recently i've been back playing and i have noticed that you lose about half your health from falling from a wall. Not sure if it's that realistic but I'm pretty sure you can't die from a 2 story fall. what do you guys reckon

- beasty

4 hours ago, beastyau said:

recently i've been back playing and i have noticed that you lose about half your health from falling from a wall. Not sure if it's that realistic but I'm pretty sure you can't die from a 2 story fall. what do you guys reckon

- beasty

Wikipedia says a story is around 14 feet. So yeah, I'm pretty sure a 28 foot fall would fracture most of your bones and cause a massive brain hemorrhage resulting in a permanent dirt nap. Bleeding in Squad starts at around 5-6  feet if I recall. Considering your virtual avatar has around 70lbs. of gear on the simulated fall damage sounds correct. Just be careful and remember its not Quake.

We could certainly do some things to improve intuitiveness of the falling. Currently its a simple damage value, you start taking damage at about 7 feet, which is quite lenient when it comes to RL. We could consider down the road, along with getting hurt, player could get ragdolled or have a large screenshake when they hit the ground.

We dont want to incentive players any more than we already have with the extreme ease of climbing, so we wont be decreasing the amount of damage anytime soon, but having different ways to show the player that jumping has consequences is in the plans but lower priority.

One of the most common injuries in military infantry units(especially longer term) is knees, ankles, foot injury.

One of our devs just recently sprang into action to rescue someone from drowning here in Vancouver. he had a 12 foot drop - this shattered one ankle and dislocated and broke the other... this was with zero load bearing gear on as well... instantly crippling his ability to weight bear.

Falling from any height aint a joke, 2 stories would be absolutely crippling with load bearing gear... you my or may not die instantly depending on what body parts you land on, but you will most definitely not be combat effective or walking for that matter...

I don't mind taking damage from long drops. Make the damage related to the height. I do object to bleed.

It would be nice to have an audio response to that damage along with a visual reaction like suppression. Again they should be relative to the amount of damage taken. A nice yelp and short lived suppression for minor damage and a cry in pain and almost blackout for high fall damage. 

I woudln't test your theory by jumping out of a two story building if I were you. 

Falling to the ground like when a team member deceides to run you over with a car, is a nice addition to falling from first floor stuff or a bit higher.

And indeed get rid of the bleeding.