Sign in to follow this  
Zylfrax791

British Faction Bulldog

For all intents and purposes this thing is completely worthless within the gameplay of Squad. There isn't a single map its in where it actually has a defined purpose other than littering the landscape with its burned out husks.

Pros: none

Cons:

*Noisier than a Monster Truck Rally - people hear you leaving main from across the map...

* Slower than a bread truck - useless for any kind of group transportation as the match will be over before your squad reaches its destination...

* Maneuverability of a skateboard on an ice rink covered in beef lard - this doddering old girl has to stay on roads as any kind of ditch, log or incline gets it stuck...

* Paper mache armor - pretty much takes damage from kids with slingshots...

* Wider than the Grand Canyon - ends up getting caught on pretty much anything that sticks out near the road...

* Gunner protection sucks - Gunner gets shot out basically on departure from main or soon thereafter...

My vote is replace it with something actually useful or a different version that  maybe has the 30mm cannon. Or just simply remove it and put more transport trucks in the maps.

I will agree the gunner gets shot out far too easy, would be interested in seeing how many gunners Get taken down IRL Maybe a knocked back to a passenger seat instead of killed might be a good addition.  

With regard to armour its very much what it get hits by, the SPG and above Crucifixes it, were as the RPG's are less effective.  1 mine only tracks it which makes it a better asset to delivering troops than a logi. It's good for getting to enemy habs and deactivating them. Personally I like it, but wouldn't be adverse to a faster APC. Think that the more 30mm's we have just encourages to use them more as IFV's , less on working with infantry squads. (exceptions do apply).

Would like to see transport truck requestable by SL at main.

The main problem with the Bulldog is that it has constantly been bugged to hell since it's addition to the game.

First it's low hull mixed with the traction issues that have mostly been fixed meant it would get stuck on any loose props on the ground. Now it's acceleration is broken and it can't change gears properly.

The performance problems it has now are all things that can be fixed. In reality the FV432 can go up to 70km/h (according to wiki), it's definitely not doing that at the moment. The armour, sound and maneuverability are also values that can and should be tweaked.

The gunner exposure is the biggest problem with using the vehicle. That being said, I think it is important to keep some vehicle variants with limited efficiency, such as the two MRAP M2 variants.

Like the MRAP it would be nice to have a Bulldog variant with a RCWS, and it seems like some Bulldogs used by British engineers do use them:

uk-apc-bulldog-002.jpg

44 minutes ago, Stom said:

That being said, I think it is important to keep some vehicle variants with limited efficiency, such as the two MRAP M2 variants.

I agree. That particular MRAP can get you quickly and quietly behind enemy lines going cross country where you could get a rally down for the team and possibly engage a few infantry or poach a Logi or two though. However, the Bulldog doesn't have a single redeeming feature that you could utilize within the framework of the game to do anything of the sort. Not one. That's why they mostly sit at Main and cause a disparity in any map they're in. Especially that one layer Russia vs. Brits on Kohat.

Like I said before their only current use is basically for noobs to create battlefield scenery with their scattered burning smoking husks strewn about the map.

20 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

I agree. That particular MRAP can get you quickly and quietly behind enemy lines going cross country where you could get a rally down for the team and possibly engage a few infantry or poach a Logi or two though. However, the Bulldog doesn't have a single redeeming feature that you could utilize within the framework of the game to do anything of the sort. Not one. That's why they mostly sit at Main and cause a disparity in any map they're in. Especially that one layer Russia vs. Brits on Kohat.

Like I said before their only current use is basically for noobs to create battlefield scenery with their scattered burning smoking husks strewn about the map.

I agree that's the case with their current implementation but most of the biggest issues of the vehicle can be fixed and aren't inherent.

Never used them, only remember them being quite resilient to rpg fire. Not that it matters with an open turret.

As @Smee said, only useful if you wanna deactivate a hab, else best left in main.

Just need to tweak it, and add RCWS\CROWS instead open top M2 MG, it should be pretty good on armor and much faster and easy to control

something like that

The armor is great for an APC. Its on par with   he warrior, and can't be damaged from 30mm hardly. The biggest problem is it requires two crewmen for a vehicle that doesn't warrant crewman from a gameplay perspective.

The gun can be used in conjuction with infantry support. Useful for pinning down entrenched enemies and buildings as infantry close in. You need an optic close by to deal with snipers. Thankfully the Brits have lots of those ;)

As said elsewhere, a better ducking function in turrets would be welcome to increase survivability after that first shot rings in.

I've found this vehicle to be quite useful myself, it's decent for mechanized infantry assaults. It has a lot of armour so LATs dont do that much in my experience, the open top gun is only an issue if you go straight into urban areas where it's easy to be outflanked. If you stay back like 100m, and let the infantry advance, then it's usually quite good.