dolmaface

Announcing Project Reality Inspired Mod ATHENA

9 hours ago, dolmaface said:

https://discord.gg/eep4pH6

Yes I will be considering making revive by non-medic players give more sway/darker screen/slower/etc... Since kits don't drop in Squad, I think it is okay that non-medic players can revive. This is basically a substitution for picking up med kits off the ground to revive whole squad, and body dragging. I agree it should be balanced though by making revived player super weak. Although, just thinking about this now, maybe it could be made so that non-medics can only revive downed medics...this way it isn't OP, and serves the same purpose as in PR.

As someone who mainly plays medic I was not annoyed they added the ability for everyone to revive. I like it that even during a squad wipe all is not lost if the medic is downed as long as one person survives and can get the medic up. Your squad still has the chance to recover.

What I do like is that only the medic can heal but revived players need a more detrimental injury system imho. Non healed players should exhibit negative buffs related to their last injury. Shot in the legs - seriously reduced movement speed. Shot in the arms - seriously increased weapon sway. Shot in the torso - no stamina. Shot in the head - all of the previous but include blurred / lack of colour vision.

As a tester for the mod, the following mechanics were tested and functional. 

1. Buddy Rally disabled

2. Enemies existence can disable FOB function at PR distance 

3. Instant death for being shot with 1 min after revive

4. Reduced HAB's size to 80% for better concealment 

1 hour ago, RB79BALL said:

As a tester for the mod, the following mechanics were tested and functional. 

1. Buddy Rally disabled

2. Enemies existence can disable FOB function at PR distance 

3. Instant death for being shot with 1 min after revive

4. Reduced HAB's size to 80% for better concealment 

great! we need the PR comunity who buy kickstarter and didn't like squad!

Edited by danielritual

Okay, this has me excited! So excited I’m replying on my phone during holiday! 

Firstly, the spawn mechanics change seems like a fantastic step! I would love the whole APC ability, it can allow more motorised assaults. But the fact we are moving away from a higher rush spawn is good imo. A tactical advance seems correct to me! I would implore that we keep persistent ammo as well, that’s a feature I seem to really like!

as for current mechanics, slowing down weapon raising, reloads and general running to make fire team buddies and what not more essential compared to Rambo would be ideal!

some potential suggestions on top of all this excellent work:

- Supply crates. Currently with it being a numbers game I don’t think you’ll see transport heli’s or IFV’s being utilised the same way. A physicalised crate allows the heli to hover and drop crates in more urban or difficult terrain. An IFV can resupply infantry by yeeting an ammo crate out the back and keep moving. 

I think this is important as currently infantry don’t pull sector on resupplies. I think you loose vehicles too often to this. 

I would envision it as potentially a transport heli or truck can carry 4 crates. Each worth 500p. You decide how many crates of what to load. An IFV could carry 2 300p ammo crates etc. That way the supplies can be physicalised. 

- I would make AT more effective and immobilising but not ‘killing’. My own thoughts so feel free to ignore. But I’d suggest that lighter rockets can cause damage and there be 2 states. Damaged but crew repair and damaged. Special repair (such as a construction crate being deployed next to it) allowing mini stories of heroism to unfold for vehicle crews without the infantry being unfairly punished with a vehicle still within fighting capacity after several attacks, I think this balance would make vehicles more sustainable and crewable but meaning they can still be abandoned or bailed. With the intention of being repaired. Again though. In these damage states they can’t harass infantry as easily. 

Other features of quality of life would be fire team leaders getting bino’s, FTL marks not disappearing during a squad order and keeping the all can revive feature but keeping a ‘you gon f*cked up’ part of being dead if you play anymore hopscotch with bullets. 

I’m sure there is more but I have 4% and still need to traverse a country to my PC so I need to go!

how often are play tests?

Edited by SoulShaper2

Current scope for ATHENA mod. (Will consider adding in mew feature after the stated ones are stabled)

This is the list. 

Modify Movement
Modify ATGM Damage
Modify Mortar Damage
Modify Vehicle HEAT/TOW/Tank Damage and health
Two Minute Squad Creation Timer
Add more blur and darkness to suppression
Dedicated Vehicle Squad Mechanics
Increase C4 Timer to 14s and engineer hold more
Admin Warning Message
Map Voting (I think already a feature?)
Player join server announcement

Everything underlined are priority features that is current under investigation and development. So, get hyped.

On 16/08/2019 at 2:46 PM, SoulShaper2 said:

how often are play tests?

There is no play testing coming up in the near future until the item list are ready for a go. As a SQUAD tradition, I will say 3 months. ;)

6 hours ago, RB79BALL said:

Current scope for ATHENA mod. (Will consider adding in mew feature after the stated ones are stabled)

This is the list. 

Modify Movement
Modify ATGM Damage
Modify Mortar Damage
Modify Vehicle HEAT/TOW/Tank Damage and health
Two Minute Squad Creation Timer
Add more blur and darkness to suppression
Dedicated Vehicle Squad Mechanics
Increase C4 Timer to 14s and engineer hold more
Admin Warning Message
Map Voting (I think already a feature?)
Player join server announcement

Everything underlined are priority features that is current under investigation and development. So, get hyped.

There is no play testing coming up in the near future until the item list are ready for a go. As a SQUAD tradition, I will say 3 months. ;)

I agree to all this, but more ones things:
- TOP SQUAD on end screen after rounds;
- need thermals for vehicles;
- Project reality layers;
- consume more stamina to jump obstacles;

What you thing about this ones?

I hate squad man! 

I regret sponsoring the game and the developers cheating on the project reality community!

We need this things to be playable to PR community!

Edited by danielritual

6 hours ago, danielritual said:

I
I hate squad man! 

I regret sponsoring the game and the developers cheating on the project reality community!

Maybe Squad doesn’t please you, that’s fine. But then again, nobody can please everyone, else there wouldn’t be so many damn conflicts on our green planet earth.

Squad was never meant to be a PR clone. True, it’s supposed to be very similar, but yet it’s Squad and not PR2. The Devs put hundreds, if not thousands of hours of thought into the new mechanics, and are indeed involving the community voice in their decisions, as many changes during the course of the alpha have shown so far. As said you can’t make everyone happy, but t the end the responsibility lies with the Devs, and so they have to have the last say on how the game should look like after all.

And thanks to your ‘sponsoring’ as u call it, we get a game with Squad that features mod development, so people can easily add their own creations and bend game mechanics as they like. It might not look to you that way but mod support isn’t something that is done over the night.

20 hours ago, danielritual said:

I agree to all this, but more ones things:
- TOP SQUAD on end screen after rounds;
- need thermals for vehicles;
- Project reality layers;
- consume more stamina to jump obstacles;

What you thing about this ones?

I hate squad man! 

TOP SQUAD is an idea that we can consider as part of the future work for Admin messaging. However, it depends on how difficult to extract the information for each team. 

Thermal vision is a hot topic among the ATHENA group as well. However, this is likely a major overhaul instead of tweaking existing values. At this moment, we are not planning to invest time into adding this feature until the list of features are ready and bug free. However, if you know anyone who have such level of modding experience, let me know and we are flexible on priority. ;)

"Project Reality layers" can you explain a bit more on it. I don't really understand what that means...

"Stamina after jump". In this matter, I have a different personal opinion on the approach. Instead of losing stamina, a short suppressed screen (0.3s - 0.5s) seem to be more effective, don't you think?