Mellanbror

Feedback on current development.

1 hour ago, Zylfrax791 said:

The simple fact that you can't even articulate your point in an intelligent and thoughtful manner without resorting to trivial put downs speaks volumes really.

Honestly mate, you haven't got the faintest idea of what you're talking about. You don't make any valid arguments yourself, but you thrive on demanding that others prove their claims to you. 

1 hour ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Bottom line, from all appearances Squad is infinitely more complex plus has many more features and attributes than PR ever had so logically it would seem to be for all intents and purposes the true "spiritual successor" after all.

You argue based on your wildly inaccurate assumptions and shreds of information you've overheard in other threads or whatever meager research you've bothered to have done. By your own admission you haven't played PR, and you probably never will. How dare you simply presume that you are this authority on which game is more complex, has more features or follows in the other's footsteps? You're literally just guessing at this point. I'm sorry, I've tried to humor you but at this stage I just can't take you seriously. You're nothing more than a thinly veiled troll, stirring up trouble and playing everything up for some imaginary audience of yours.

Edited by MultiSquid

Last chance to keep this thread on track, if it continues in to back & forth bickering, I'll be locking the thread.

Cleaned up some posts.

In the humble opinion of a newer player, (I say newer in comparison to OP, with 130 hours) I really like the game as it is now, I played it a little many versions ago and easily got board of it, leaving it and playing something more fast paced. I understand the appeal of a slower more milsim feel for lack of a better word. But with the current fast paced climate of gaming, I'm  talking the massive current popularity of BR games. The best bet squad has to attract newer players is to keep the pace of the game at a reasonably quick level. As it stands now, the BR system achieves this quick pace and in the future, helicopters will too. I feel Squad finds the G spot between Battlefield and Arma if I'm comparing current gaming franchises. As much as a minority or even a majority of the current player base want slower gameplay. The fact remains if squad wants to continue to grow, it still needs a fast paced element keep drawing new players in.

13 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

The simple fact that you can't even articulate your point in an intelligent and thoughtful manner without resorting to trivial put downs speaks volumes really.

Bottom line, from all appearances Squad is infinitely more complex plus has many more features and attributes than PR ever had so logically it would seem to be for all intents and purposes the true "spiritual successor" after all.

As already been pointed out you're just guessing things again.

Squad is ~30% of PR and the only one in the world who doubts that seems to be you. Try to research more before posting further, also use my post as a reference since it has all the main difference points.

@Marco so do you think there's only players like you exist? There's different types of "new players" to draw. By the game's nature you'd want to draw people closer to the milsim side just to have anyone willing to SL (you know, those guys who basically make or break the game for everyone)

Edited by rincewind

21 minutes ago, rincewind said:

so do you think there's only players like you exist? There's different types of "new players" to draw. By the game's nature you'd want to draw people closer to the milsim side just to have anyone willing to SL (you know, those guys who basically make or break the game for everyone)

I dont think only players like me exist, I'm expressing an opinion on the current development and BR system like the OP

3 hours ago, Marco said:

But with the current fast paced climate of gaming, I'm  talking the massive current popularity of BR games. The best bet squad has to attract newer players is to keep the pace of the game at a reasonably quick level. As it stands now, the BR system achieves this quick pace and in the future, helicopters will too.

I wouldn't undercut how far things have come in the last few years. Arma influenced games are now mainstream, and Battlefield and Call of Duty are now tripping over each other trying to follow them.

I mean, these are the same games that kick you to the main menu you when you die, right? These are tactical shooters.

On 2019-07-25 at 1:06 PM, Thr34t said:

When you are surrounding yourself with like minded people it is easy to believe you are the majority.  I still believe you are the minority. 

I was just playing on servers. It was not a conscious effort to surround myself with likeminded. I play in M, definitely not living in a world of confirmation bias, as the PR fan I am. 

That said, after long discussions, no one I know of, likes (how, at least) the implementation of BRP.

Also, I wrote that me and the likeminded,  according to my belief, was not a minority to be ignored. At the least. 

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 8:30 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

Dude...you´re just embarrassing yourself now.

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 6:28 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

If you were truly concerned with fact checking you'd see there is very little public demand in the marketplace for an exact Project Reality clone. Luckily, OWI was intelligent enough to see that a MilSim/Arcade might stand a chance in an already heavily saturated genre.

My god….that is exactly what PR is. A Milsim/arcade game!!!....

Really...I´ll just stop Reading your comments because you are just  stubborn and ignorant on this topic.

I´ve even read you wrote something that players in PR wanted to role play and wanted to practice things like "wedge" formations and stuff..

Dude...really… just let it go. OR at least wathc a YouTube video of a PR round. I really think you think PR is some kind of ARMA with worse graphics and free...lol

Edited by Nightingale87

On 7/26/2019 at 2:38 PM, Zylfrax791 said:

Military Murder Simulators like Squad are a dime a dozen, they typically have a reasonably short life cycle of a few years and once the playership drops to a certain number you see an exponential cascading failure whereupon the plug to the authentication server gets pulled and then you can't play at all. I've got an entire library of these relics, in fact I've still got an extra sealed box copy of BF2 sitting on my shelf I bought on sale back in the day in case my friend wanted one. He didn't... lol... so there it sits.

This is exactly what didn't happen to PR and there is a solid reason why... It's gameplay is unique and fun. And most probably it would still be in it's high gear if Squad didn't emerged.  

Just think about this: BF2 servers where closed but mod continued to live. They made their own master (authentication) server and launcher. That's how epic Project Realty truly is. You can still find couple servers with 100 players populated on working days. During weekends it's even better. For a game that was made in 2005 that's pretty cool considering official game ceased to exist (EA's master server is down and game is multiplayer oriented). It's not shiny anymore, graphics and engine are crap for current games but gameplay... oh boy... that thing... GAMEPLAY IS SECOND TO NONE! The scale, the realism, the fun, the teamwork... blend was perfect. Result of collaboration of many gifted individuals in a hefty amount of time.

It's not the question if squad is spiritual successor of PR or not... It's very simple... Squad would NOT EXIST if there was no Project Realty. Early project leads came from PR. Most of early developers came from PR. Ideas came from PR. Funding for the game (steams's greenlight and kickstarter) came from people that played PR (aka founders).

Squad is not INNOVATION but EVOLUTION of decade old gamplay... carefully brewed and tested in tight community. Many people influenced PR. Check out how many people developed PR (in their free time, as pure amateurs -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur ). And the very sad fact is... this community (PR's developers, contributors and players) is minority here. Yet we tasted forbidden fruit so to speak... which is going to be forgotten even before it got memorized. That is so painful to see. Especially since we witnessed decline of Project Reality... Decline that happend for all the wrong reasons (as graphics/engine getting old).

PR's ex-developers are not getting back. Some of PR's developers are now part of OWI. There was a split that happened when Squad was born. New faces came to PR, yes, but there was a major disruption in flow of development. New PR's developers need to grow, learn and evolve. How much time will pass before another "PR2" attempt will happen? If ever? As time goes by, less and less people are drawn to PR and are willing to look past old graphics. That is why some of us feel as all hopes lies in Squad... and this is the reason why we are getting more and more upset...

With game getting bigger, we are going to be even bigger minority... and that is unsettling! Especially, since in last few patches there is shift from milsim to arcade part of spectrum. We once played ****ing amaizing game and all we want is to SHARE THAT EXPERIENCE! And as we see it, it's only beneficial to OWI if they stay on the shoulders of the giants! It's goldmine for them and amazing gaming experience for us.

WE DON'T WANT PR:SQUAD! WE WANT SQUAD TO BE PR AS THAT IS ONE FRICKING BEAUTIFUL INNOVATIVE GAMING EXPERIENCE!!!

Founder, +1000 hours, PR Vet. With that said, rally's worked in PR, and the beginning of this games life, they dont fit the meta anymore I don't think, at least not BRP. No permanent death now makes me feel like I'm playing BF3 and has less consequences for being shot now. Love the game otherwise still.

Hua.

Edited by BlackDog1247

OWI should just introduce a Casual Normal/Hardcore mode for server owners and just see which is the most popular. We are still in the games experimental stage after all. My thoughts are most ex-PR and long term players will favour hardcore with new players playing normal just like used to happen in BF4.

Normal - as now BRP, no dead-dead, fast running etc

Hardcore - remove BRP, bring back dead-dead, slower run speed etc (maybe even elaborate on injured state more until healed by medic)

Just two modes are only required. It won't split the community as we'll all be playing the Squad we desire. The split comes from those not enjoying the game play path the devs have chosen and moving onto something else.

19 minutes ago, Major Trouble said:

OWI should just introduce a Casual Normal/Hardcore mode for server owners and just see which is the most popular. We are still in the games experimental stage after all. My thoughts are most ex-PR and long term players will favour hardcore with new players playing normal just like used to happen in BF4.

Normal - as now BRP, no dead-dead, fast running etc

Hardcore - remove BRP, bring back dead-dead, slower run speed etc (maybe even elaborate on injured state more until healed by medic)

Just two modes are only required. It won't split the community as we'll all be playing the Squad we desire. The split comes from those not enjoying the game play path the devs have chosen and moving onto something else.

+1

that´s a start. and 90% of the way too.

true

test everything.

or make the next patch more "hardcore" and put up a poll and gather some [length of game session /player number/ server filled] stats to get feedback.