dolmaface

Announcing Project Reality Inspired Mod ATHENA

Posted (edited)

ATHENA.thumb.png.58f9020c2656936a7b588940b72bab6d.png

Hi everyone, I decided to finally make a mod based around the Project Reality gameplay mechanics. The vision is to produce the same style of gameplay and tactics as Project Reality. I believe the content in Squad is very close to PR, and the game only needs a few tweaks. The first step, is making the spawn mechanics similar. In the first release the features are

1. FOB Disable Spawn Radius increased to 100m with 3 nearby enemies
  2. Rallies get destroyed after 60s unless placed within 100m of friendly HAB (wave timer removed)
  3. Rally overrun radius increased to 125m
  4. Re-addition of insta-death

For a comparison here are the same mechanics in PR v1.5

1. FOB Disable Spawn Radius 10m for 1 enemy, 50m for 2, 100m for 4, 150m for 8
  2. Rallies get destroyed after 60s unless placed within 100m of friendly FOB/Flag/APC
  3. Rally overrun radius 125m
  4. Instadeath

And comparison to Squad V15

1. Fob Disable Spawn Radius 30m with 2 nearby enemies
  2. Rallies are indefinite unless overrun
  3. Rally overrun radius 50m
  4. No insta-death

Although these tweaks may seem minor on paper, they should change the style of gameplay tremendously. It should make the game A LOT slower since spawning is far more difficult. Additionally, just like in PR, hiding spawn points and keeping them away from flags are the key to success since they are so easily overrun.

For the future I plan on removing ticket bleed, making HABs smaller so they are easier to hide, and adding any other features which may make the game feel more like Project Reality/produce strategic gameplay.

ATHENA is available now in the workshop as a test release with two layers! There are only two layers to allow for more in depth gameplay mechanics testing/analysis....also my computer isn't very good and takes forever to mod maps in the editor!

Edited by dolmaface

Posted (edited)

Just a few suggestions:

- You may want to rename the mod to make it more obvious what it’s all about. Even something simple like “Reality Mod.”

- Please make ATGMs and tank cannons do a realistic amount of damage. They are much deadlier in PR.

- More ground friction for realistic movement please.

Edited by fatalsushi

2 minutes ago, fatalsushi said:

Please make ATGMs and tank cannons do a realistic amount of damage.

That is a good suggestion, in fact all explosives should do more damage including grenades and mortars 

7 minutes ago, dolmaface said:

That is a good suggestion, in fact all explosives should do more damage including grenades and mortars 

Yes, agreed.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, fatalsushi said:

- You may want to rename the mod to make it more obvious what it’s all about. Even something simple like “Reality Mod.”

Yes please. change the name!!!

Somethiing like "hardcore mod", "tactical mod",...sth like that.

You should also announce apremiere event of the mod to gather players together.

Also advertize on Reddit. and steam forums. AND YOUTUBE!!!!!!!!

Edited by Nightingale87

5 hours ago, dolmaface said:
  2. Rallies get destroyed after 60s unless placed within 100m of friendly HAB (wave timer removed)

That should be in Vanilla Squad.

Nice!

Please ... change the soldier's movements if you can. Add momentum and inertia that the devs have unexplained eliminated by v13! (for me it is the first thing that differentiates a tactical FPS from the usual arcade FPS)
And maybe increase the suppression

Thank you, I follow your work with great interest!

Fyi, there’s a video on reddit that explains how the “ground friction” variable can be tweaked to easily simulate more realistic movement. The point of the video is that the spastic movement seems to be a result of low ground friction rather than momentum.

Posted (edited)

Oh what’s the point?? 

Why not just play PR?? 

I wont a lot of opposite stuff to this like having enemies within 5 or 10 meters of the fob and not on the other side of a wall! 

Because what’s the point of building anything on the fob?? There’s not any point!! 

At the moment fobs are taken down way too easy 

maybe limit the number of FOBs or increase the distance between fobs

having the fob taken down by 3 guys within 100 meters is a terrible idea especially on the smaller maps it would make your fob totally worthless  

Edited by ZXD_Lee

Posted (edited)

Goodluck my man on your 'PR Mod' I know it would be Welcomed by many...

Also hope the PR Community will give some support.

Edited by Xx-RAGING-DEATH-xX

Twitch.tv/CallofDuty

Don't worry. Soon all the twitch shooter transients will move on to the next greatest thing such as this new COD plus and all the other new flashy pew pew's coming out this fall and you'll get your wish because basically you'll be only one's left anyways. The squeaky wheel always gets the grease you know.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Nightingale87 said:

Yes please. change the name!!!

Somethiing like "hardcore mod", "tactical mod",...sth like that.

You should also announce apremiere event of the mod to gather players together.

Also advertize on Reddit. and steam forums. AND YOUTUBE!!!!!!!!

I reason why I didn’t use a name like that is because I don’t want people to think the mod is focused on realism or being “hardcore”. That’s not the purpose, the purpose is to improve the tactics and strategy (similar to PR), hence the name ATHENA the Greek goddess of military strategy. Sure I will add some features which are more realistic and make the game more difficult, but that isn’t the main focus.

If I have trouble marketing the mod than maybe I will change it’s name to something more descriptive.

Edited by dolmaface

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ZXD_Lee said:

Because what’s the point of building anything on the fob?? There’s not any point!! 

Dude, it's been literally tested for years, it works. Trust in the PR way.

Once people are unable to respawn anywhere on the map every minute, all the pieces start to come together. Rallies are as weak as they should be, FOBs are more important, people value their lives, tactics are suddenly useful - the game is simply better all around. I've been facepalming every time I saw the new iterations of Squad's spawning system for years now, because we have a system we know works brilliantly for a game of this exact scale, yet the devs kept moving away from it for no apparent reason at all. 

Good luck with the mod @dolmaface, hopefully it will be the one we've all been waiting for :)

Edited by MultiSquid

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ZXD_Lee said:

Oh what’s the point?? 

Why not just play PR?? 

I wont a lot of opposite stuff to this like having enemies within 5 or 10 meters of the fob and not on the other side of a wall! 

At the moment fobs are taken down way too easy 

maybe limit the number of FOBs or increase the distance between fobs

having the fob taken down by 3 guys within 100 meters is a terrible idea especially on the smaller maps it would make your fob totally worthless  

People don´t have to play it if they don´t like it. Just let it be. 

I still play PR from time to time. But the graphics, the sound, and weapon Sway.... BF is one million years old...hehe...

Now if the fob is worthles...so be it. I see no problem with that.

Edited by Nightingale87

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, dolmaface said:

For a comparison here are the same mechanics in PR v1.5

1. FOB Disable Spawn Radius 10m for 1 enemy, 50m for 2, 100m for 4, 150m for 8
  2. Rallies get destroyed after 60s unless placed within 100m of friendly FOB/Flag/APC
  3. Rally overrun radius 125m
  4. Instadeath

Your distances are off for rally mechanics in PR. It is two large grid square from a fob or APC, so depending on the map it can be 150m(1km), 300m(2km), 600m(4km). The added distance makes it really useful to extend the operating range from a fob, but still keep the requirement of fobs as a key piece in the spawn and reinforcement system of the game. I would also reduce the overrun radius as 125m in PR is a lot larger than it is in squad, and 125m overrun in squad will have every rally instantly overrun. Keep the rallies for your regroups(60seconds) or permanent spawns that are extensions of your team's foundation.

You're going to have to explain your re-addition of instadeath and what exactly you took from PR.

Edited by Chrisweb89

Posted (edited)

I put a post on reddit here

Please support it so we can get the word out!

Edited by dolmaface

If it's feasible it would probably be a good idea to knock down the max size of infantry squads (PR was 8 but maybe even to like 7 or 6). Given the importance of squads, it's going to be tough going if you can only get like 2.5 infantry squads going on a full server.

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Good-Try Greg said:

If it's feasible it would probably be a good idea to knock down the max size of infantry squads (PR was 8 but maybe even to like 7 or 6). Given the importance of squads, it's going to be tough going if you can only get like 2.5 infantry squads going on a full server.

This is something I am considering. How does Squads kit limitations work again? If I just bump it down to 8 will I have to balance any other features? 

edit: never mind found it, looks like I can just bump it down

Edited by dolmaface

All I ask is that when your mod only has like 20 to 30 players peak, don't play the victim and expect people to play your version out of pity.  At some point you'll have to realize you are a vocal minority. 

Good luck though. 

25 minutes ago, Thr34t said:

All I ask is that when your mod only has like 20 to 30 players peak, don't play the victim and expect people to play your version out of pity.  At some point you'll have to realize you are a vocal minority. 

Good luck though. 

So be it. 

Sadly you Will be happy. Why exactly?... well...you would know.

Now tell me. 5000 players play SQUAD daily. Do you really think that only 20 people would be interested in this mod?. Dont you think that if the devs supported a mod like this, or if they designed the mod themselves only 20 people would play it???

After all, a MOD like this is what gave birth to SQUAD. Devs come from there, main ideas come from there. Most of the gameplay comes from there. Original community from day one comes from there. 

Thank you for your support.

Guys please keep the discussion mature. This mod has no intent of insulting the devs in anyway. Some of us just want an experience similar to that of Project Reality, and this mod is an outlet for that. If you are not interested, than please take your ranting elsewhere.

On a better note, I just released an update

• Removed Buddy Rally
  • Made HABs smaller so they are easier to hide (~80% scale)
  • Added Skorpo RAAS v1 to layers (others are Gorodok RAAS v3 and Fools Road RAAS v3)

2 hours ago, Nightingale87 said:

Do you really think that only 20 people would be interested in this mod?

Yes. That seems to be the consensus.  I've asked numerous players on servers their take on the direction of the game and their thoughts on the PR people wanting it changed to meet thejr desires. On the forums it is always the same handful of people making these posts.

I really do hope the mod is enjoyble for you guys. Hell, I'll probably give it a shot myself and I'm probably one of the biggest opponents to the PR movement due to having players with extremely inferior skills trying to bitch at me for not playing their way as they LARP at a FOB. I just wouldn't get my hopes up that this will be an 80 or eventually 100 player full server. Right now there are literally lines to play the dev's version of the game.

1 hour ago, Thr34t said:

I've asked numerous players on servers

Have you thought that people you've been searching for aren't playing anymore because, well, the game is just boring, so you can't really ask them since they're not on the servers? :)