Gatzby

Alpha 15.4 Released

Posted (edited)
On 3.8.2019 at 7:38 PM, blacktea65 said:

Eh we have to literally camp any kill, even a headshot, in order to confirm it. It is not really rewarding to kill someone anymore, even with a headshot. Nor is it close to unforgiving to get revived after being pierced by a 50 cal.

That's the main reason most player just charge regardless of the thread because they know they can get revived which leads to low-risk high reward strat.

You are correct, I cannot speak for all backers. However, I may speak for a clan which ordered 25+ copies, part of a PR community with several clans which I know preordered too and also have similiar expectations. As I mentioned most of the backers are obviously former PR players which longed for a sequel of Project Reality. I don't know about you but the general consesus was a niche game between Arma and Battlefield.

Well, you didn't speak for all but for a good chunk that's for sure, we ordered 10 copies and 3 of us got it with our 3dAc friends together 25 copies. Plus the other clans like PRTA, OD-S etc.

Now Squad is about to lose its unique charcteristiscs and I am tired of the mentality around here to be content with every single change while the game's vision is clearly off the tracks. You know it is called integrity to deliver a product which was promised. The project started off with a dev team consisting of former PR players and military advisors. It was also advertised as such. Noone expected measures like these years later just to please some triggerhappy playerbase which is not interested into tactical, moreover, realistic gameplay and cannot stand walking for 5 minutes without a single bullet being fired. I can already foresee how special and non-casual the gameplay on regular servers is going to be: battlefield like lone wolfs running around with fancy gear getting buddy spawned. The very definition of skill in tactical shooters.

The trigger-happy player base which is not interested in tactical, moreover, realistic gameplay and cannot stand walking for 5 minutes without a single bullet being fired plus the lack of communications like didn't call certain threats or interrupted crucial call-outs with less prior targets. That killed the fun for near all backers in my clan maybe I will follow them. For the casual aspect on the most servers, you only need 3 ppl. with really good twitch reflex to dominate any inf fight which is fun but ridicules. Who needs proper tactics or positioning if you can just outgun your opponent with better reflex and fobs tend to be the backup of the backup rally and thanks to the buddy rally often you can just ignore the fob at all.

The Tactical layer of Squad is often Ignored and deserved to be more important.

Your gun should be a tool to execute a tactic and not be tactic itself.

11 hours ago, Disco said:

oh wait... i think u are right! That's kinda lame... i fear that once new players see icon going low, they will rush to downed player... who is already dead and his position is probably not secured. We will see how it will play out after couple of weeks.

yeah... hate when that happens...

Playing medic is well, both your 3d hud and your minimap have so much blinking/flashing elements and you often get distracted from your task.

But it's still the best "just go full Russian, rush b" aka Rambo role in the game thanks to the self-heal/treatment which need to be removed soon.

Edited by Phoenixstorm
spelling

Posted (edited)

> That's the main reason most player just charge regardless of the thread because they know they can get revived which leads to low-risk high reward strat.

Most players know they don't need to care about being revived. Rally/fob is faster, safer and gives you more ammo

Edited by paragonid

20 hours ago, Disco said:

oh wait... i think u are right! That's kinda lame... i fear that once new players see icon going low, they will rush to downed player... who is already dead and his position is probably not secured. We will see how it will play out after couple of weeks.

Yeah. Its a risk, and certainly not the best mechanism... And well new players will learn quite quickly when they are killed 2-3 times after trying to revive an exposed corpse :P But after all, what the meaning of such a mechanism ? Balance between game and realism = need to learn how to secure position and cover medic ; even the base 15.4 mechanism for cal 50 is 30 sec = enough for a fool medic to get killed... then 5 or 15 sec... Heavy weapons would then really be something you have to fear

Personally I think 5 secs for, what is in effect, insta-death is to long. 1-2 secs is all you should need to know you were killed as a substitute to the instant black screen of death. 5 seconds will lead to medics trying to make a revive only for them to be frustrated when their patient expires.

I couldn't test the changes yet, but they look a step to the right direction.

I would still decrease a bit the revive window (half of it, probably) in order to force people being more cautious and less rambo. In the end Squad shouldn't be a frag-fest, but a game requiring some caring; also additionally increasing the rally respawn time compared to the HAB one would probably count on this matter.

About self-destructing veichles: keeping a strategic integrity should be a big part of the project. If a faction charges carelessly in the middle of the fight and loses all the veichles, it is their problem. They should have planned better and this should be a lesson for them to improve how to play. As someone said, the issue of isolated veichles will be solved with air strikes and helo transports. Costly, but you brake, you pay.

Buddy rally: can't wait for them to go once and for all. They make no sense and do not lead to a better reasoned gameplay. I like the idea of helping a bit the insurgents; as they can place 2 HABs per FOB, the FOB area may be increased so to allow HABs to be in far places.

At least, ask permission to have your rally used as buddy, as someone suggested.

On 7/8/2019 at 7:52 AM, Major Trouble said:

Personally I think 5 secs for, what is in effect, insta-death is to long. 1-2 secs is all you should need to know you were killed as a substitute to the instant black screen of death. 5 seconds will lead to medics trying to make a revive only for them to be frustrated when their patient expires.

Replying as medic: 5 secs are most of the time not even enough to realize if some around you has been hit.

15 hours ago, Xeinar said:

Replying as medic: 5 secs are most of the time not even enough to realize if some around you has been hit.

Playing mostly medic myself I would say your 'most of the time' for me is more like 50% of the time. This is especially true in maps that offer good cover at times like Chora and Basrah for example. Usually I am right there with my squad mates or others, having moved up with them in the available cover reviving them as we defend / advance like any good medic should. I can easily be with a downed team mate in seconds behind cover and I always have bandages selected (switching from gun to bandages 1st) ready to go. Having a patient expire just as I am bandaging because he still have his 5 secs bleed to run out will be frustrating. And for what reason other than to let the downed player know he's been killed for a little longer.

On 05/08/2019 at 11:31 PM, Disco said:

I hope i will not start an endless flame rant to each other...

There is skill involved in PR but not down to twitch reflexes... There is also that but also something more... in a way, you need to outhink your opponent. Let me give you example:

In Squad: you are rushing to to flag. You spotted enemy down the road, some 100m out. You would go into ADS and start shooting. Why wouldn't you, unless your stamina is very low since as soon as you go ADS, you will get shots that will go where you aim your barrel. You can also go for cover but then, you are at risk that he will start to shoot first. So, you are better off to start shooting on sight. There is no point to just send some bullets his way... as single rifleman, i don't think suppression kicks in. So you you need to be precise and quick. What can other guy hope for? If he runs for cover, he is just moving target. His best bet, especially if he's on road (open ground) is to start shooting back. It's down to who will aim pixels better with his mouse... ok.

In PR: same situation. You spotted enemy down the road, some 100m out. Now, what you quickly learn in PR is about deviation system. If you don't, you will not hit anything :) You need some 2-5 seconds to stay still before bullets go where you aim (HAT, AT, higher caliber needs more time). And when you think about this, it makes sense. What that system is simulating is lack of solder readiness as in, he needs to ready a gun, get into fire position, take a breath/focus/aim before he press the trigger. Since there is no fear of loosing your life in game, all of this is pretty hard to simulate but it's cleverly done so in PR. All of this is missing in squad currently. And this system is ingenious as in it doesn't take any new key presses or anything else (as in ARMA for example). You just need to wait a bit before you start to shoot. This little thing have a big impact on how firefights are resolved in PR. Let's get back to our two guys on the road. If he starts to shoot immediately as he would in Squad, he can be sure that he will not hit that guy on the other end of barrel. What is best for him is to rush for cover and report target/contact. If squad he's in is any good, they will respond to threat... start base of fire/bounding overwatch/rush enemy/flank/whatever but do together. If he start to shoot down the road, he will do so to suppress enemy and buy some time for teammates to get ready. In PR, suppression is very effective (another great system).

Point here is that in PR you need to be more 'tacticool' :) because of all the systems they put in. In Squad currently, you can role play it but essentially just for fun cause twitch aim is just more effective. PR also require to aim properly but also have another layer to gunplay that makes things more fun.

Yeah PR is a perfect blue print. As long as Squad has laser straight aim it will perform like that.