Squad is the spitirual successor of... Battlefield 2!

I came to this conclusion after thinking how similar the history of BF2 and Squad are, forget the "spiritual successor of Project Reality", that is a thing of the past, Squad is on another level now, heading each time closer to the Battlefield series: mediocrity

here's how I think BF2 and Squad are similar, and Squad is indeed the true spiritual successor of BF2:

2004 - BF2 demo shows how awesome BF2 will be (schedueled to release in 2005)

2014 - Squad is shown on the PR forums, and we crapped our pants, it will be awesome

2005 - BF2 releases, but DICE starts changing the game drastically (thanks EA, you suck) and shifiting it from its original plan

2015-2019 - Squad does the same thing, so many bad choices in the game design I wont talk here

2005 - Project Reality mod is born, and still alive, fixing mistakes and making what BF2 should have been in the first place

2019-2020 - Will we have a PR mod being born? if so, this will conclude the final step in making Squad the true spiritual successor of BF2

fixing such severe mistakes can only be done in a mod, at least Squad has mod support (thanks DEVs) like BF2 did, and when this happens, Squad will be the true successor of BF2, because they will have a lot in common that it cant be denied

Now I understand why changes were (and are) being made, because 99% of the players are not PR vets, and really making a true spiritual successor of PR would not "sell well" or "please most players", because PR is hardcore, and was made for "special players", but I feel sad to have helped this game in the past, and now years later to see how far away it really is from what I envisioned it would be

I find myself playing this game each time less and less, because I find it hard to "bear its standard" now, but also because of lack of time

But not all is lost, there is the mod support and a big community, hopefully Squad will continue to be updated in the next years, and something cool may come, like DEVs like to say "soon", so who knows...

Minus the Central American theme honestly at this stage Squad seems way more like the spiritual successor to Joint Operations which Novalogic promised my old community; Delta Force: Angel Falls than BF2.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Force:_Angel_Falls

Modding BF2 into PR was something that people did in their spare time for fun whilst developing a stand alone game for a living means creating a product that appeals to a new generation and turns a profit so you can pay your mortgage, car payment and kids braces. I'm no sycophant but by being patient most likely you guys will eventually get your PR clone and then just like PR hardly anyone will be playing it relative to the bigger picture.

45 minutes ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Minus the Central American theme honestly at this stage Squad seems way more like the spiritual successor to Joint Operations which Novalogic promised my old community; Delta Force: Angel Falls than BF2.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Force:_Angel_Falls

Modding BF2 into PR was something that people did in their spare time for fun whilst developing a stand alone game for a living means creating a product that appeals to a new generation and turns a profit so you can pay your mortgage, car payment and kids braces. I'm no sycophant but by being patient most likely you guys will eventually get your PR clone and then just like PR hardly anyone will be playing it relative to the bigger picture.

You seriously should try playing a couple of rounds of project reality, then you'll see how squad is the spiritual successor to PR. I've only played a little bit of Joint Operations back in the day, but from what i saw it was nothing like squad. Just seemed like another death match shooter from what i saw. Seems to me like you're trying to shoehorn in JO to much. Also, you got to give PR the respect it deserves. It's not as popular as it used to be. But the game is still going after all these year. Not may games have such a long life time. And with out PR, squad would never exist.

35 minutes ago, Jiggerlube said:

You seriously should try playing a couple of rounds of project reality, then you'll see how squad is the spiritual successor to PR. I've only played a little bit of Joint Operations back in the day, but from what i saw it was nothing like squad. Just seemed like another death match shooter from what i saw. Seems to me like you're trying to shoehorn in JO to much. Also, you got to give PR the respect it deserves. It's not as popular as it used to be. But the game is still going after all these year. Not may games have such a long life time. And with out PR, squad would never exist.

Please stop trying to memory hole the timeline of who did what. Joint Operations was way more than just TDM.

Novalogic invented AAS mode in 2004 with Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising. BF2 came out in 2005 and didn't even have that game mode and then PR copied it from Joint Operations adding the ticket system and external user placed spawn points. Thats the factual timeline.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_And_Secure

2 hours ago, Jiggerlube said:

Don´t bother. He won´t do it. He would have to change his mind and I don´t think he is the kind of people who changes mind.

3 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Modding BF2 into PR was something that people did in their spare time for fun …

So...it has happened once. It can happen again.

3 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

being patient most likely you guys will eventually get your PR clone and then just like PR hardly anyone will be playing it relative to the bigger picture.

Who cares about the "big picture"? 

I still play PR and most people haven´t even Heard about it. The size of the community is much less important than the quality.

Again...all things that you would know if you had played PR.

4 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

Please stop trying to memory hole the timeline of who did what. Joint Operations was way more than just TDM.

Novalogic invented AAS mode in 2004 with Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising. BF2 came out in 2005 and didn't even have that game mode and then PR copied it from Joint Operations adding the ticket system and external user placed spawn points. Thats the factual timeline.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_And_Secure

So project reality copied a game mode for Joint Operations, ok that's one.  Did it also get the concept that every player in the server is a part of a squad? the idea of a squad leader and his kit? Insurgency game mode? player build-able Firebases. Rally points? The idea of dedicated crewmen? a supply system? But id say the biggest this is the communication and team work, till i played PR, i never played an FPS where people communicated so much through the Microphone on such a consistent bases. i was looking at JO game play videos on youtube, but it looked a lot closer to ARMA domination mode then Squad.

6 hours ago, Zylfrax791 said:

-snip-

I always said Squad had the JointOps theme to it(I can taste it),I know some of our Devs (Past/Present) were Big DF: Fans & of course PR included.

JointOps...Daddy of AAS! I miss those massive Maps & 200players and those  long hours in battle.

9 hours ago, Jiggerlube said:

So project reality copied a game mode for Joint Operations, ok that's one.  Did it also get the concept that every player in the server is a part of a squad? the idea of a squad leader and his kit? Insurgency game mode? player build-able Firebases. Rally points? The idea of dedicated crewmen? a supply system? But id say the biggest this is the communication and team work, till i played PR, i never played an FPS where people communicated so much through the Microphone on such a consistent bases. i was looking at JO game play videos on youtube, but it looked a lot closer to ARMA domination mode then Squad.

The concepts of squads most likely came from the original 2001 Ghost Recon which had them first along with a whole host of other features/modes that seemingly got integrated into many later games in the genre. Plus the GR modding community was huge.

As far as JO AAS mode goes you don't have to watch videos to get a feel for how it plays out you can just buy it on Steam and actually play it for yourself as it's still a fully functional game and currently this minute has 9 players online worldwide so PR has it completely beaten in that respect with a whopping 51!

https://www.realitymod.com/prspy/

https://steamcharts.com/app/32770

Regardless of all this arguing about semantics specific as to who did this or that first the fact remains that Squad is the only game left in the genre that has AAS mode.

Not only that, in my mind with intelligent programming OWI has completely perfected the mode with RAAS combined with Fog Of War which is absolute genius in the way the matches play out. So face it, times change and along with it games evolve. Very few people would play an exact Joint Operations clone anymore than they would play a Project Reality clone as both would simply be niche products.

That's why the game has to evolve towards a product that continuously appeals to a younger generation in the mainstream in order to drive sales on Steam. That's simple marketing, evolve or die.

On 7/19/2019 at 10:49 AM, Hotpokkaminny said:

no one played your shit game and I have no idea why you two boomers keep going on about it

Actually quite a few people played these games. you are dead wrong. have a nice day.

13 hours ago, Jiggerlube said:

Actually quite a few people played these games. you are dead wrong. have a nice day.

I am referring to Join Operations

these two head cases go on about it constantly as if anyone knows what it is

suggesting Squad started as anything but a PR spiritual successor (a term I hate) is pure delusion

2 hours ago, Hotpokkaminny said:

I am referring to Join Operations

these two head cases go on about it constantly as if anyone knows what it is

suggesting Squad started as anything but a PR spiritual successor (a term I hate) is pure delusion

Please if you took the time to actually read previous interviews with the devs instead of simply referring to them as "incompetent and cowardly" you'd see that many of them came from Rainbow Six, Delta Force and Ghost Recon communities which were actually around before BF2 even existed let alone the mod. Furthermore, here is just one quote from irontaxi:

I totally came from delta force myself. 

I mapped religiously for it and always enjoyed the comparatively slower pace..now my brain was a lot quicker at that time mind

you so it might just have been as spammy as COD.. hehe

Watching BF4 videos hurts my brain.. so much wasted potential but i suppose they are commercially successful. thats something.

As anyone knows I'm the last person thats a shill for this game or an orbiter for the devs but at least get your facts straight.

I do believe that our Devs experiences in DF:/JointOps/BF/PR etc is what is Pushing this game to be what they want to be...(another classic).

I'm getting Old to this Shenanigans by a few Raging has lost his Rage...

But those who are to young & naive. DeltaForce 1998 was “Birth of the Modern Military Shooter”  Nuff said!

This is  why we have so many Shooters to this date & this includes "Squad"

Peace Out...