pigsoup

No Shadow has to go quick

I am sick of browsing squad's reddit and seeing gif or vid of people going rambo (which is hard even without shadow) with high settings except shadows. I am also sick of 'it sucks but everyone does it' bullshit comments, too. Bake in the shadow or just up the minimum rig standard.

On 7/31/2019 at 6:55 AM, pigsoup said:

I am sick of browsing squad's reddit and seeing gif or vid of people going rambo (which is hard even without shadow) with high settings except shadows. I am also sick of 'it sucks but everyone does it' bullshit comments, too. Bake in the shadow or just up the minimum rig standard.

Wouldn't you have to take into consideration all the other video settings as well that can be fine tuned on particular maps that can also completely give the user a distinct advantage way more than just shadows off?

Low shadows settings extremely increases your ability to spot enemies compared with medium+ settings

Our general aim is to keep optimizing so we can lock in the baseline settings for Squad, even at the low end of the requirements. There's likely to be some back and forth, especially as things like choppers roll out, but it's on the list of things we're concerned about. Not only is it not the best gameplay experience, it encourages people to miss out on all the hard work the art team does.

But since you want shadows gone because it makes it easier to spot enemies, shouldnt dust clouds coming from moving vehicles be removed?

Follow my logic here.

Low end pc's get advantage with no shadow.

High end pc's get advantage at spotting moving vehicles by the dust they throw up

Low end pc's cant play at the highest effect hence they dont get the dust clouds=disadvantage

On 8/6/2019 at 11:58 AM, Jevski said:

But since you want shadows gone because it makes it easier to spot enemies, shouldnt dust clouds coming from moving vehicles be removed?

Follow my logic here.

Low end pc's get advantage with no shadow.

High end pc's get advantage at spotting moving vehicles by the dust they throw up

Low end pc's cant play at the highest effect hence they dont get the dust clouds=disadvantage

that in theory makes sense but that example is quite weak (difference in advantage gained in both scenarios is too drastic). low graphics also helps spot everything better except in the case of indirectly spotting a moving vehicle through dust clouds.

I am not suggesting every little adjustment to the settings so that somehow any mixture of the setting have same "visibility advantage" or whatever.

No shadow specifically gives you wayyyyy too much of an advantage in high foliage map inf vs. inf,  and that is why I think that alone should be 'fixed'. 

1 hour ago, pigsoup said:

No shadow specifically gives you wayyyyy too much of an advantage in high foliage map inf vs. inf,  and that is why I think that alone should be 'fixed'. 

I think it depends on the particular map and faction as well though. On a densely vegetated green dominant map like Gorodok or Skorpo the Russians have a distinct advantage regardless if they're in the shadows or not compared to USA OCP Scorpion that sticks out like a glowstick pretty much everywhere.

Again though, I'll ask you what about all the other video settings that can be tweaked to enhance viewing enemies at medium to long ranges? Forcing just shadows seems illogical to me without considering the rest of the settings. Then you're going to start excluding all the toaster PC's which I'm fine with however it will reduce the player base.

On 8/9/2019 at 11:45 AM, Zylfrax791 said:

I think it depends on the particular map and faction as well though. On a densely vegetated green dominant map like Gorodok or Skorpo the Russians have a distinct advantage regardless if they're in the shadows or not compared to USA OCP Scorpion that sticks out like a glowstick pretty much everywhere.

Again though, I'll ask you what about all the other video settings that can be tweaked to enhance viewing enemies at medium to long ranges? Forcing just shadows seems illogical to me without considering the rest of the settings. Then you're going to start excluding all the toaster PC's which I'm fine with however it will reduce the player base.

I was too emotional when I said "just up the minimum requirement".

But I consider no shadows as equivalent to disabling grass in some games. I have yet to encounter any settings that give the aforementioned two tweaks' level of visibility gains. Maybe I am not aware?

On 8/3/2019 at 10:56 AM, Ryse said:

Can someone explain this whole shadow thing to me?

Yes. Basically, you drop shadows detail to lowest setting and you got no shadows ingame. Having no shadows gives you ability to far easier spot and acquire targets. Putting you at great advantage over others, at the cost of bad graphics. Many people do it, and they feel no shame because ''its in the game settings''.

I would say, LOCK the shadow settings for all. If someone can't run the game because of that, let him earn the money for his new PC. Because why would the people with high end machines who run the game on highest settings suffer for people with low end machines.

Lastly, the question is - is it because of the low end machines, or their K/D ego that shadows are being turned off? ;) Because, me personally I have seen people with high end PC's abusing shadows.

On 2019-09-02 at 8:20 AM, Rainmaker said:

I would say, LOCK the shadow settings for all. If someone can't run the game because of that, let him earn the money for his new PC. Because why would the people with high end machines who run the game on highest settings suffer for people with low end machines.

Oh how you must suffer all those beautiful visuals :P I play competitive settings (medium shadows, high view distance) with a ~10-20 fps drop I can hardly afford and I still waste all you high end PC bois. Frankly, low settings are there for a reason. Many of us have other priorities for our hard-earned $ (school, saving for down-payments, kids, real life shit) and can't be bothered to upgrade with every generation of games. E.g. I built my comp while working full time, but now I'm in school and saving to buy a house in 3 years. I am pinching every penny, and this is normal for many of us. 

That said, minimum graphics should be competitive. Not locked on high ¬¬, but made to be as similar as possible in terms of spotting. I imagine this would come later after game assets are added and optimization is done. 

As I said before where when it comes to video settings why simply focus on shadows when view distance and gamma have much more to do with spotting enemies and their vehicles? Especially now that many maps have increased levels of fog. Case in point, on one of the Mestia layers you simply pull the TOWRAP or BMP right outside main, set view distance to low and then drop your gamma way down and you can see basically across the entire map and its nothing but barren hills through the weapon scope. People don't even know what hit them or where it came from.

Plus there are many many other maps where you can tweak you video settings on the fly for a distinct advantage as well. Lets just force Epic or Cinematic settings and only people with current high end rigs can play.

On 08/09/2019 at 4:39 PM, pinko said:

Oh how you must suffer all those beautiful visuals :P I play competitive settings (medium shadows, high view distance) with a ~10-20 fps drop I can hardly afford and I still waste all you high end PC bois. Frankly, low settings are there for a reason. Many of us have other priorities for our hard-earned $ (school, saving for down-payments, kids, real life shit) and can't be bothered to upgrade with every generation of games. E.g. I built my comp while working full time, but now I'm in school and saving to buy a house in 3 years. I am pinching every penny, and this is normal for many of us. 

That said, minimum graphics should be competitive. Not locked on high ¬¬, but made to be as similar as possible in terms of spotting. I imagine this would come later after game assets are added and optimization is done. 

Then clearly you are not earning enough to cover your gaming enthusiasm. We should not suffer so you can boost your broke ass ego.

Then why should we care when you suffer getting shot due to low shadow(read low skill)

15 minutes ago, Jevski said:

Then why should we care when you suffer getting shot due to low shadow(read low skill)

It generaly takes 15 people to down me on average. I would say thats pretty good, considering the fact I sometimes go 70 to 0 aswell.

High skill + very high SA and game sense I would not claim what you are saying very lightly. Yeah, shadows off need to go.

Be careful what you wish for. Forcing graphics settings will alienate the already dwindling population that's going to take a major hit on October 25th anyway. I mean jeez what do want them to do? They've already taken the most popular maps in the game Yeho & Goro and dumbed the textures down so far it's basically almost Fortnite graphics at this point just to squeeze out a few more frame rates for the potato's toaster computers.

18 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Be careful what you wish for. Forcing graphics settings will alienate the already dwindling population that's going to take a major hit on October 25th anyway. I mean jeez what do want them to do? They've already taken the most popular maps in the game Yeho & Goro and dumbed the textures down so far it's basically almost Fortnite graphics at this point just to squeeze out a few more frame rates for the potato's toaster computers.

You're over exaggerating about the graphics lol, if anything it looks better now, cleaner.

How does this look anything like Fortnite (keep in mind, steam always ruins the screenshot quality, it's way sharper ingame)?

D53E3C0E266D3A5BEAF8C872E59804736419A9DA

Also i highly doubt the new CoD will have that much of an impact on Squad, the playerbases and target audiances are completely different. Sure a lot of people will probably try it out, but it's still CoD.

A lot of players turn off their shadows to be able to get a clear advantage of their enemies, not to get better FPS, this is just pure BS imo. Squad has had a lot of optimisation already since V13 (yes it has ways to go still, but that's what the beta stage is for isn't it?) and i doubt they'll stop optimising before full release. By then it should be very well possible to get rid of the option to completely turn shadows off.

Edited by Guan_Yu007

It should be public server setting available for every owner to restrict shadow/graphics level

4 hours ago, paragonid said:

It should be public server setting available for every owner to restrict shadow/graphics level

Pretty sure I've seen a server that forced medium shadows.

On 2019-09-09 at 2:57 PM, Guan_Yu007 said:

A lot of players turn off their shadows to be able to get a clear advantage of their enemies, not to get better FPS, this is just pure BS imo. Squad has had a lot of optimisation already since V13 (yes it has ways to go still, but that's what the beta stage is for isn't it?) and i doubt they'll stop optimising before full release. By then it should be very well possible to get rid of the option to completely turn shadows off.

Seen in multiple dev responses that optimization typically occurs after adding new content, so likely there will be major optimization before beta release. That would be where I hope they enforce shadows, so that slower rigs can handle it.

On 2019-09-09 at 2:05 PM, Rainmaker said:

Then clearly you are not earning enough to cover your gaming enthusiasm. We should not suffer so you can boost your broke ass ego.

How is my ego boosted? I have shadows on. I play with low fps. I'll still frag the shit out of everyone on the server. What I'm saying is that even folks whose rigs can't handle shadows now shouldn't be left out in alpha. I'm sure a lot of people abuse it, but the effect on the game at this stage is minimal. 

If you can't understand living on a tight budget, I'm not going to explain it to you.

On 2019-09-09 at 2:36 PM, Rainmaker said:

It generaly takes 15 people to down me on average. I would say thats pretty good, considering the fact I sometimes go 70 to 0 aswell.

High skill + very high SA and game sense I would not claim what you are saying very lightly. Yeah, shadows off need to go.

Exactly, so why complain? Your experience still counts way more than someone having a graphic advantage. Just live with it through alpha. 

This has been an on-going topic for a long time and has been multiple threads on it already - As pointed out by Gatzby in this thread & by Fuzzhead in the other thread - We'll see graphic settings being finalized when the game nears it's polishing phase, as the game is still in development, performance will still vary from version to version until it's reaches that feature complete and optimization phase.

Shadows are one of the more performance heavy graphical settings, and doesn't make sense to lock them down due to the aforementioned. We have seen foliage locked down and setting removed as one of the first steps towards making things more fair.

On 9/10/2019 at 6:05 AM, Rainmaker said:

Lets move away from this specific topic, you have been previously warned for a similar conversation that spiraled into something negative.

On 2019-08-05 at 8:23 PM, Gatzby said:

Our general aim is to keep optimizing so we can lock in the baseline settings for Squad, even at the low end of the requirements. There's likely to be some back and forth, especially as things like choppers roll out, but it's on the list of things we're concerned about. Not only is it not the best gameplay experience, it encourages people to miss out on all the hard work the art team does.

Please prioritize this issue. Make very low quality shadows for low end pcs or something. 

I have a decent PC but I play at low on some settings because of this issue. I find that I am getting shot without knowing what hit me when I am alll high setting. And you have this sense that cover is not cover and you can't trust your surroundings. It's a fake world feeling. It's extremely frustrating to the point where I sacrifice some graphics quality to feel better. Devs should pay this issue a lot more attention. It's not like this in most other games so the issue is fixable. I feel no shame but I wonder why I bought that expensive Gpu. All settings have to be considered btw. 

Edited by SpecialAgentJohnson

i suggested ages ago that any reduction is settings was also linked to view distance. So no matter what hardware you have if you reduce any setting under a threshold it starts to cap your view distance. Simple and fair.