Sign in to follow this  
pigsoup

No Shadow has to go quick

I am sick of browsing squad's reddit and seeing gif or vid of people going rambo (which is hard even without shadow) with high settings except shadows. I am also sick of 'it sucks but everyone does it' bullshit comments, too. Bake in the shadow or just up the minimum rig standard.

On 7/31/2019 at 6:55 AM, pigsoup said:

I am sick of browsing squad's reddit and seeing gif or vid of people going rambo (which is hard even without shadow) with high settings except shadows. I am also sick of 'it sucks but everyone does it' bullshit comments, too. Bake in the shadow or just up the minimum rig standard.

Wouldn't you have to take into consideration all the other video settings as well that can be fine tuned on particular maps that can also completely give the user a distinct advantage way more than just shadows off?

Low shadows settings extremely increases your ability to spot enemies compared with medium+ settings

Our general aim is to keep optimizing so we can lock in the baseline settings for Squad, even at the low end of the requirements. There's likely to be some back and forth, especially as things like choppers roll out, but it's on the list of things we're concerned about. Not only is it not the best gameplay experience, it encourages people to miss out on all the hard work the art team does.

But since you want shadows gone because it makes it easier to spot enemies, shouldnt dust clouds coming from moving vehicles be removed?

Follow my logic here.

Low end pc's get advantage with no shadow.

High end pc's get advantage at spotting moving vehicles by the dust they throw up

Low end pc's cant play at the highest effect hence they dont get the dust clouds=disadvantage

On 8/6/2019 at 11:58 AM, Jevski said:

But since you want shadows gone because it makes it easier to spot enemies, shouldnt dust clouds coming from moving vehicles be removed?

Follow my logic here.

Low end pc's get advantage with no shadow.

High end pc's get advantage at spotting moving vehicles by the dust they throw up

Low end pc's cant play at the highest effect hence they dont get the dust clouds=disadvantage

that in theory makes sense but that example is quite weak (difference in advantage gained in both scenarios is too drastic). low graphics also helps spot everything better except in the case of indirectly spotting a moving vehicle through dust clouds.

I am not suggesting every little adjustment to the settings so that somehow any mixture of the setting have same "visibility advantage" or whatever.

No shadow specifically gives you wayyyyy too much of an advantage in high foliage map inf vs. inf,  and that is why I think that alone should be 'fixed'. 

1 hour ago, pigsoup said:

No shadow specifically gives you wayyyyy too much of an advantage in high foliage map inf vs. inf,  and that is why I think that alone should be 'fixed'. 

I think it depends on the particular map and faction as well though. On a densely vegetated green dominant map like Gorodok or Skorpo the Russians have a distinct advantage regardless if they're in the shadows or not compared to USA OCP Scorpion that sticks out like a glowstick pretty much everywhere.

Again though, I'll ask you what about all the other video settings that can be tweaked to enhance viewing enemies at medium to long ranges? Forcing just shadows seems illogical to me without considering the rest of the settings. Then you're going to start excluding all the toaster PC's which I'm fine with however it will reduce the player base.

On 8/9/2019 at 11:45 AM, Zylfrax791 said:

I think it depends on the particular map and faction as well though. On a densely vegetated green dominant map like Gorodok or Skorpo the Russians have a distinct advantage regardless if they're in the shadows or not compared to USA OCP Scorpion that sticks out like a glowstick pretty much everywhere.

Again though, I'll ask you what about all the other video settings that can be tweaked to enhance viewing enemies at medium to long ranges? Forcing just shadows seems illogical to me without considering the rest of the settings. Then you're going to start excluding all the toaster PC's which I'm fine with however it will reduce the player base.

I was too emotional when I said "just up the minimum requirement".

But I consider no shadows as equivalent to disabling grass in some games. I have yet to encounter any settings that give the aforementioned two tweaks' level of visibility gains. Maybe I am not aware?