage, and maybe crew knock out. This could mean that vehicles are used more sparingly, and serve more of a true purpose rather then just rushing into a objective while tanking a few RPG shots or just downright getting blown up to vastly superior vehicles. And would generally feel more realistic, and less casual.

The real problem is that people need to learn how to use these vehicles more effectively. Something like a BTR shouldn't be used for anti vehicle. Neither should it roam around the map looking for kills. It should focus on anti infantry where it can stomp unaware enemies. Its sole purpose should be to transport a squad to an objective then to support said squad. Most vehicle engagements of (roughly) equal vehicles are cheesy at this point as most crews choose to sit and tank the damage while firing instead of falling back then attacking from a different approach. This for sure leads to one of the vehicles dead and the other very heavily damaged. Not very useful for the squad if your transport has to RTB after every engagement.

On 9/9/2019 at 11:39 AM, daniboyrulez said:

You are absolutely right, they should add a more sophisticated vehicle models, like ammo detonation, gun barrel and breech damage, and maybe crew knock out. This could mean that vehicles are used more sparingly, and serve more of a true purpose rather then just rushing into a objective while tanking a few RPG shots or just downright getting blown up to vastly superior vehicles. And would generally feel more realistic, and less casual.

There for sure needs to be more module damaged added to the game. Things like turrets drives and crews being killed by penetrations are a must have to get rid of the arcadey health bar style the game currently has. If a BTR with a 30 gets the first shots on a Bradley, it should be able to kill it if the rounds penetrate the crew compartment. The turret shouldn't just swing around and kill the BTR because its health only dropped by 10 percent.

On 9/8/2019 at 3:03 PM, DesertFoxXLV said:

The bradley should and is better than the BTR-82/A they are dramatically different vehicles and the Bradley has better armor.

On 9/9/2019 at 12:39 PM, daniboyrulez said:

Some vehicles though should easily be able to tank things like RPG's especially from the front, like tanks. 

On 9/23/2019 at 7:41 AM, nagasuru said:

The bradley should and is better than the BTR-82/A they are dramatically different vehicles and the Bradley has better armor.

Just because one is an IFV and the other is an APC doesn't mean that the Bradley is better by default. Besides, the Bradley is mostly composed of aluminium so saying that it has better armor isn't saying much.

On 9/8/2019 at 2:03 PM, DesertFoxXLV said:

They were given artifically more HP:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12GB74o-tP37D2o5iVZJQ4MXTlievUXG0g3GD5vA98Eo/edit#gid=0

More problems here:

Also, if you don't start the engagement with ATGM on BMP-2, why even live?

Edited by EcchiRevenge

On 2019-09-18 at 4:27 AM, Geebus said:

The real problem is that people need to learn how to use these vehicles more effectively. Something like a BTR shouldn't be used for anti vehicle. Neither should it roam around the map looking for kills. It should focus on anti infantry where it can stomp unaware enemies. Its sole purpose should be to transport a squad to an objective then to support said squad. Most vehicle engagements of (roughly) equal vehicles are cheesy at this point as most crews choose to sit and tank the damage while firing instead of falling back then attacking from a different approach. This for sure leads to one of the vehicles dead and the other very heavily damaged. Not very useful for the squad if your transport has to RTB after every engagement.

There for sure needs to be more module damaged added to the game. Things like turrets drives and crews being killed by penetrations are a must have to get rid of the arcadey health bar style the game currently has. If a BTR with a 30 gets the first shots on a Bradley, it should be able to kill it if the rounds penetrate the crew compartment. The turret shouldn't just swing around and kill the BTR because its health only dropped by 10 percent.

That’s what I’m trying to get at, BTR82s should never have to face Bradley’s, but some times they are forced to, because some Russian teams lacks any proper IFVs, and since Squad classifies the BTR82 as an IFV,  they get stopped by them. 1 BMP-2 and 2 BTR-82s is in most cases no match for 3 Bradley’s. So that being said, it would be more useful if the other team had something on par with the BTR82 if they would have to face off. And make Bradley’s vs BMP-2s more common to help balance things out