Imortaldragonx

Topographical Map Suggestion

I just think that a topographical map would enable better planning if one could know the terrain in advance before getting there as high ground is always important but it is also important to know how to get there and if your position is being overlooked by somewhere else I just think that most maps can do it and it would be useful so why not.

hey mate, welcome aboard.

Topo maps have been a subject for awhile now and there is a fair bit of discussion going on.

do a search for "topo" for a few more threads on the idea.

i personally hope they become a thing, at least as a map-view option.

1 hour ago, Imortaldragonx said:

I just think that a topographical map would enable better planning if one could know the terrain in advance before getting there as high ground is always important but it is also important to know how to get there and if your position is being overlooked by somewhere else I just think that most maps can do it and it would be useful so why not.

All of my shaded relief topographical maps are available on the Wiki under each map heading. If you have another monitor you can just have it open there.

https://squad.gamepedia.com/File:YehorivkaTopoRelief.jpg

They are somewhat plain at this point so I may improve them into proper topomaps with roads and rivers etc.

14 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

All of my shaded relief topographical maps are available on the Wiki under each map heading. If you have another monitor you can just have it open there.

https://squad.gamepedia.com/File:YehorivkaTopoRelief.jpg

These are great, thanks Zylf! Out of curiosity, what's the workflow to create this? Does UE4 have a DEM function? Or is it an aerial of a retextured & relighted original?

Edited by pinko

1 hour ago, pinko said:

These are great, thanks Zylf! Out of curiosity, what's the workflow to create this? Does UE4 have a DEM function? Or is it an aerial of a retextured & relighted original?

The heightmap is exported from the SDK then imported into World Creator 2. Topographical view is enabled, all the color nodes are changed to a light green, line spacing is adjusted to where I think it looks good then both a grayscale relief image and a topographic are exported as PNG files. Then I drag the relief image into GIMP, drag the topo image over the top, reduce opacity to around 50% then export.

I just started yet another thread about how Squad needs topo maps, and I was pointed here.  And, see!  I was right!  With just a glance at that single Yehorivka example topo I already learned something!  What is that big pit to the west of the airfield?  I'm going to go find out.  And I'm already picking out great potential overlook positions to investigate.

Damn, Squad needs topo maps.

EDIT- But I now see why the devs might be hesitant.  The topos reveal just how amateurish some of their earlier maps were- Al Basra being an obvious example.  But on the other hand the later maps are outstanding!  They obviously started putting them through some sort of algorithmic weathering or something- here Sumari is an obvious example.

But they don't really need to worry.  You wouldn't see anything at all on the Al Basra map if standard 20-meter contour lines are used.

Edited by DualFlameBane

On 1/11/2020 at 6:45 PM, DualFlameBane said:

I just started yet another thread about how Squad needs topo maps, and I was pointed here.  And, see!  I was right!  With just a glance at that single Yehorivka example topo I already learned something!  What is that big pit to the west of the airfield?  I'm going to go find out.  And I'm already picking out great potential overlook positions to investigate.

EDIT- But I now see why the devs might be hesitant.  The topos reveal just how amateurish some of their earlier maps were- Al Basra being an obvious example.  But on the other hand the later maps are outstanding!  They obviously started putting them through some sort of algorithmic weathering or something- here Sumari is an obvious example.

But they don't really need to worry.  You wouldn't see anything at all on the Al Basra map if standard 20-meter contour lines are used.

:| For a game shooting for more realism, I consider the maps not being topographical to start with to be far more amateurish than the level design ever will be. The whole time I'm thinking they already were topo maps to some degree, yet this is just yet another example of game developers these days never failing to disappoint me. How does one possibly miss something like this? What the hell happened to attention to detail in game design for crying out loud?  smfh

Edited by Jibroni Gibironi

On 1/12/2020 at 12:45 PM, DualFlameBane said:

Al Basrah was originally a map created by modders(ChanceBrah & Assi) who eventually were hired on as Devs/QA. A lot of the buildings were custom made by them, and the layout was inspired by both the PR map and the actual location in reality.

A lot of Squad maps are being updated to bring them up to standard, as we have seen over the past year. It's possible some of the older out-dated maps might get a touch up to bring them up to current standard. Logar Valley is a prime example, that map was supposed to never receive another update years ago, as it was the first map made for Squad and essentially was a test project - many years later it has had it's layout updated multiple times, and recently got a terrain and foliage overhaul - So Al Basrah could be a possibility.

Only issue is working on Al Basrah would take a lot of time due to the amount of buildings involved. 

Topo maps have been discussed a lot, and has been a topic amongst the devs for a long time. Here's the most recent quotes from Developers regarding Topo maps.

We're looking into it, though it's proving harder than expected to do well. (Which... is probably something any cartographer could have mentioned.)

Not only is making them useful a trick, but the map is also apparently a bit of a resource hog due to having to be a large resolution image that's always available to the player. (Note: Not a technical person, so maybe oversimplifying. =))

Do agree that it would be a helpful addition and we'll continue to poke. (Some community members have also been dabbling, though not quite to a modding level yet.)

Unreal engine doesn't natively support vector graphics unfortunately. We'd rather not have baked topo maps, as they would need to be rebaked with every change to the terrain, and could actually end up taking up more memory than a classic heightmap. The best solution we've settled on is to use heightmaps with a shader that converts them to a topo overlay, but as of yet we haven't had the free dev time to impliment them.

"Unreal engine doesn't natively support vector graphics unfortunately."

ZOMG! how i wish it did though  :(

Edited by LaughingJack

Not perse topo maps, but it would be a big help to see some more basic information on terrain. Like where forests are and what their layouts are. Right now it is hard to make a distinction between fields and forests on the tactical map or where good possible overview positions are because there are no heightlines.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, [TP]Behr said:

Not perse topo maps, but it would be a big help to see some more basic information on terrain. Like where forests are and what their layouts are. Right now it is hard to make a distinction between fields and forests on the tactical map or where good possible overview positions are because there are no heightlines.

I agree, right now the maps look more like a child scribbled on a paper with crayons, very childish, amateurish. 

Edited by Jibroni Gibironi