Sign in to follow this  
Viajero

Please consider replacing EasyAntiCheat

Maybe it is just a few of us but EAC seems to be the top culprit of a large number of issues found in the support forum (black screens of death, crashes to desktop, crashes when changing maps or connecting in middle of map change etc). In many of those cases the issue can be isolated to EAC because running the game exe manually (ie not the usual EAC game launcher) loads the game without issues.

I really think OWI should consider an alternative anti cheat system.

Edited by Viajero

it's a problem of integration, not the EAC itself (other games work fine with EAC)

in other words, it doesn't matter what anti-cheat they will use, unless it's done right, there will always be problems, might be even worse than the ones we have now
I really think OWI considered an alternative already, and we don't really need emotional not thought through suggestions

Not an emotional suggestion at all. Simply reflecting factually traceable posts in the support forum and Reddit.

Only OWI know the exact figures and context but if you do a cursory search you will find out EAC seems to be problematic for many other games not just Squad and including similar issues, black screens, crashes to desktop etc.

Edited by Viajero

I doubt they will switch considering the long partnership they have as well as the benefits of EAC basically being UE4s anti cheat system. I suppose the closer we get to release the more stable the integration will become since less of squad's code base will change as well.

5 hours ago, sgt_froug said:

I doubt they will switch considering the long partnership they have as well as the benefits of EAC basically being UE4s anti cheat system. I suppose the closer we get to release the more stable the integration will become since less of squad's code base will change as well.

Ah, fair enough, thanks. Darn then.Hope OWI / EAC /EPIC manage to fix these issues sooner rather than later.

Edited by Viajero

5 hours ago, sgt_froug said:

You're correct. Nothing "basically" about it though Epic Games has owned EAC since 2018. One thing I've noticed on my newest computer that isn't loaded down with all kinds of background processes is I haven't had a single EAC false positive or anything of that nature at all.

The Pain we have to endore for keeping those Riff-Raff's Haxos Out!. But EAC should do more.

I remember 2003 JointOps we had "PunkBuster",Had the bloody same,Kicks,BlackScreens. Seem like in 2019 things hasn't changed much.:P

1 minute ago, Viajero said:

Ah, fair enough, thanks. Darn then.Hope OWI / EAC /EPIC manage to fix these issues earlier rather than later.

Honestly, try uncluttering your computer and completely lock down all the background applications that load in background by default and see if this makes a difference.

1 minute ago, Viajero said:

Tried already a clean boot, no joy.

Weird. So no GOG, Twitch, Discord, OBS, Epic Games etc. running on startup? Just Steam and normal Windows stuff?

The other thing is unless it gives you an actual EAC pop up window how is it that you're coming to the conclusion that EAC is the actual culprit for any problems you may be having? You can't throw the baby out with the bath water. Without some form of anti-cheat the game would be unplayable.

Well, it could very well be EAC integration issues in Squad itself, as pointed out above. But the fact that running manually the squadgame.exe gives me no loading issues at all (I can obviously not join any servers after that) suggests that the issue is either with EAC itself, or with the game EAC integration elements.

Fully agree that the game needs an anti-cheat system. I am just saying EAC seems to be more problematic than your average anti-cheat. I may be obviously wrong, just my personal perception.

Edited by Viajero

42 minutes ago, Viajero said:

Well, it could very well be EAC integration issues in Squad itself, as pointed out above. But the fact that running manually the squadgame.exe gives me no loading issues at all (I can obviously not join any servers after that) suggests that the issue is either with EAC itself, or with the game EAC integration elements.

Fully agree that the game needs an anti-cheat system. I am just saying EAC seems to be more problematic than your average anti-cheat. I may be obviously wrong, just my personal perception.

Well, applying logic here it has to be something unique to your computer and my older ones because thousands of other users are playing without any problems. I do know that some users here were complaining about false positives related to Windows Magnifier so that might be something to look into. Please, you never listed your system specs, what are they?

9 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Well, applying logic here it has to be something unique to your computer and my older ones because thousands of other users are playing without any problems. I do know that some users here were complaining about false positives related to Windows Magnifier so that might be something to look into. Please, you never listed your system specs, what are they?

Could very well be my system indeed, but logic should not rule out an EAC or integration issues. Also I am hardly the only one with similar issues. Either way I much rather have OWI or EAC tell me about it. I have been in touch with both of them about these issues for over a month and they have my details, logs etc although they have not been able to find the root cause yet.

Edited by Viajero

59 minutes ago, Viajero said:

Could very well be my system indeed, but logic should not rule out an EAC or integration issues. Also I am hardly the only one with similar issues. Either way I much rather have OWI or EAC tell me about it. I have been in touch with both of them about these issues for over a month and they have my details, logs etc although they have not been able to find the root cause yet.

Interesting. I was just trying politely to make a sincere effort to help you get fragging again by offering suggestions that helped me with my old computer. Clearly after over a month nobody from either OWI or EAC is able to "tell you about it" otherwise you wouldn't be here asking to have EAC replaced right?

Good luck.

9 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Interesting. I was just trying politely to make a sincere effort to help you get fragging again by offering suggestions that helped me with my old computer. Clearly after over a month nobody from either OWI or EAC is able to "tell you about it" otherwise you wouldn't be here asking to have EAC replaced right?

Good luck.

I appreciate the offer for help but this is not the thread for that. This one was. Following that exchange I submitted a ticket with both OWI and EAC mid July (with no happy results so far, sadly, but we have not given up).

The goal of this thread was clearly to make a suggestion  and not a request for help. The suggestion is obviously based on my own perception of how EAC is impacting this game and other games (and not just my personal case). But it can be hardly surprising that it comes from a player having issues with it. 

Either way, the suggestion seems to be now quite moot seen that EAC is now owned by Epic/UR4 and it is here probably to stay anyways.