pigsoup

No Shadow has to go quick

So I am a pretty shit modder but the things I make normally change how things work so drastically that I need to make really janky (albeit functional) workarounds and I feel no different with this topic. If you bake shadows and then darken all models as if they are in shade using the LOD you can make targets that hide in shadows much harder to see with no resource cost to the end user; Yes this will make players in the fields much easier to see but let's be real here, you are likely to spot them either way, same goes for someone up close inside your LOD distance you are likely to spot them or hear them anyway. I would rather push the issues to the extreme close range and unlikely not spotting people in fields then to the normality of spotting everyone everywhere.

Edited by The Goth Cat

On 08/09/2019 at 2:33 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

As I said before where when it comes to video settings why simply focus on shadows when view distance and gamma have much more to do with spotting enemies and their vehicles? Especially now that many maps have increased levels of fog. Case in point, on one of the Mestia layers you simply pull the TOWRAP or BMP right outside main, set view distance to low and then drop your gamma way down and you can see basically across the entire map and its nothing but barren hills through the weapon scope. People don't even know what hit them or where it came from.

Plus there are many many other maps where you can tweak you video settings on the fly for a distinct advantage as well. Lets just force Epic or Cinematic settings and only people with current high end rigs can play.

then that should be "fixed" as the game is finalised. This is the first good example of another graphical exploit that is pretty significant (mentioned in this thread). I can't imagine there are a thousand other ways to manipulate the setting to one's SIGNIFICANT advantage. no shadow was the only thing on my mind since it is clearly exploited by people with good machines (anecdotal evidence from the subreddit gifs). 

3 minutes ago, pigsoup said:

then that should be "fixed" as the game is finalised. This is the first good example of another graphical exploit that is pretty significant (mentioned in this thread). I can't imagine there are a thousand other ways to manipulate the setting to one's SIGNIFICANT advantage. no shadow was the only thing on my mind since it is clearly exploited by people with good machines (anecdotal evidence from the subreddit gifs). 

Why does low view distance make you see longer across the entire map? Low would mean short distance no? 

1 hour ago, SpecialAgentJohnson said:

Why does low view distance make you see longer across the entire map? Low would mean short distance no? 

That means it lowered draw distance for detailed objects(so that there can be invisible bushes at long range), but not players.

Like in Warthundurr.

Edited by EcchiRevenge

15 hours ago, EcchiRevenge said:

That means it lowered draw distance for detailed objects(so that there can be invisible bushes at long range), but not players.

Like in Warthundurr.

OK that is weird. I thought players also didn't draw. That doesnt make sense. 

How shit do the computers and vid cards have to be to not have shadows on? I play on a 3rd generation i7 which is approaching 8 YEARS OLD and was playing on a R9-280x and had everything on high including shadows. Are you playing on an Atari 400 or something? Using dad's Commodore 64? Did your mom give you her used Apple II+ for Christmas? You could only afford the tape drive and not the floppy drive version? Are you using a 300 Baud acoustic coupler modem for internet? I recently bought a USED R9-580 for $200 CDN and have everything maxed out at 1920x1080 which is the max my monitor will do and have zero slowdowns, even with shitloads of explosions and tons of people etc, etc.

While I understand the developer is trying to be kind and allowing guys who panhandled for their computer systems to play, it is effecting gameplay negatively. The easiest solution is to have the "low shadows" permanently turned on. I don't care if the shadows look like graphics from a Gorf cartridge for a Vic20. It can look like something out of minecraft for all I care. That way it's fair to both parties. Don't like the Atari 2600 shadows? Suck d!ck if you have to, to get a better graphics card. If you're willing to spend $50 on this game, why not save up $150 bucks and get a decent used card and be able to run not only this game properly, but other games as well. After you wipe your mouth off and grab yourself something decent, used from kajiji or Craiglist, all that time you spent on the corner, on your knees, will be well worth it. After seeing how nice looking and smooth Squad and other games play, you'll thank yourself.

Edited by tmpwhore

well said @tmpwhore . btw this brought back some mem's > " Gorf cartridge for a Vic20. " ;)

i think it should be compulsory for anybody wanting to make a complaint/claim against the game, such as in here and numerous other ongoing 'issues', that they then must include an honest rundown of their basic sys specs, and any software running in the background (or concurrently) that is not a 'normal for Windoze' thing.

eg: my stuffs

i7-6700

32G-dd4-2133

r9-FuryX 4G

all SSD's, no O/C's, Avast (d.n.disturb mode), nothing else that i know of in the B/G.

at the end of the day Squad should lock minimum settings to stop peeps exploiting (easily), and if that means upgrading hardware then so be it, too bad, suck it up big fella and deal with reality. since we are lucky to have access to Squad during development we can assume, if we're even half awake, that the spec requirement will rise somewhat as the game nears completion - i hold no illusions about being able to play Squad RC1 without making any change to my system - i might get lucky, but i assume the worst case because that's just a sensible way to go.

I was playing without shadows pre v16 but now getting really good FPS (even in battle) and have turned them back on.

Can't say I'm doing any worse. No shadows does look very unnatural and bright.

i have msi gtx 1050 2gb(overclocked btw i wanna upgrade but this is not my main pc) and i5 2500k 4.8 ghz overclocked all cores  16 gb (4x4) 2133 mhz ram and at 1080p in every map i get diffrent fps some maps specialy talil outskirts i am getting realy bad performance at that map sometimes i see 35 fps thats why i am playing everything on low and shadows closed 

On 2019-10-15 at 2:37 PM, tmpwhore said:

How shit do the computers and vid cards have to be to not have shadows on? I play on a 3rd generation i7 which is approaching 8 YEARS OLD and was playing on a R9-280x and had everything on high including shadows. Are you playing on an Atari 400 or something? Using dad's Commodore 64? Did your mom give you her used Apple II+ for Christmas? You could only afford the tape drive and not the floppy drive version? Are you using a 300 Baud acoustic coupler modem for internet? I recently bought a USED R9-580 for $200 CDN and have everything maxed out at 1920x1080 which is the max my monitor will do and have zero slowdowns, even with shitloads of explosions and tons of people etc, etc.

While I understand the developer is trying to be kind and allowing guys who panhandled for their computer systems to play, it is effecting gameplay negatively. The easiest solution is to have the "low shadows" permanently turned on. I don't care if the shadows look like graphics from a Gorf cartridge for a Vic20. It can look like something out of minecraft for all I care. That way it's fair to both parties. Don't like the Atari 2600 shadows? Suck d!ck if you have to, to get a better graphics card. If you're willing to spend $50 on this game, why not save up $150 bucks and get a decent used card and be able to run not only this game properly, but other games as well. After you wipe your mouth off and grab yourself something decent, used from kajiji or Craiglist, all that time you spent on the corner, on your knees, will be well worth it. After seeing how nice looking and smooth Squad and other games play, you'll thank yourself.

its not really people with bad computers a lot of it is people with more than capable rigs purposely doing it to gain an advantage.

Edited by warrior6

5 hours ago, warrior6 said:

its not really people with bad computers a lot of it is people with more than capable rigs purposely doing it to gain an advantage.

And of course you have more than your statement to back up that fact?

On 10/15/2019 at 8:37 PM, tmpwhore said:

If you're willing to spend $50 on this game, why not save up $150 bucks and get a decent used card and be able to run not only this game properly

I have an Ryzen 1600x and an 1060 and an old 970 to run phyx only. While I overclock both cards and the ryzen im still not able to play with shadow on. If I do I get around 15 fps.

Btw, not everyone lives where you do. Things have different cost in different countries. Here in Denmark, I can buy a used 1060 for 150$, and thats the card I have and I still cant play with shadows.

A 2070 Super costs 500$ in the US. In Denmark its 670$.

On 10/15/2019 at 8:37 PM, tmpwhore said:

That way it's fair to both parties

But if you want fair for everyone..I dont hear you say that frames should be locked at 25. Some players do experience lower frames at times depending on the map - if the game should be fair, then you should experience the same.

Perhaps we should remove dust clouds from moving vehicles. Those makes it easier to spot, and those running on lower setting does not have dust clouds.
But you do have the possibility to make it fair, you can turn off shadow and still play...I cant.

Edited by Jevski

^this. Plus you guys make it out as if turning shadows off instantly grants you wallhacks.

Why would anybody complain about something as minor as disabled shadows when there are Maps/Layout out there that legit turn one Fraction invisible due to lackluster camouflages? Three words. BRITS ON KOKAN ... aka. Bushwookiees.

Get your priorities straight.

On 14/11/2019 at 4:33 PM, Jevski said:

I have an Ryzen 1600x and an 1060 and an old 970 to run phyx only. While I overclock both cards and the ryzen im still not able to play with shadow on. If I do I get around 15 fps.

SSD(s)? resolution? shadows ON (meaning only on LOW, i assume)? ...  and only 15fps?

On 14/11/2019 at 4:33 PM, Jevski said:

A 2070 Super costs 500$ in the US. In Denmark its 670$.

$700-$900 in Australia - my r9FuryX cost me over $1000. herein cost is not an argument based on location but based on income instead, i would suggest.