Sign in to follow this  
Squad Fox

Whats the Deal with the DLC/CAF Mod?

Will the CAF DLC be integrated into the base game after some time or remain as a DLC?
Will more mods become DLCs?
Will the CAF DLC receive updates on content & maps/layers?

Who will be responsible for the updates of the CAF DLC, OWI or the Modders?
Is the CAF MOD developers hired now and will provide actual content to the actual game or was this a one-time-deal and will only continue making mod content?
Whats the likelihood of actual planned/potential content being cut out from the game as modders content  to becomes DLCs?

These are all questions I had in the back of my mind when I initially saw this but after I played a few rounds with the faction and maps I could care less about all that garbage because the whole package is a blast! Especially that Nanisivik map. Loosening up the reins and whitelisting shit like this is a positive direction for this game that will grow the playerbase so honestly I could personally care less what happens behind the scenes.

6 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

These are all questions I had in the back of my mind when I initially saw this but after I played a few rounds with the faction and maps I could care less about all that garbage because the whole package is a blast! Especially that Nanisivik map. Loosening up the reins and whitelisting shit like this is a positive direction for this game that will grow the playerbase so honestly I could personally care less what happens behind the scenes.

Agreed on all points except this one!

I dont like it man, DLCs on Squad? pretty soon we will have to pay to play them... I woundnt be surprised, I mean, look what they did to Squad, right?

I bet bitter old spinster cat ladies surrounded by empty empty Franzia wine tap boxes have more fun than you guys really... Lol...

It's a question that has popped up a lot lately; Why is CAF not apart of the base of the game, like other mods that have been added?

To my understanding, the other mods were completed projects - For example, Al Basrah and the 1P63 optic. Meanwhile, the CAF is still in active development and has further content and polishing to be done. From what's been said, CAF is an official DLC, mainly because it allows the mod team to develop CAF with out affecting the Squad development cycle, and vice versa. 

People have to keep in mind, DLC is just additional content or in more simple terms, an add-on. OWI have kept their word, that if there was DLC, it won't cost a dime for people to access. Will be free, and that's exactly what the CAF is, free.  

46 minutes ago, Dubs said:

It's a question that has popped up a lot lately; Why is CAF not apart of the base of the game, like other mods that have been added?

To my understanding, the other mods were completed projects - For example, Al Basrah and the 1P63 optic. Meanwhile, the CAF is still in active development and has further content and polishing to be done. From what's been said, CAF is an official DLC, mainly because it allows the mod team to develop CAF with out affecting the Squad development cycle, and vice versa. 

People have to keep in mind, DLC is just additional content or in more simple terms, an add-on. OWI have kept their word, that if there was DLC, it won't cost a dime for people to access. Will be free, and that's exactly what the CAF is, free.  

The people behind this content deserve a big pat on the back. This is an epic patch and and is exactly the direction the game needs to go in my opinion. Raging Death, Laughing Jack plus a certain particular dev couldn't look take one look at Nanisivik and have flashbacks of Delta Force's Novaya Zemlya campaign for sure. Great work and great decisions. Keep this shit up and 20,000 people peaks won't be uncommon.

7 hours ago, Squad Fox said:

Is the CAF MOD developers hired now and will provide actual content to the actual game or was this a one-time-deal and will only continue making mod content?

Good question.

I wonder what the Modders get in return from OWI, for letting their work being advertised as "first free DLC" for Squad.

8 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

The people behind this content deserve a big pat on the back.

So far the reception on the mod you hear from the average players on the servers when playing is that they think this is actual content released by OWI. In many of the promo material it comes across as it was made by OWI. I don't think the majority of the playerbase realizes that this is not OWI that made it and that its original creators will not be receiving the credit they are due.

33 minutes ago, Squad Fox said:

So far the reception on the mod you hear from the average players on the servers when playing is that they think this is actual content released by OWI. In many of the promo material it comes across as it was made by OWI. I don't think the majority of the playerbase realizes that this is not OWI that made it and that its original creators will not be receiving the credit they are due.

Since people often don't bother themselves of doing researches it won't change anytime soon. And this fact gets more hilarious when they started complaining about that DLC. 

23 hours ago, Squad Fox said:

I don't think the majority of the playerbase realizes that this is not OWI that made it and that its original creators will not be receiving the credit they are due.

I was curious to learn more about the mod team - the creators, a mod web site etc. after release. Basic google fu didn't turn anything up sooo I ended up joining their discord. If I hadn't I really wouldn't have any idea who the creators are. Furthermore I've heard they are now a part of OWI??? So in theory they are apart of the Squad team proper now.

It's all a bit confusing

Posted (edited)
On 28/07/2019 at 7:03 PM, Axel said:

Good question.

I wonder what the Modders get in return from OWI, for letting their work being advertised as "first free DLC" for Squad.

personally i'd just like consideration of inclusion of my mod, weather added to the base or as updatable DLC, into the game and the credit for creation of it. i'm doing my mod basically for the love of it and plan on releasing it free for everyone to enjoy.

11 hours ago, Captain Morgan said:

So in theory they are apart of the Squad team proper now.

some modders have been picked up by the dev team (ChanceBrahh is one, iirc) because of their input and skills.

Edited by LaughingJack

A lot of the modders who are working on CAF have been hired by OWI because of their work on the project but it's not 1-1 for mod developers being OWI developers.

I know the character artist and a couple of the weapons artists were hired but no idea about the rest of the team.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, LaughingJack said:

personally i'd just like consideration of inclusion of my mod, weather added to the base or as updatable DLC, into the game and the credit for creation of it. i'm doing my mod basically for the love of it and plan on releasing it free for everyone to enjoy.

It great that OWI recognizes how powerful a playerbase with modding interest and a game that is modable is (Considering Squad having its own roots in such environment with Project Reality) and finding ways to include/recognize mods/modders. My concern is that OWI might be forgetting it. You as mod creator should be recognized as the creator of your work, not OWI. If OWI makes it intentionally to seam like the content is created by them as content that we consumers have paid for in the game it could be false advertising and you as a mod creator might be taken for a ride (Which I hope is not the case). As I stated before every player i met on the servers i played on since release have been talking about the CAF DLC as if it was content made by OWI and not by a modder. I heard players compliment OWI in squad VOIP when they encounterd the CAF content. I myself thought it was OWI made content until I got curious why they would be releasing it as a DLC and not into the game directly, Thats when I started to read properly through the PR material and even then it was not clear that it was not OWI that made this content.
Credit should go where credit is due.

Edited by Squad Fox

Just because you or others are unable to read any reference to how the content got included in the game and make wrong assumptions, doesn't mean that it has to be written all other the place. Owi did nothing wrong in here