My primary reason for this suggestion is to remove static mortars entirely. This is due to the negative impact they so often have on the over all team by way of tying up resources i.e logi trucks, manpower (often a full squad when it's coupled with a superfob), and radio exclusion area.

However, for all you mortar fans, I am also suggesting adding even more mortars to the game.

So firstly, I suggest that infantry mortars be added. Typically a man-portable 50-60mm (M224, M6, RM-38 etc) mortar and give them about 10 rounds (subject to balance, refillable from ammo bags). These can be used in a squad push and can be effectively ordered and directed by that teams own squad leader. This creates stronger team work between SL and mortar man and will lead to faster engagement times and overall more effective mortar support at the squad level.

Secondly, add vehicle mortars (81-120mm). This adds the punch back to mortar support and re fills the map wide/team wide mortar support capacity while also being more flexible in that they can rapidly redeploy when the front pushes out of range or the enemy gets too close.

Also most of the existing vehicle mortars in the real world are variants of vehicles we already have in game i.e BTR (Nona SVK), LAV (LAV-M), Stryker (MC), make shift technicals for the Militia/Insurgents could be made (similar to the rocket arty technical).

Both types of mortar support that are called for in Squad are covered by these two options, that being smoke/barrage just before a push and fire for destruction of emplacements/HAB. All done with greater flexibility and with out tying up valuable resources, and I would argue being more enjoyable and rewarding those playing the mortar roles.

Posted (edited)

IMO, I think it would be better to maybe make it a kit, but even then thats pretty lack luster for a mortar.

I would keep the current mortars, make them cheaper but take more ammo (50-100 per volley). Allow teams to build light/medium howitzers that have a set minimum range with a much larger blast area but huge cost to fire. (100 per shot just like Emplacement AT or more) and finally have similar to M109 that can take out armor longer ranges/objectives.

Though, I think mobile Howitzers would be bad for the game until helos come out (or even jets) for precision strikes. 

The higher ammunition values would force a team to make sure their fire support needs to be well supplied.

Edited by Snake Plissken

If we started taking weapons out of the game simply because people didn't use them properly there wouldn't be much of a game left to play. And just because somebody doesn't realize it only takes two players with a 2700/300 Logi to create an effective mortar of which you have 8 minutes or less of firing time before they get discovered and killed doesn't mean we should get rid of them either.

I always like the idea of adding more weapons to the game however honestly I'd much rather see the lethality and range of the existing mortar's increased dramatically. They're only at about a 1/3 of their real range and destructive power.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

I always like the idea of adding more weapons to the game however honestly I'd much rather see the lethality and range of the existing mortar's increased dramatically. They're only at about a 1/3 of their real range and destructive power.

I'd be cool with this if we increased cost of the mortar. Good balance and all that.

Edited by Snake Plissken

1 minute ago, Snake Plissken said:

I'd be cool with this if we increased cost of the mortar. Good balance and all that.

Yeah, agreed. As it stands now HE rounds are basically nothing more than background battle ambience. The smoke rounds are useful but thats about it.

4 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Yeah, agreed. As it stands now HE rounds are basically nothing more than background battle ambience. The smoke rounds are useful but thats about it.

Yeah Mortar lethality is a joke. Not IRL though. 

9 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

If we started taking weapons out of the game simply because people didn't use them properly there wouldn't be much of a game left to play. And just because somebody doesn't realize it only takes two players with a 2700/300 Logi to create an effective mortar of which you have 8 minutes or less of firing time before they get discovered and killed doesn't mean we should get rid of them either.

The aim is not to take away weapons some can't use well, it's to reduce asset waste that goes along with it. The people taking infantry mortars or mortar vehicles may still be bad at it, but it's not costing anything else on top.

7 hours ago, Trauma said:

The aim is not to take away weapons some can't use well, it's to reduce asset waste that goes along with it. The people taking infantry mortars or mortar vehicles may still be bad at it, but it's not costing anything else on top.

Players waste assets in many more creative ways than simply dropping down a simple mortar. Most recently it's players in RAAS taking all the Logis and dropping multiple useless FOB/HAB's on the east side of the map when all the flags end up being on the west side. Now everyone is completely out of position and noobs keep spawning on them and walking two kilometers because they don't know any better so your team eventually loses the match. So logically we should remove FOB's then right?

On 8/17/2019 at 11:23 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

Players waste assets in many more creative ways than simply dropping down a simple mortar. Most recently it's players in RAAS taking all the Logis and dropping multiple useless FOB/HAB's on the east side of the map when all the flags end up being on the west side. Now everyone is completely out of position and noobs keep spawning on them and walking two kilometers because they don't know any better so your team eventually loses the match. So logically we should remove FOB's then right?

This is like the old argument that if you can't stop it all then do nothing. This suggestion is aimed at addressing one are of poor design, maybe RAAS is simply another.

16 hours ago, Phoenixstorm said:

How about: mobile (light) mortar and static (heavy) mortar ?

As much as I would like to see infantry mortars, the main point of my suggestion is to remove static mortars.

On 8/16/2019 at 3:18 PM, Snake Plissken said:

IMO, I think it would be better to maybe make it a kit, but even then thats pretty lack luster for a mortar.

I would keep the current mortars, make them cheaper but take more ammo (50-100 per volley). Allow teams to build light/medium howitzers that have a set minimum range with a much larger blast area but huge cost to fire. (100 per shot just like Emplacement AT or more) and finally have similar to M109 that can take out armor longer ranges/objectives.

Though, I think mobile Howitzers would be bad for the game until helos come out (or even jets) for precision strikes. 

The higher ammunition values would force a team to make sure their fire support needs to be well supplied.

Mobile howitzers minimum range is too large.:( They need to add TOS1!

On 8/19/2019 at 9:08 AM, Phoenixstorm said:

How about: mobile (light) mortar and static (heavy) mortar ?

Light portable mortars are going to be such a pain in the ass for FOB's. Currently when your getting mortared you can find and destroy the mortar fob. With portable mortars you'll have to search the whole map because they can be literally anywhere even behind you.

TOS-1 viechle should definatley be added because it has played a huge role in many conflicts. As this is a game that is comitted to potray realism. It also will be a great follow up to the recently added large maps.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOS-1 MLRS Used in Afghanistan, Chechnya, Iraq and Syria Wars...
30-220mm thermobaric rockets- launched in 6-12 seconds
200x400m ensured kill zone (in/out of shleter)
Range: 400-3,500m
Speed: 65 km/h
And even if your in a bunker or heavily armored veichle it will still kill you by sufficating you of oxygen by a vacuum.
The 3 man crew is also armed with one AKS-74, one RPKS-74, three RPG-26s, and 10 F-1 hand grenades.
Image result for tos1

NOTE! That it has a t-72 for its hull and the turret is a box with holes, so this thing will be really easy for them to CAD & add to the game. 

All they have to do is make the explosion and launch animation.

I think they should add air strikes that SL's or Commanders in the future can call in artillery air strikes. Or bombardment of large amount of area but not densely.