garack

Why all these Fog now? IS squad going causal?

Stoped a while after 2k hours. now with v15 i see all the fog on every map, no perma death, bad visuals.. i really loved squad but now its going into causal COD way.

i can only see few hundreds with these ugly fog now.

(also never from closed alpha i had so many crashes)

Edited by garack

These are all performance updates!! 

Because loads of people have potato pc the rest of us have to suffer 

hopefully perma death will be back at some point 

OWI is testing ways of doing fog, especially for certain big maps, as with the addition of helicopters coming soon, height based fog will be needed. 

As in previous patches, we've seen fog be added, then changed, reduced or removed. It's nothing new, just OWI wanting to test different things out.

8 hours ago, garack said:

Stoped a while after 2k hours. now with v15 i see all the fog on every map, no perma death, bad visuals.. i really loved squad but now its going into causal COD way.

i can only see few hundreds with these ugly fog now.

(also never from closed alpha i had so many crashes)

First of all. Yes. It´s becoming casual. Join the club of people advocating for a PR mod.

Maybe it has to do with something else …

BF 2 PR had an artificially limited view distance. 

Some of us said a long time ago that choppers without artificial fog would be VERY HARD to implement.

Having realistic ranges for weapons (AA) and something flying over in a 4km x 4km map would make it almost imposible for pilots. Some people who want absolute relistic imitation of reality weapons and ranges don´t want to have any fog. Some others say a bit of artificial fog will make the implementation of choppers much easier and a more enjoyable experience in general.

Them: "We want more optimization in Squad, I can't run this shit for crap!"

Devs: *Optimizes game* Alright, we've made the visual a little easier for your machines.

Them: "Oh my god! The graphics are so shitty, this game is going down hill so fast..."

Devs:  ._____.  

Reminds me of the Sumari layer a few patches ago where somebody got a little carried away with the fog. Thank god its gone now. Under the right lighting like on an overcast day fog looks correct otherwise on sunny days it looks really out of place like on a couple of the layers of Fools Road and Kohat that look like L.A. smog or forest fire smoke.

It's not that the games looks worse. Imho the game looks the best in V15, but adding a crappy fog is just stupid. I've seen on reddit a guy showing off a new map, idk if it was an official map or a mod, but the fog was so bad that you can't see shit beyond 50 meters. If that is a new map it will take its rightful place at my Alt+F4 list right next to Talil (fine if you are in a tank, horrible for infantry). 

I don't think that adding limited view distance has anything to do with Squad moving towards a more casual experience. It's just a sign that the DEVs' pipe dream of unlimited view distance has finally crashed into the constraints of reality.

(Pretty much anyone who has seen any of my posts ever knows I consider Squad way too casual, I just don't think that has a connection with the fog.)

The other day I played Scorpo. It was really sad. They basically ruined a prettymap. They've put dense fog with rain showers every 4 seconds. It looks horrendous and my eyes started to hurt after 30 minutes of play. All squadmates were complaining about it.

Sometimes you must ask yourselves do devs sometimes even play their own game?

Edited by Rainmaker

7 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Sometimes you must ask yourselves do devs sometimes even play their own game?

Quite sure they do, or they wouldn't be able to optimize it.

just played the new manic map, saw nothing then fog, Battlefield has more viewdistance now..sad.

On 25.7.2019 at 3:19 AM, Dubs said:

OWI is testing ways of doing fog, especially for certain big maps, as with the addition of helicopters coming soon, height based fog will be needed. 

As in previous patches, we've seen fog be added, then changed, reduced or removed. It's nothing new, just OWI wanting to test different things out.

As in certain Talill layouts, the FOG is pretty much useless when the background colour is not the same colour as the fog. Speaking about the new map Nanisivik, one can easily look beyond the 2 km range because int he white fog the vehicles are just black rock-like moving objects. The view is more difficult but not like it would hide the enemy. With high fire power, which is normaly well equipped with good long range scopes, the fog does pretty much the exact opposite of what it currently should do.

Au contraire, having a look at Fool's Road the fog is so dense that at certain lookouts the screen just goes blank lookg further than 200m.

And finally having a word about Mestia, this map is the epitome of not rendering assets beyond 150m.

With low graphical settings, anything beyond 50m not beeing a tree does not get rendered anymore - just lookign through ANY scope.

With the combination of earlier mentioned high fire power, long range, fog and good scopes hiding in fog is pretty much more useless than just running over the icy plains in Nanisivik because the enemy can't react to all squads running openly over it without reloading at least once!